U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,073 times

Advertisements

So did you wind up purchasing? We were also looking for a vacation home--nervous about the month to month costs to maintain the second property. We have been looking at the Hideout, Masthope, WLE.... which area has more vacationers than full time residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmm View Post
I agree with mathjak107; lower taxes by the way in pike county. Beautiful area; I have been going to lake wallenpaupack as a kid and we liked the area so much we moved to hemlock farms. Many amenities, spread out over 4500 acres so you have your privacy, lakes, pools outside and indoor, public safety, fire dept., library, churches for most faiths. I met lifetime friends there. Nice waterfalls to see close to hemlock farms, Milford is a charming town to visit and there are nice restaurants there and Promised land state park is wonderful. I think you will find plenty to do in hemlock farms. Great deals in there too. Investment? No one knows what the future holds but if you can get a good deal and enjoy it with your family for many years it is priceless. You can opt to rent for a month if you are interested in hemlock farms. If you don't want to have the big community feel then think about buying a vacation home at lake wallenpaupack. The main attraction is the lake; the only community I would recommend there is wallenpaupack lake estates although it isn't the greatest. Masthope is nice especially if you and your family ski. The ski lift is right there at the community. Message me anytime if you want as there are many things to consider and research before buying. It is worth it in the end.
It's been a few years since your original post. Wondering if you are still living at Hemlock Farms and would be interested in hearing your thoughts about the community. Thanks..

Old 07-04-2014, 05:17 PM

Did you wind up buying at the Hideout?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:53 AM

4,963 posts, read 3,934,893 times
We had a home for sale in WLE for almost 2 years. Had just one offer, lowered the price 4 times and in the end we just rented it out recently. The prices there are really low, the amenities are great. However, we probably bought at the peak and of course then it sank. We were willing to loose $40k and that was ok with us ; not that we could afford it, but we were reasonable.

Hopefully this renter will be ok.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM

7 posts, read 9,007 times
Lots of crime here thanks to druggies. Stay away if you're smart.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 PM

152 posts, read 352,670 times
Just take a look at Big Bass Lake. It's a very nice community.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:06 PM

749 posts, read 673,720 times
As a New Yorker that fell in love with the Lake Wallenpaupak area and Hawley PA, I can say the market did take a really bad turn and has not come back as strongly as other areas in NY and Florida for instance. We bought a forclosure in Hemlock Farms that needed a gut renovation about five years ago. We love the community (even with some strict rules) and can see the quality of life for most residants is high. This may be due to the highest yearly dues of any of local communities. But we likely would not recoup all the money put into our house over the last five or so years. Maybe in another five, who knows for sure.

Personally, I would not buy as an investment unless your thoughts were long term (as in 10 years or more). We thought the values would have gone up a lot faster. This area, like so many vacation spots, is dependent on 2nd home income capabilities. Until the economy gets to the point where New Yorkers have the extra income again to buy that 2nd vacation home, things will move slowly. It is a great place to get a way to and we enjoy visiting monthly, but it adds up to much more than if we just stayed at a motel or Bed and Breakfast for that same overnight once a month or so.

Do the math, speak to multiple realtors (they mostly have different opinions, so try finding ones that live in some of the communities for more than eight years), and visit for yourself. The more you see, the more people you meet locally, the better picture will be painted. Gated communities tend to be more expensive, like Hemlock, but you do get a nice place, that is safe, clean and well kept. These are things that will help hold value. You will have to comply with all the rules though, so there are trade offs (I wish we could ride golf carts or ATV's on our roads here, but no such luck). In the end, if you use the place for yourself, then it won't matter if the values take longer to go up.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:37 AM

13,202 posts, read 10,601,780 times
What do they say: Location, location, location. If you chose the right location; it will hold it's value. But choosing the "right" location is not always that easy. Sometimes even great neighborhoods can go down the crapper.

I will say this for my Monroe County: things are changing. Good investors know when and how to invest in our real estate market. We have that huge new water park going in along side of Rt. I-380. There is supposed to be other commercial development on Rt. 940 besides Kalahari. Route 611 is seeing more development and you can say the same for Rt. 209 through Brodheadsville.

I know that many of the jobs created will be low paying jobs - but some will not. How all of this plays out in the end is a mystery. There will be winners and losers. The smart investors will keep up with the changes and proposed changes and anticipate the market. Of course many of us will be a day late and a dollar short!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:23 PM

129 posts, read 239,111 times
I am a resident of Hemlock farms and you really need to come and spend time there; touring, checking out facilities etc. It is truly a well maintained community with so much to do and yet very private. Great place to raise a family, retire etc. Values went down because of so many foreclosures and short sales. Huge communities hurt more because of the large no. of properties. Enjoy the time there; use it yourself, rent at times if you are interested. As far as buying, there are fabulous deals out there. Good deals in the small communities but you don't have as many amenities. It all depends what is most impt to you. I would be glad to answer questions you have; best lakes to swim and fish in, upcoming projects, the many clubs, ice skating, hiking, cross country skiing, biking, tennis, lower tax areas, best deals available now etc.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:31 AM

163 posts, read 144,935 times
How is Paupackan Lake estates anybody thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania