Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 AM

30 posts, read 69,262 times

Advertisements

Have any of you switched from Comcast to DirecTV? My husband and I have been contemplating it for a while now. My main concerns are:

- Do I get local channels (WNEP, etc.)?
- Are there fitness work outs available like there are On Demand via Comcast?
- What about internet?

Any help or advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 02:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTheLake View Post
- Do I get local channels (WNEP, etc.)?
I believe they do but if they don't and assuming you can get reception, using just an antennae you can get the local channels. It will actually be better video quality than either cable or satellite. If you any antennae laying around try it out. f not first try the cheap 5 dollar models. If that don't work research and try a more expensive one. There is no such thing as a "HD" antennae but the more expensive ones may work better as far as the reception goes. The video quialyt will be the same no matter what antennae you use, it either works or it doesn't . There is no in between.

Quote:
- What about internet?
If they offer it that should be your second to last choice right before dial up. Satellite internet is not very good at all. If you're going to drop the cable internet check the options for DSL from the phone company. That's all you really need for browsing websites, email, youtube etc. It's going to be cheaper and as long as you aren't using some really high bandwith services like Netflix you'll be fine.

If you call Comcast call and complain they'll lower the bill. Repeat once a year.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:34 AM

14 posts, read 29,508 times
I'm almost positive you will still get the local channels... Talkback on Newswatch16 is 100% needed.. that is pure entertainment! haha Anyway, you should get them and if you dont, a normal antenna like coalman stated would do the trick.. but i'm almost certain you get the locals.

With internet, you absolutely need to get Comcast internet... unless you dont use the internet much at all.. but with todays tech and streaming of videos on netflix, hulu, etc.. theres a good chance you do. Since you probably want a good internet connection.. do not go through DirecTv ... they use Verizon internet which is DSL and real slow! Especially if youre trying to use netflix or do any sort of online gaming... forget it. So you need to go with 2 seperate bills..

I have many friends who use DirecTv for cable and Comcast for internet...and I just bought a home that already is set up with a satellite and I will be doing the same.. (as a Rangers fan, and after 7 years in PA, I NEED MSG, which directv only has...i've had enough of Root and CSN)..and Yes, it seems like a minor pain, bc you now have two bills as opposed to one, but I think its the best deal. You get a good deal from directv.. and good internet from Comcast.. HDcable would probably cost like 40-50/month first year and then get bumped closer to 70-90 the second year of contract (this will all depend on what channels and package you purchase).. You can get a good internet speed deal from comcast for 30 a month.. It seems a little less convienient to pay 2 bills but its honestly probably cheaper... the comcast bundle thing just irks me.. I feel like you get a great introductory price but every month they start slipping more and more charges in.. then next thing you know, youre paying $150 a month for cable and internet.. I rather keep that a $100/month or under for the two, so I think Directv for cable with comcast internet is the way to go.. downside, directv has less of an "on demand" use.. My friends who have directv even will straight up say "Its not that great, I never really use it. I dont have a need to..but I'm sure some people use it"... the DVR function of Directv works best for those things.. if theres a certain program you like that you know is shown on tv.. just set to record and you have it whenever you want.. I'm not sure about the weather having an effect on the satellites either, but its a risk I'm willing to take.. hey, if you dont have cable for a day.. its not the end of the world.. read a book, spend time with your friends and family outdoors! .. or if youre truly that lazy of a couch potato, theres always still movies..

Anyway, good luck with your choice.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,444 times
Make darn sure you get reception. We initially signed up for Dish when we built here in the woods. We moved in in October and things were fine until May, at which point the trees leafed out and we realized we'd either have to become wood-cutters or switch to cable. ... there was no way to get reception, as we were facing a wall of trees to the south-southwest (where the satellite orbits).

Plus, I know that in really bad stormy weather, you will lose the satellite signal. Don't know how big of a problem it is up here.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:59 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
I guess it all depends on what matters to you.

My honest opinion? It's just TV. Juuuuust TV.
I don't need everything super high-def, I don't need some ridiculous contract locking me in. DirectTV..... there's something about a company that will pay $4 billion to hold exclusive rights to the NFL Sunday Ticket and who will really charge the kind of money they want for cancellation that I just don't trust.
I'd rather just go with some contract-free cable like Charter, Time Warner, etc.

And I don't believe in bundling services, with ANY company. That'll get ya. Everytime. I had a triple package years ago: cable/internet/phone. Started off about $115.00 for a year. Price creeped up slowly every year. It reached about $155-160.00 toward the end. Cell phones really started taking over so, I went to drop that phone line. The phone rep told me that it was literally was only going to save me $5.00. Not kidding. So needless to say, I was locked. Even if I dropped that landline, I still couldn't afford a cell phone too. And my area had no other options for cable. I only got out of it when I moved across the country. THEN I got my cell phone. lol

So yeah. I don't believe in bundles. Saves you money for a while and that's it.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post

And I don't believe in bundling services, with ANY company. That'll get ya. Everytime. I had a triple package years ago: cable/internet/phone. Started off about $115.00 for a year. Price creeped up slowly every year. It reached about $155-160.00 toward the end.
With Comcast I just call and claim poverty every year when it creeps back up and they drop it again.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
With Comcast I just call and claim poverty every year when it creeps back up and they drop it again.
I hate the game that played dealing with these 'service providers'. It is the same everywhere. They are worse than the old 'used car dealers' and 'rug salesman' ever were. It's like a shell game with tech services that often the customer doesn't even understand.

It's one reason I dropped cable/satellite TV services years ago (and no longer miss them) and am also now on no-contract cell phone service. It saves a few bucks... but more important for me I don't talk to the cable/satellite people any more .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania