U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 9,173 times

Advertisements

Hi All*,
My partner and I bought our first house in December, 2013. We need quite a bit of work done, so a Friend of My Partner's Family told us to call "Bobby"; a friend of the "family".
Our "Need to do list" included; gutting the bathroom, and changing every single item that HAD been there; also, we needed the Living Room, Kitchen, Dining area, and replacing the entire kitchen counter-tops, and floor tiled. (in kitchen)
Although we paid for every single item we wanted, the "original" Contractor quoted the project to be $6,700!
Having never gone through this, although I thought that was a bit extreme, we made the WORST possible mistake ANY One can; this guy made it a point to tell us that without "our job" his family would now have a Christmas, as long as we paid him in FULL before anything was done!!
To say we were "screwed" would be an understatement. He even managed to milk us for another $1,500 on top!

What we learned, after the fact; he wasn't licensed. He was NOT insured.
We live in Old Forge, but "Bobby the Contractor" is from Taylor, and does jobs all over the Scranton Area.

His first name IS Bobby.
I doubt I am able to state is full name here, so, if anyone would like to know who this guy is, please reply with an Email address...

Respectfully,
-JLee*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 04:28 AM

1,354 posts, read 2,064,552 times
Question: When you take your car for maintenance does the dealer or service station ask you to pay up front for any repairs the may need and you actually pay them?? I can't believe someone would actually give money to anyone before any actual work is done!! What I would do is search Facebook for this guys page (if he has one, only one way to find out) and bombard his page with negative reviews. I also suggest posting his name on your page as well (if you have one) so that the word can be spread by your friends or relatives. Lastly, I'd be on the lookout for him with a bat in my car for when we do again cross paths. Six months in physical rehab might improve his customer service skills. If not, then bash his head in again.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:05 AM

I appreciate your comments "DavidWebb", I've done much more than just post it here.
First though, as I stated, my "Partner's" Father, who died almost 2 years ago, was good friends with this "idiot". He had done a LOT of work for him, as well.
Having said that; considering this was our first time Owning a House. It was our first time hiring a "Contractor". Had we known then, what we know now, we would have handled it much differently.
As for what's being done currently, this unlicensed contractor is being investigated by the Attorney General.

I have also posted all of the information, and his name, all over facebook.
Thanks,
-Joey*

Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM

37,069 posts, read 38,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Question: When you take your car for maintenance does the dealer or service station ask you to pay up front for any repairs the may need and you actually pay them??
Typically for construction you're going to pay up front a percentage. Might be 1/3 up front, 1/3 half way through and 1/3 upon completion. The first 2/3 is typically going for supplies and expenses.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:08 PM

Default Saga Continued....

Hey "CoalMan",
What you posted in regard to the "correct" way to pay a Contractor was, in fact, exactly what we SHOULD have done.

My Partner's Mother had also hired this "idiot", unaware of what we were going through. She hired him to remake her Counter-top, and new sink. She had purchased the sink already. Her "quote" for the job was $1,800. She gave him half up front, with the rest due after it was done.

Three weeks went by, not so much as a Call or a text. Finally, her oldest son received a text. The text read something like, "Hey, I've gotten myself into a deep pickle, can You and Your Mom pay the other half and I will throw in changing the light fixtures for free". He and his Mom said "No". That was in February. He never called again, n

She was the one that made a call to the D.A's office. They, after hearing the whole sorted saga, told her he's set her up with the PA Attorney General. And with both of our experiences, they are now investigating him.
He is NOT licensed, NOT insured!
Not sure what the outcome will be, but it will be harsh!
Thanks for adding to the conversation!!!
-Joey*

Old 04-28-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylee92 View Post
Hey "CoalMan",
What you posted in regard to the "correct" way to pay a Contractor was, in fact, exactly what we SHOULD have done.
That's not going to guarantee you get the work done but very few contractors are going to work it any other way especially for really large projects. They have to protect themselves as well and that's really imporatant in the contracting industry because a single person not paying you could literally put you out of business overnight.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 AM

1,354 posts, read 2,064,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylee92 View Post
I appreciate your comments "DavidWebb", I've done much more than just post it here.
First though, as I stated, my "Partner's" Father, who died almost 2 years ago, was good friends with this "idiot". He had done a LOT of work for him, as well.
Having said that; considering this was our first time Owning a House. It was our first time hiring a "Contractor". Had we known then, what we know now, we would have handled it much differently.
As for what's being done currently, this unlicensed contractor is being investigated by the Attorney General.

I have also posted all of the information, and his name, all over facebook.
Thanks,
-Joey*
Didn't want/mean to sound like a prick but this is 2014 and, especially up here in NEPA, there are a lot of so-called "contractors" desperate for work because they're self-employed...either by choice, they got fired, or let go because of the housing downturn...so they will resort to all kinds of low level tactics to come into money...as a homeowner myself I'm sorry you had to learn a lesson the hard way...I would never give money either in cash, check, or money order for any work unless I know them...luckily I have a friend who's an independent contractor that's reliable, trustworthy, and does an outstanding job...good luck in your future reno's...

Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
...I would never give money either in cash, check, or money order for any work unless I know them...
Dave you are not going to get any contractor to accept that especially for any job that is substantial. It's a two way street, they don't want to get ripped off either. Coincidentally our contractor is pounding away as I'm writing this, he got half when he showed up this morning which is his first day but it's not a huge job and there is already some level of trust since he's done work for us before.

People getting ripped off happens all over the country. Buyer beware, make sure to get references and if possible talk to someone that has some knowledge of the business.

If anyone is interested I use Oko Construction, he's in Bear Creek. He's bad with the communication skills e.g. slow getting estimates and returning phone calls but he does great work and once he gives you a schedule he'll stick with it.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:01 AM

Thank You Both*!
With the prior "Contractor"; he had been a friend of My Partner' father, which IS why we trusted him.
We did find a New, MUCH better Contractor; Carl, He has already started and finished a pretty decent amount of work. He changed 4 ceiling fans, 4 new light fixtures, bases and all. He also sealed the entire basement floor, and then put molding on after he sealed it. He did all I just mentioned for $300, which I was more than happy with.
Thanks Again!

Old 05-06-2014, 04:11 PM

2,736 posts, read 3,171,906 times
Thanks for the warning and so sorry this happened to you. Best of luck in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or