Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:19 AM

31 posts, read 35,067 times

Advertisements

My fiance is moving for work in the Wilkes-Barre area and we will be joining him. He's been researching the area towns for housing and good schools for my daughter - she will be a freshman in high school. It looks like the high school that serves Kingston isn't too far off from the school where we live now that she'd attend. That said, he's had multiple references point us to Dallas. Dallas appears to have a new high school and from all outside appearances seems to be a better high school than the one she'd attend here.

My main concerns for the move, aside from schools are...

1) Housing for us and our pets - 2 dogs, 2 cats. I've done the blanket internet searches of apartments.com; craigslist; rent.com and a dozen others...I was able to find one match in Dallas, but Kingston is tough. Any ideas on how to better find pet friendly housing? I realize this is a challenge but neither of us could bear to give up our pets when we combined homes - especially our dog - my daughter would be devistated! So moving with all our pets is a must.

2) Employment. I've been an Executive Administrative Assistant for over 18 years but in job searches it looks like it's a tough market in the area. Any ideas on agencies to use? Resources on the web? I've searched America's Job Bank, Indeed, Careerbuilder and Monster so far. If there are local resources I'd appreciate a referral. I don't want to move until I have employment. I'm fine with changing gears and trying something else but a job is a must too.

We will eventually purchase a home but not until we settle in for a couple of years and even then, may just rent to get my daughter through high school and then look at condos in the city. So, that said - anyone have any ideas that I haven't tried for housing and employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 03:22 PM

452 posts, read 681,839 times
Have you considered keeping your current living arrangement and making several visits to see if this area is one you'd actually enjoy living in? When taking into account the percentage of people who regret ever moving to NEPA, you may be well served keeping a safety net so to speak.
Employment? Good luck. You can Google the unemployment numbers for Luzern county for yourself. But don't be dismayed, there are plenty of $10.00 an hour factory jobs thru the temp services with no hope of getting hired on.
I will admit the Dallas area is a better part of NEPA, but honestly, no job is worth relocating here for. The area is a depressing sinking ship, and could not wait to leave it.

<Cheerleaders enter here and blow smoke up her ***>

Old 04-25-2014, 03:29 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
I would recommend the Dallas Area School District over Wyoming Valley West (Kingston area) hands down.

Look back over the various threads on this forum. You will find that many of your questions are answered.

For a free job search tool, check out the PA Career Link "Job Gateway." Depending on how long a daily commute you can handle, you may very well find a job as an administrative assistant, although probably not in the executive suite.

Phone several real estate agencies to find out about their house rentals. Buy an internet subscription to the Times Leader newspaper to check their classified ads.

Newberry Estate in Dallas, which is a townhouse community with all of the amenities, occasionally has rentals available.

Good luck.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:09 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,381 times
I agree with Wells, there is a plethora of exactly the type of information you seek on various different threads here. Dallas has the better reputation but I think it is mainly because it doesn't have section 8 and other low income housing. These assisted living dwellings in and around Wilkes-Barre are the main drag down that makes the crime statistics rise.

For jobs I would search all of the area hospitals as this is the one sector that actually maintains a pretty good employment rate here especially since you have Administrative experience.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:13 PM

I just scrolled down two pages of threads and found several threads with information that may be helpful to you. If you go 10 or more pages deep will probably find more than enough threads to help you with your questions.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:49 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
To the OP: Wildflower Village in Exeter is only a short commute to Wilkes-Barre. It's a town house community and sometimes there are rentals available, though I wouldn't count on the pets being welcome.

This would put your daughter in the Wyoming Area School District, which has a pretty good scholastic rep, but is currently in the middle of a contract dispute with the teachers. The kids are in school, but it's been a pretty dismal year.

Good luck.

NB: This is not a "cheerleader" post. Just simply informational. You can take all the negative posts and all the glowing posts and throw them out. What will be left will be answers to your questions without editorializing.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:09 PM

331 posts, read 639,619 times
Where in CT are you coming from?

Old 04-26-2014, 07:36 AM

I'm coming from Vernon. It's a mixed rural/suburban town, 25,000 or so residents....Dallas schools are better than where we are now. I'm moving with my fiancé - he's a professor...he is also from PA. We will be staying for many, many years...and likely land in WB once my daughter is out of HS.

I do work at a hospital now and noticed several positions open there. I will start there; just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I will be visiting the area every other weekend starting in August too, so that will help. He is moving first and will also tap I to his connections to see if he can get me a boost in the job sector. I can be an administrative assistant anywhere - this area just looks tough right now in terms of employment.

I did search a ton of others posts but many were older so I was asking just to see if there were any big changes - doesn't appear to be.

He will be seeking housing for all of us so the burden is on him there. It's actually kind of nice to entrust that to him. He's very considerate about the neighborhood and school aspect of things....

It sounds like it's a nice area, having some struggles but overall not a bad place to live. I really am looking forward to vast amounts of nature and exploring in the state...just need to get housing and employment in order.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Have you considered keeping your current living arrangement and making several visits to see if this area is one you'd actually enjoy living in? When taking into account the percentage of people who regret ever moving to NEPA, you may be well served keeping a safety net so to speak.
Employment? Good luck. You can Google the unemployment numbers for Luzern county for yourself. But don't be dismayed, there are plenty of $10.00 an hour factory jobs thru the temp services with no hope of getting hired on.
I will admit the Dallas area is a better part of NEPA, but honestly, no job is worth relocating here for. The area is a depressing sinking ship, and could not wait to leave it.

<Cheerleaders enter here and blow smoke up her ***>
I've read your posts on other threads and hear your doom and gloom references in them all. This is a long term transplant for us. I can be an administrative assistant anywhere. CT is killing me. Cost of living is insane, no raises, current employer going into second bankruptcy in 5 years...this area ain't no picnic either! Combining our households renders a direct financial benefit, moving to an area with lower COL and lots of nature and open space is much more appealing to me right now.

Hell, I'd go back to cashiering at a grocery store if that's what it takes to pay the bills...which for me, would be minimal.

That said, I appreciate your honesty and I have banked it...given the employment situation for my fiancé, not moving isn't an option...for us, it's a fresh start stepping into a bright future.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genlilliana View Post
I've read your posts on other threads and hear your doom and gloom references in them all. This is a long term transplant for us. I can be an administrative assistant anywhere. CT is killing me. Cost of living is insane, no raises, current employer going into second bankruptcy in 5 years...this area ain't no picnic either! Combining our households renders a direct financial benefit, moving to an area with lower COL and lots of nature and open space is much more appealing to me right now.

Hell, I'd go back to cashiering at a grocery store if that's what it takes to pay the bills...which for me, would be minimal.

That said, I appreciate your honesty and I have banked it...given the employment situation for my fiancé, not moving isn't an option...for us, it's a fresh start stepping into a bright future.
Do your homework carefully and it sounds like you are. I chose carefully and enjoy my perch in the Mayflower section of Wilkes-Barre. I have a great view from my living room bay windows of the back mountain looking out towards Pringle and Dallas beyond. I enjoy the walking the area streets of my neighborhood despite the detractors here saying negative things about how dangerous Wilkes Barre is. It is only pockets of problems, if you find the good areas to live it is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania