U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-08-2018, 04:27 AM
 
2,656 posts, read 2,822,870 times
Reputation: 2120

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
My husband and I live in Tannersville.

...
So I am in Florida right now enjoying the gorgeous weather in Cocoa Beach.

Florida has it's problems too but at least here they can get the power back in a few days after a hurricane. Up there it's like the Keystone Cops trying to restore order. The incompetence is mind boggling.

I just found out my friend was stranded in his car for 2- count 'em- 2 days in the Shop Rite parking lot in Mt. Pocono. People were stranded on 80- some for 18+ hours.

If I had my way I would never step foot in that godforsaken area again...
Florida also does a better job getting the roads cleared up
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2018, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,153 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Florida also does a better job getting the roads cleared up

It never clears the roads of the love bugs! Talk about an insect that loves to die happy on your windshield!

They can keep their heat and humidity; not to mention major fires, smoke and hurricanes! Don't forget getting swallowed up by a large sinkhole or bitten in the butt by a shark or alligator while wading at Disney World! They also have a few traffic problems; including Kamikaze drivers in the Miami area!

I'm happy where I live!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2018, 06:17 AM
 
230 posts, read 99,292 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Florida also does a better job getting the roads cleared up
Yes Florida does a great job at clearing the 12+ inches of snow that regularly falls every snow storm!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2018, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,153 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
Yes Florida does a great job at clearing the 12+ inches of snow that regularly falls every snow storm!!
Many Southern states close the doors if they see a flake! They do not have the equipment.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2018, 09:09 PM
 
2,656 posts, read 2,822,870 times
Reputation: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
...

So I am in Florida right now enjoying the gorgeous weather in Cocoa Beach.

Florida has it's problems too but at least here they can get the power back in a few days after a hurricane. Up there it's like the Keystone Cops trying to restore order. The incompetence is mind boggling.

I just found out my friend was stranded in his car for 2- count 'em- 2 days in the Shop Rite parking lot in Mt. Pocono. People were stranded on 80- some for 18+ hours.

If I had my way I would never step foot in that godforsaken area again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Florida also does a better job getting the roads cleared up
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It never clears the roads of the love bugs! Talk about an insect that loves to die happy on your windshield!

They can keep their heat and humidity; not to mention major fires, smoke and hurricanes! Don't forget getting swallowed up by a large sinkhole or bitten in the butt by a shark or alligator while wading at Disney World! They also have a few traffic problems; including Kamikaze drivers in the Miami area!

I'm happy where I live!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
Yes Florida does a great job at clearing the 12+ inches of snow that regularly falls every snow storm!!
Hmmm...maybe that explains it!

I wonder if it's easier to restore power in flat lands with underground power and few trees in warm weather too?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Tannersville, PA
161 posts, read 166,002 times
Reputation: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Florida also does a better job getting the roads cleared up
Florida just has *better* roads- period. I pay less for gas here, and they do a good job of keeping the roads in decent shape.

We pay through the nose for gas in PA- highest gas tax in the entire country- and the roads are horrible...

All that tax money is lining somebody's pocket because it sure as heck isn't going to fix our lousy roads...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Tannersville, PA
161 posts, read 166,002 times
Reputation: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It never clears the roads of the love bugs! Talk about an insect that loves to die happy on your windshield!

They can keep their heat and humidity; not to mention major fires, smoke and hurricanes! Don't forget getting swallowed up by a large sinkhole or bitten in the butt by a shark or alligator while wading at Disney World! They also have a few traffic problems; including Kamikaze drivers in the Miami area!

I'm happy where I live!
I haven't encountered "love bugs" yet... so I guess I'm going to find out what those are.

Heat and humidity- yes... but... I have seen it just as hot in the Pocono's and no ocean breezes to make it feel better. There is *always* a breeze here.

Sinkholes... not in this area. Brevard county is pretty much free of sinkholes. And there have been a bunch in PA and other coal areas as well. There has also been an underground fire that's been burning in Centralia, PA for decades and forced an entire town to flee.

Alligators- sorry- but you won't really see any here in Cocoa Beach. I don't worry about them.

Traffic problems- that's pretty funny. Most weekends in summer, especially when there's a race- route 611 is pretty much impassable because of traffic so forget about going anywhere.

Hurricanes... tell me- which state has suffered the most damage in the past 10 years from hurricanes- Florida? Or New York with Sandy?

Just saying.

No place is perfect, but at least here I wake up to sunshine nearly every day instead of the 9 months of snow, rain, or grey cloudy skies I get up in PA.

I love it here...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Tannersville, PA
161 posts, read 166,002 times
Reputation: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Hmmm...maybe that explains it!

I wonder if it's easier to restore power in flat lands with underground power and few trees in warm weather too?
We don't all have underground power. Where I am staying I have poles just like PA. Depends on the area. Older neighborhoods have poles.

And when the power does go out, FP&L does a much better job than PP&L at getting it back. And electric is a lot cheaper here...

My husband was just out for 7 days and that period of time just about fried our whole house generator.

Tired of it all up there...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,153 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
I haven't encountered "love bugs" yet... so I guess I'm going to find out what those are.

Heat and humidity- yes... but... I have seen it just as hot in the Pocono's and no ocean breezes to make it feel better. There is *always* a breeze here.

Sinkholes... not in this area. Brevard county is pretty much free of sinkholes. And there have been a bunch in PA and other coal areas as well. There has also been an underground fire that's been burning in Centralia, PA for decades and forced an entire town to flee.

Alligators- sorry- but you won't really see any here in Cocoa Beach. I don't worry about them.

Traffic problems- that's pretty funny. Most weekends in summer, especially when there's a race- route 611 is pretty much impassable because of traffic so forget about going anywhere.

Hurricanes... tell me- which state has suffered the most damage in the past 10 years from hurricanes- Florida? Or New York with Sandy?

Just saying.

No place is perfect, but at least here I wake up to sunshine nearly every day instead of the 9 months of snow, rain, or grey cloudy skies I get up in PA.

I love it here...
The love bugs do have a breeding season and that is when they come out. They are 'stuck' together when you hit them with your car. Wash your car immediately after encountering large groups of these bugs; their residue will eat the paint: Lovebugs can do more to your car than leave a mess - Orlando Sentinel.

Of course I did not mention your fire ants: red imported fire ant - Solenopsis invicta.

As far as heat and humidity: I could pull into our terminals down there and as soon as I stepped on the pavement; I started sweating! It would not be bad if that was the middle of the day; but many times is was the middle of the night! It was too hot for me!

OK; so sink holes are close to your area - but not in your area: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...egCqkQ9QEIKzAA. You'll be safe if you don't come out to play! My area is safe from mine subsidence - I will not go out to play! OK, so maybe Centralia forced a town to flee; but many Florida fires cover hundreds of thousands of acres and force many to flee. I have been on the highways down there with the flames licking the major interstates. Your smoke does not even smell like 'normal' smoke. You'll find out.

As far as alligators where you live; no I have not seen any - but don't turn your back on the underbrush!

You're complaining about Pocono race traffic! Wait until you have a Daytona 500 down there! You think that 65 miles away is enough to buffer you from race traffic!

Hurricanes: Which state just evacuated pretty much the whole state! They were lucky this time. You do know that most of your roads are only 10 to 20 feet above sea level - I don't mean to make you worry.

Enjoy the sun while you can and I am happy that you found a place you like!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Tannersville, PA
161 posts, read 166,002 times
Reputation: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The love bugs do have a breeding season and that is when they come out. They are 'stuck' together when you hit them with your car. Wash your car immediately after encountering large groups of these bugs; their residue will eat the paint: Lovebugs can do more to your car than leave a mess - Orlando Sentinel.

Of course I did not mention your fire ants: red imported fire ant - Solenopsis invicta.

As far as heat and humidity: I could pull into our terminals down there and as soon as I stepped on the pavement; I started sweating! It would not be bad if that was the middle of the day; but many times is was the middle of the night! It was too hot for me!

OK; so sink holes are close to your area - but not in your area: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...egCqkQ9QEIKzAA. You'll be safe if you don't come out to play! My area is safe from mine subsidence - I will not go out to play! OK, so maybe Centralia forced a town to flee; but many Florida fires cover hundreds of thousands of acres and force many to flee. I have been on the highways down there with the flames licking the major interstates. Your smoke does not even smell like 'normal' smoke. You'll find out.

As far as alligators where you live; no I have not seen any - but don't turn your back on the underbrush!

You're complaining about Pocono race traffic! Wait until you have a Daytona 500 down there! You think that 65 miles away is enough to buffer you from race traffic!

Hurricanes: Which state just evacuated pretty much the whole state! They were lucky this time. You do know that most of your roads are only 10 to 20 feet above sea level - I don't mean to make you worry.

Enjoy the sun while you can and I am happy that you found a place you like!
Thanks for the info on the love bugs. I knew nothing about them. I guess I need to find out where the nearest car wash is... ugh.

Florida fires cover hundreds of acres, but so do fires in California.

My friends house is only 5 feet above sea level. Yes I am aware of that. I believe there is one spot in FL where the elevation is 300+ feet. Somewhere in the panhandle hear the Georgia border. Wouldn't want to live there though...

I don't worry about alligators here at all. I'm more concerned about running into a coral snake. "Red next to yellow will kill a fellow..." But from what I've read coral snakes are not aggressive. Besides I have a big black racer that lives in the backyard and those supposedly will keep all the other snakes away. Fire ants I have not run into- yet. I have run into ghost ants in the kitchen but I put some ant stakes outside and that took care of the problem.

Traffic, yeah- traffic is a problem here too. You can't get away from it in any area with a lot of tourists.

I've been down here in summer. Yup. It's hot. There are about 3 months where it's brutal. But you go from an air conditioned house, to an air conditioned car, to an air conditioned store or restaurant, and home into your pool if you have one. And usually with fans you can still sit outside in the evening no matter how hot the day was because of the ocean breezes.

I'll take that over being stuck in the house because my driveway is a sheet of ice, or it's 20 degrees out. The heat may be bad, but it rarely forces one to be stuck in the house the way cold, snow, and ice do. Just saying...

I have friends nearby who moved down here from Penn Estates and they've been here 8 years. That's why I wanted to be in this area.

Yes, I am enjoying it. Looking for a house while I'm here so I can get to spend every winter here...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top