Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times

Advertisements

My family is from the Wilkes-Barre/Kingston area and I spent most of my youth in Clarks Summit and I now live in the wilds of far northern Idaho.
The pizza thread had me drooling of course, but there is no hope of duplicating Victory Pig or any decent pizza place out here.

One think I always remember at this time of year is the fresh Polish Kielbasa that my Irish (?)relatives always served on Christmas eve. They always got it from a place on the corner of Knox St and something else in Lee Park called Johnny's Market. I'm sure Johnny's isn't around any more but does anyone know where I can get fresh kielbasa shipped?
There are no Polish-Americans out here and they keep thinking I'm talking about the Hillshire Farms smoked stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 10:27 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
My family is from the Wilkes-Barre/Kingston area and I spent most of my youth in Clarks Summit and I now live in the wilds of far northern Idaho.
The pizza thread had me drooling of course, but there is no hope of duplicating Victory Pig or any decent pizza place out here.

One think I always remember at this time of year is the fresh Polish Kielbasa that my Irish (?)relatives always served on Christmas eve. They always got it from a place on the corner of Knox St and something else in Lee Park called Johnny's Market. I'm sure Johnny's isn't around any more but does anyone know where I can get fresh kielbasa shipped?
There are no Polish-Americans out here and they keep thinking I'm talking about the Hillshire Farms smoked stuff.
All I have seen in the grocery stores here (Wegmans & Price Chopper) is Hillshire Farms, Leidy's & Hatfield and to me they all taste the same. Although I do like Leidy's skinless version.
You could try this place though:
Welcome to Polana.com best quality Polish Food online since 1999

I am pretty sure Victory Pig will ship out Pizza. I thought I remember seeing a sign in the pig about it. Here is the number
Victory Pig Pizza
905 Wyoming Avenue
Wyoming, PA 18644
(570) 693-9963
Hours:
Wed. Fri., Sat.
4:30 pm to 11 pm

Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
All I have seen in the grocery stores here (Wegmans & Price Chopper) is Hillshire Farms, Leidy's & Hatfield and to me they all taste the same. Although I do like Leidy's skinless version.
You could try this place though:
Welcome to Polana.com best quality Polish Food online since 1999
Thanks! The Hillshire Farms kielbasa is smoked...what I'm looking for is the fresh kielbasa but they have it at the link you provided. Interestingly it says that it is traditional for Polish families to eat at Easter. I wonder how my all Irish and Welsh family got started eating it for Christmas Eve.

Anyway, the taste of it takes me back to childhood Christmases. Thanks again!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:44 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times
Quote:
Thanks! The Hillshire Farms kielbasa is smoked...what I'm looking for is the fresh kielbasa but they have it at the link you provided. Interestingly it says that it is traditional for Polish families to eat at Easter. I wonder how my all Irish and Welsh family got started eating it for Christmas Eve.

Anyway, the taste of it takes me back to childhood Christmases. Thanks again!
You're welcome!
Holiday traditions are weird. My family is PA Dutch, Irish and Scottish we only eat seafood on Christmas Eve, go figure.
My in-laws are Polish and PA Dutch, they only eat haddock on Christmas Eve.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:52 AM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
You're welcome!
Holiday traditions are weird. My family is PA Dutch, Irish and Scottish we only eat seafood on Christmas Eve, go figure.
My in-laws are Polish and PA Dutch, they only eat haddock on Christmas Eve.

There's a place in Mt. Cobb on Rt. 348 called Smokin' Joe's that has been making homemade kielbasa for years.

My family is Polish, and my mom makes homemade ravioli for Christmas dinner. Go figure!

Last edited by greentown; 12-11-2007 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: add

Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 AM

I always figured we ate more Polish foods because Irish Americans aren;t really known for their foods. Corned beef= ick.
We raise sheep here in north Idaho and now we have very traditional Irish food....lots of lamb and salmon.
Interestingly, our little town here was settled by Italian immigrants and they eat a lot of good italian food at home but it doesn't occur to any of them to open a restaurant.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
There's a Polish owned food purveyor in Honesdale. I don't have their name, but they have some good quality meat and quality Polish home-made products.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 AM

113 posts, read 414,766 times
Quote:

Kielbasi

That's the link for Kutsop's in Olyphant. They make their fresh and smoked Kielbasi on the premises and ship it too!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM

411 posts, read 1,290,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMilford View Post
Kielbasi

That's the link for Kutsop's in Olyphant. They make their fresh and smoked Kielbasi on the premises and ship it too!
That was always our source when I lived there many years ago. Nowadays, my relatives go to Schiffs to get their Kielbasi. It is good, but not as good as Kutsops in my opinion.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:54 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
Quote:

You're speakin' my language!!!

You have to go to Sunshine Market in Wilkes Barre. I don't know if they would ship it, but that's what you want. They have very good polish kielbasa. My mom is the one in charge of making sure we have our holiday kielbasa. We used to get it in Plains, forget the deli name, but it has closed and she now gets it at Sunshine Market - because the recipe is so similar. I live nearer Stroudsburg, and here it's only Hillshire Farms. Yuck. No one polish around here.

As for Victory Pig pizza, I happen to have a recipe, if you are interested, but I will post it on the recipe forum. MMMM...I'm so glad it's Christmas time, because I know, in only two weeks, I will have that kielbasa!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania