Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 05:28 AM

100 posts, read 134,569 times

Advertisements

We live in NEPA and are looking for a house between WB and Scranton. There's a possibility in Avoca...
I wonder if anyone living in (or has lived in ) Avoca has any input on noise of airplanes around there?
Some neighborhoods are probably louder than others... We hear planes when they fly overhead anywhere, of course. ;-) This neighborhood looks like it's not directly in a flightpath to the airstrip. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 07:54 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
I suggest that you do a noise experiment. A lot of planes take off between 6:00 and 9:00 AM weekdays. Pick out your house and arrange to be in that area at those times. You may have to do this over several days as the planes take off according to the wind direction and speed and their traffic patterns after take-off are different.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:00 PM

267 posts, read 765,127 times
I no longer live in Avoca, but I would be more concerned with noise from I81 truck traffic. Lots of sleepless nights from jake brakes. I used to live near Plane street. Not sure exactly where in Avoca you are looking. West side might be more quiet.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:00 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_in_NEPA View Post
This neighborhood looks like it's not directly in a flightpath to the airstrip. Thanks!

The flight path has nothing to do with it for the most part...the wind direction has a part in it as well as any delays at the airport itself which may require planes to sometimes circle around before actually landing....blame the FAA and the local governments for allowing communities to be built close too close to airports in the first place...ideally there should be a 1 or 2 mile buffer zone around airports to avoid these types of situations....

Old 03-20-2019, 06:57 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoca resident View Post
I no longer live in Avoca, but I would be more concerned with noise from I81 truck traffic. Lots of sleepless nights from jake brakes. I used to live near Plane street. Not sure exactly where in Avoca you are looking. West side might be more quiet.
That's a good point.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:31 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
The flight path has nothing to do with it for the most part...the wind direction has a part in it as well as any delays at the airport itself which may require planes to sometimes circle around before actually landing....blame the FAA and the local governments for allowing communities to be built close too close to airports in the first place...ideally there should be a 1 or 2 mile buffer zone around airports to avoid these types of situations....
Pretty sure Avoca, Dupont, and Pittston Township's residential areas mostly predated development of the airport.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I suggest that you do a noise experiment. A lot of planes take off between 6:00 and 9:00 AM weekdays. Pick out your house and arrange to be in that area at those times. You may have to do this over several days as the planes take off according to the wind direction and speed and their traffic patterns after take-off are different.
Great idea! I looked on airport website and found arrival & departure time. Thank you.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoca resident View Post
Thanks! Welive close to cross valley expressway so know what you're saying about road noise. We're looking on the west side.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
that's right. Didn't think of that. Definitely something to consider carefully. Thank you.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:50 AM

Some good points everyone. Thank you so much. This helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania