U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:58 AM

38 posts, read 47,671 times

Advertisements

What might save Scranton is to promote the arts and education. After living in Los Angeles for more than twenty years, I have seen blighted areas transformed into garden Utopias by creative people. IMO, there is a war on the arts in this country. The area provides cheap sustainability for artists who want to create. This would mean ignoring the conservative shamers and to be a more tolerant populace.

The "what if" exercise is one of adaptive re use. A feeble attempt, but an attempt. Dempsey's designs are a little stale and tired. We need more designers and planners willing to study solutions. I vote for crits, charettes and open dialogue. It shouldn't be hard because most of us are out of work.

There are promising things happening on the Cedar Avenue corridor. I just hope the commitment is there to see it through.

Namaste...

Subcommendante Raul Duke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 10:17 AM

6,239 posts, read 7,440,038 times
Care to elaborate? About the "Cedar Avenue Corridor" I mean.

I was involved in the performing arts in Scranton/Lackawanna County/Luzerne County for about 19 years. Despite the fact that early on, the cost of attending a play, complete with costumes and sets, was roughly $8.00 (on average), we sometimes played for houses where the actors outnumbered the patrons.

In the early '90s, there were roughly 10 theater companies in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, not even counting the colleges and their drama departments. Perhaps it was a dilution of the actor/director pool that caused so many of them to fold; or perhaps it was a lack of operating capital based on poor attendance. Little Theatre of Wilkes-Barre and MusicBox Players in Swoyersville are notable exceptions.
Of course, it helps their solvency if they throw in a production of ANNIE or Fiddler on the Roof every couple of years.

Whatever it was, I, for one, would be happy to see a resurgence of the performing arts. There is nothing to compare with the excitement of actual people moving and speaking on a stage.

Find a way to counteract the lack of patronage and perhaps the arts can be revived. ( Be sure to let me know the audition dates!)

Old 05-09-2014, 01:34 PM

The community development association has appropriated some federal funds to develop the Cedar corridor as an artist node. Very promising. There has been 12 live work spaces designed and built with plans to re purpose penn security bank into an artists incubator.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:44 PM

90 posts, read 122,235 times
War on the arts.. seriously??? there is more artists/creatives now than ever before! You cannot sustain communities on arts, artist selling stuff to other artists... This is really good article about creative class: Richard Florida Concedes the Limits of the Creative Class - The Daily Beast

Old 05-09-2014, 02:31 PM

6,239 posts, read 7,440,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Five View Post
The community development association has appropriated some federal funds to develop the Cedar corridor as an artist node. Very promising. There has been 12 live work spaces designed and built with plans to re purpose penn security bank into an artists incubator.

Excellent. Which politician's relative will have first pick of the choice spots in which to create?

Encouraging artists to create is not the problem. Finding a market for the creations isn't so easy. New Hope is a quaint little town and people make it a point to travel there to see what the art crowd is up to. I don't foresee a lot of traffic heading to Cedar Ave. to purchase something for over the sofa.

I have been to more than my share of Art Festivals and while I have seen some lovely pieces - paint/clay/other - I don't see an abundance of buying. The "culture" crowd goes to be seen and the rest go to eat funnel cake and potato pancakes. If an artist isn't selling, they won't be contributing much to the economy of the city.

While I agree that it's a sad state of affairs, I think there are more problems than a lack of atelier space.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 PM

Sir, where do I begin? First of all, only sellouts create art which placate to the masses. Would Howard Roark cave to his convictions for some dirty money? A true artist creates for himself. There are artists and there are posers claiming to be artists. Secondly, there is no prescriptive formula to grow an artists enclave. It grows out of passion and a true concern for the people who choose to participate and make it their home. This must be hard for the Simon Mall corporation to digest. It is when corporate bean counters see an opportunity to exploit a concept for efficient profit. When the ologarchs take something pure and molest it into something ugly.

Let me guess your solution. Build more big box stores and McDonald mansions? Make more retail space where multi-national corporations can hawk their goods made from child labor in Vietnamese sweat shops? Sir, the article you linked provides an even more compelling argument there is an assault on the arts in this once great country.

Our only hope is you never come down high off your perch in Clarks Summit to slum it with the artists. There won't be a Jcrew in our neighborhood so, we wouldn't want to disappoint you. If you do come down, be sure to tip your waitress. That Grey Goose martini doesn't deliver itself.

Namaste,

Subcommendante Raul Duke

Old 05-09-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Excellent. Which politician's relative will have first pick of the choice spots in which to create?

Encouraging artists to create is not the problem. Finding a market for the creations isn't so easy. New Hope is a quaint little town and people make it a point to travel there to see what the art crowd is up to. I don't foresee a lot of traffic heading to Cedar Ave. to purchase something for over the sofa.

I have been to more than my share of Art Festivals and while I have seen some lovely pieces - paint/clay/other - I don't see an abundance of buying. The "culture" crowd goes to be seen and the rest go to eat funnel cake and potato pancakes. If an artist isn't selling, they won't be contributing much to the economy of the city.

While I agree that it's a sad state of affairs, I think there are more problems than a lack of atelier space.
Maybe the problem is you go to art walks that serve funnel cakes.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:03 PM

Addendum, there are crafts and there is art. A rusty railroad spike with a clipper ship painted on it for 15 dollars is a craft. IMO this does not constitute art.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:25 PM

90 posts, read 122,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Five View Post
Sir, where do I begin? First of all, only sellouts create art which placate to the masses. Would Howard Roark cave to his convictions for some dirty money? A true artist creates for himself. There are artists and there are posers claiming to be artists. Secondly, there is no prescriptive formula to grow an artists enclave. It grows out of passion and a true concern for the people who choose to participate and make it their home. This must be hard for the Simon Mall corporation to digest. It is when corporate bean counters see an opportunity to exploit a concept for efficient profit. When the ologarchs take something pure and molest it into something ugly.

Let me guess your solution. Build more big box stores and McDonald mansions? Make more retail space where multi-national corporations can hawk their goods made from child labor in Vietnamese sweat shops? Sir, the article you linked provides an even more compelling argument there is an assault on the arts in this once great country.

Our only hope is you never come down high off your perch in Clarks Summit to slum it with the artists. There won't be a Jcrew in our neighborhood so, we wouldn't want to disappoint you. If you do come down, be sure to tip your waitress. That Grey Goose martini doesn't deliver itself.

Namaste,

Subcommendante Raul Duke
I have hard time following whatever you're trying to say but let me guess.... you're upset about sweat shops in Asia but I'm sure you're posting this from Apple product (all artists use Apple right?)

Old 05-09-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoscape View Post
I have hard time following whatever you're trying to say but let me guess.... you're upset about sweat shops in Asia but I'm sure you're posting this from Apple product (all artists use Apple right?)
You just have a distain for what your article calls the creative class. That's okay, the world needs bankers too. As long as you are happy that's all that matters.

Namaste...

Duke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or