U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:44 AM

1,693 posts, read 3,106,377 times

Advertisements

The reason I suggested Scranton is because you requested "walkability" and mentioned Green Ridge in your first post. Scranton is the only place in the valley that will give you a sense of walkability or city life feel. Carbondale and Dickson City are walkable if you like walking up 5 blocks of Main Street and back. I used to work at the Genetti Manor in Dickson City and I really hated that drive from 81 to the Manor through town. I would make my way up imagining how people can enjoy living there.

You seem to be going for that small village feel so why not check out Clarks Summit? Not very far from the valley cities and it has a small main street area which is nice to walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 09:36 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,820,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
While I understand what you mean about people's attitudes here I do think if you surround yourself with the right people it makes a world of difference. There are quite a few forward-thinking people in NEPA. In my circle of friends and acquaintances, we just laugh at them and go on our way.
Agreed...and BTW (IMO) this is true most anywhere. The most important attitude is your own.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 AM

331 posts, read 520,982 times
Small village feel is fine, but I'm not convinced CS is a great fit for us. There is the tiny walkable area, but most of it is a sprawling mess. It's also a bit too close to more... Overbearing family members (to put it lightly) in Tunkhannock.

We have some more searching to do, but I have a feeling we will end up not moving back.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:26 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,827,500 times
My current favorite place to think of moving to is historic Bethlehem, in the Lehigh Valley. The region is on the upswing, not at all like the Scranton area. There is a charming downtown, Lehigh U., the SteelStacks entertainment complex, Sands gambling, and quite a few other cultural offerings for an area of this size. You are 90 minutes from NYC by bus and less than an hour from Philly (though no rail line). Have you been there?

The downside is the school district in town is not good. Many live outside of the city because the schools are better.

Same goes for College Hill, a lovely walkable section of Easton that has Lafayette College, with gorgeous and cheap rambling Victorians. You'd have to send your kids to private school by high school. But oh, the houses!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 AM

I have an aunt who lived just outside of Bethlehem for many years, so I'm pretty familiar with it. That is, Bethlehem up until about,, probably a good 10 years ago now. I haven't been there in a while. I do know they have awful school ratings, though, so I haven't checked (like 1 out of 10 bad). Right now my oldest is in a "Blue Ribbon" school here and our second oldest will be going there next year if we don't end up moving by then. I fear the .. adjustment from a GREAT school to a poor one would be a bit much (socially and academically).

We're looking around a bit in NJ still as well, so it's all very up in the air right now.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 AM

2,704 posts, read 3,130,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
While I understand what you mean about people's attitudes here I do think if you surround yourself with the right people it makes a world of difference. There are quite a few forward-thinking people in NEPA. In my circle of friends and acquaintances, we just laugh at them and go on our way.

Where? Not in Wilkes Barre-Scranton area.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:49 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
What do you care? You don't live here either.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:42 AM

1,693 posts, read 3,106,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I begin to think part of what happened to you was not all coincidence. There are two sides to every story and while I am sure they probably harassed you I thought at times during your run in what may have transpired. It easy to sugar coat ones own actions but we weren't there to see it. What you saw as fair level headed discussion may have come off to your neighbors as hostile. I guess us on the sidelines only hearing one side of the story will never know.

Magritte is right though, you ran away to Ohio so why not let a sleeping dog lie? Not sense in waking it up so it bites you on the ass again.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:07 PM

20 posts, read 37,183 times
Just my two cents as a (soon-to-be) Wyoming Valley resident and young professional:
I'll be moving in toward the end of the summer for a shorter-term job (year to year-and-a-half). The area has its pros and its cons, and I can understand why some residents love to call it home, while others are anxious to leave.

Given that my job has a set end-point and will be highly career-beneficial, I have no qualms moving to the region for a relatively short period of time. I've never lived in the core of a smaller metro area, and I think the Scranton-WB experience will prove both interesting and enlightening for me. There's definitely enough to keep me occupied on a day-to-day basis.

That said, I probably wouldn't take a "permanent" position here unless I absolutely had to. Settling down in a place like this is probably not right for me--no offense intended toward any of you who do love it there.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 AM

I was back in the area over the weekend and saw some decay in Tunkhannock. Paint peeling off the houses, some of them falling in on themselves... I had hoped people would spend the new gas money wisely, but I'm not seeing it yet. Also of note, the formerly beautiful landscape is littered with wells now and looks awful. The roads are torn up as well, although they're bad all over the state, so who knows what that is from.

The northern valley still looks ok-ish to me, but I am really worried about the lack of employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania