U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM

31 posts, read 30,401 times

Advertisements

I've been searching for a 2nd home in NEPA, and came across a large house in Nesquehoning which caught my eye. We have two children, and this house is plenty large enough for them to run around. The price is within my range. How is the Nesquehoning area as far as crime, schools, quality of life, etc..?

The only downside I see with this particular property is that the taxes are very high, even more so than where we currently live on Long Island. How does Carbon County determine tax rates? Is it possible or viable to try and contest the assessement in an attempt to get your taxes lowered?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:12 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,828,027 times
I can't speak to the area specifically, but I certainly wouldn't buy a house here with higher taxes than Long Island and then hope to get a lower assessment. Resale value out here, with few exceptions, is pretty abysmal.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:11 PM

130 posts, read 245,840 times
Was it in a Lake Hauto? That is a pretty high end and popular community in the area. I'm still surprised to hear about high taxes. Carbon County is considered pretty good compared to Monroe County right next door.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:40 PM

31 posts, read 30,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWag View Post
Was it in a Lake Hauto? That is a pretty high end and popular community in the area. I'm still surprised to hear about high taxes. Carbon County is considered pretty good compared to Monroe County right next door.
The listing indicates that the home is located in 'Hauto Estates' subdivision, although there is no mention as to whether it is in a community or not. It is an unusually large house, which I presume account for the higher taxes.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:18 AM

3,050 posts, read 2,511,904 times
Lake Hauto is high end? Well, I guess it is for Carbon County.

Crime isn't bad overall, but Nesquehoning is a bit of a dump aesthetically. Hauto Estates is removed from that for the most part but you won't be too close to any type of shopping with the exception of Redner's and a Super Walmart in Hometown.

Personally I just moved from Carbon County and would rather die than return there, but since you seem to be in a different life situation that I am your mileage may vary.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:41 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,820,987 times
Lake Hauto is nice enough to look at, especially as a second (i.e. weekend/vacation/maybe retire there someday...) place. As many places in NEPA (especially lakefront) the 'feel' and lifestyle varies a lot by season...winter could be rough at times, spring/fall great at times, summer 'busy'.The lake allows motors and ATVs but it isn't crazy. Taxes are high for the area as it is sorta 'exclusive' and private. There are clubs/associations etc. Lake Hauto Club

"Downtown" Nesquehoning is very different....an old coal town, as is much of the area. Not bad, just modest and old.

"Trendy" Jim Thorpe is about 20 minutes ... shops, dining, biking/hiking, tourists, scenic -> Jim Thorpe, PA's #1 Guide - See for Yourself

(As always...) it depends on what you seek. If lake living appeals and the drive is good, look a little closer. It will be very different than the NY or NJ shore. More like 'upstate'.

Very much a must see situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania