U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 AM

431 posts, read 520,903 times

Advertisements

Hi I just wanted to touch base with all my neighbors of APCP. The warm weather is coming and it is with great delite I see this once forsaken place flourishing with new and helpful neighbors. I know a lot of people are still complaining about community politics but it really is nice to see many of the homes within the community filling up and being repaired. Last year at this same time my area in K section was 85% vacant. Really looking around over the past 3 months I'd say it is now about 80% occupied. There are people moving in and spending $$$ making the necessary repairs and slowly beautifying the neighborhood. We know considering the economic state of the country and area many homes were bought cheap but in need of serious repair. I look around and I'm starting to see people helping people, neighbors once again caring about their neighborhoods. I really see things looking better and I want to thank everyone living here that takes the time to give a damn.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM

213 posts, read 253,105 times
Glad to hear Sarge....must be catching on in other places in NEPA too. The three homes which were all foreclosures on the block where I bought in Bushkill are all occupied and fixed up and looking good

Old 06-30-2014, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,171 times
Default Housing values and the board in PCP

Well I am certainly glad that you are optimistic. I am not. I have been here for 8 years and given my current housing value it was a terrible terrible life altering mistake. My home was purchased new at $160,000 and is now worth less than half that value. My only options are to walk away or rent. All of the "good" board members that brag that they are buying properties to help clean up are nothing but slum lords. Why would anyone put up with the crap of being a board member if there was not something in it for them and especially after this past weekend's corrupt alleged ballot rigging incident. There must be something there for the members and it isn't done out of the goodness of their hearts. I know some of those members and they are either in relationships with people or themselves own multiple properties. What does that tell you??????

They are making money off of the section 8 renters that permeate this development. With section 8 comes crime drugs and a general "run down" appearance of the place. Have you driven down Country Place Drive to the gate lately in Section E? The junk homes are now becoming noticeable even from the street. As a board member they can block any rules that prevent rental properties or that restrict our development to non-offending citizens (no crimes committed). Many developments do that but ours does not. Why because people make money. That's why a state senator spends millions on a seat that pays $30,000. There is something in it for them. I will turn my house to dust before I sell it at a loss.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:50 AM

13,141 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaceep49 View Post
That's why a state senator spends millions on a seat that pays $30,000. There is something in it for them.
Not that it makes that much difference: But, I believe, current State Senator base pay is over $84K/year. However your point is still valid.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:55 AM

1,357 posts, read 2,065,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaceep49 View Post
Well I am certainly glad that you are optimistic. I am not. I have been here for 8 years and given my current housing value it was a terrible terrible life altering mistake. My home was purchased new at $160,000 and is now worth less than half that value. My only options are to walk away or rent. All of the "good" board members that brag that they are buying properties to help clean up are nothing but slum lords. Why would anyone put up with the crap of being a board member if there was not something in it for them and especially after this past weekend's corrupt alleged ballot rigging incident. There must be something there for the members and it isn't done out of the goodness of their hearts. I know some of those members and they are either in relationships with people or themselves own multiple properties. What does that tell you??????

They are making money off of the section 8 renters that permeate this development. With section 8 comes crime drugs and a general "run down" appearance of the place. Have you driven down Country Place Drive to the gate lately in Section E? The junk homes are now becoming noticeable even from the street. As a board member they can block any rules that prevent rental properties or that restrict our development to non-offending citizens (no crimes committed). Many developments do that but ours does not. Why because people make money. That's why a state senator spends millions on a seat that pays $30,000. There is something in it for them. I will turn my house to dust before I sell it at a loss.
What I've always said about the place...no matter how nice a picture you want to paint about APCP it's never going to change and neither are the members of the board!! Good luck trying to sell in that dump!!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 PM

431 posts, read 520,903 times
Sadly all the DEVELOPMENTS scream of corruption. I am very new to it all and right now sadly do not have the time to get serious about the politics that go on because I do not full time stay at my home in APCP. I am sure I will not like a lot of what goes on there but generally speaking from the neighbor I do have that never misses a meeting, the owners simply don't care. Empty meetings aren't helping the community. I'm 100% guilty of this but I cannot afford to no go to work to attend any meetings yet. I don't know where to start to right the ship but it can't start by not going and not caring.

Adaceep49- Sadly again is the financial situation you are in with your house. I know most did walk away and I knew more then several, all nice people too I know you built new in APCP because at the time your house was probably $40,000 cheaper to build there. I knew someone who built in 2010 new and saved $40,000 building and left his home to forclosure in August 2012. I'd agree the price value of your home has a lot to do with the community but more to be with this countries financial state. The corruption we speak of is on a grander scale then APCP or any other development. This small comeback the economy did make is all false. The true collapse is yet to come. An economist I know said the worst is in front of us and not behind. I do pray he is wrong and you will land on your feet with the house.

I bought for $26,250 a house in K section I have been using for four years now. If i use it and enjoy it when I'm there it will be an investment well spent. The home was in good shape and did need some general maintenance done but I'm loving it. I also bought when the getting was good and not when every house in the country was over inflated. I was told stay out of the main section, I have been there and wasn't so happy with the layout. I love K and L sections. It truely is a whole different world in them compared to the main. So far I love it. I need to get more involved and will when my work schedule permits. I do wish you well Adaceep49 and I hope things turn around market wise and you get more then ur investment for the house. God Bless...

Old 07-05-2014, 02:58 PM

1,357 posts, read 2,065,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
I bought for $26,250 a house in K section I have been using for four years now. If i use it and enjoy it when I'm there it will be an investment well spent. The home was in good shape and did need some general maintenance done but I'm loving it. I also bought when the getting was good and not when every house in the country was over inflated. I was told stay out of the main section, I have been there and wasn't so happy with the layout. I love K and L sections. It truely is a whole different world in them compared to the main. So far I love it. I need to get more involved and will when my work schedule permits. I do wish you well Adaceep49 and I hope things turn around market wise and you get more then ur investment for the house. God Bless...
You did good....fortunately for me I bought just before the real estate market tanked....and I bought with common sense and not with my eyes....do I wish I had a bigger home with more room?? Yes...but then I'd probably would've already fallen into foreclosure because of the cost that goes along with having a bigger home....I only have a 1000 sq. ft. ranch and sometimes the heating bills in winter have killed me....luckily Met-Ed has been very understanding with me and although I've paid late they knew they'd get paid eventually....I think when the time comes that you can dedicate more time to the board meetings what you should try to do is get together with those in your section and adjoining sections that are willing to take on the board, and try to oust them at the next elections if possible....if no one takes a stand, as you say, nothing will get done and the same status quo will continue in place with nothing getting done for the community except for their pockets....you might have to get a lawyer involved that doesn't have ties to them or is in their pockets as well....good luck either way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania