U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 09:58 PM

452 posts, read 561,657 times

Advertisements

Hey Johnny....OK, I can remember a lot of things also. But what I question is how can you move back and make things right? What happened, happened. The best you can hope for is the "now" to be good, and hope the past you screwed up is not too bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:58 PM

331 posts, read 521,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
paying property taxes (that is something apartment dwellers skip)
... You realize the cost of property taxes is worked into an apartment's cost, right? Please tell me you were just trying to make a point with misleading statements and not that you actually think property taxes aren't covered by rent...

Old 05-16-2014, 06:11 AM

38 posts, read 47,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Hey Johnny....OK, I can remember a lot of things also. But what I question is how can you move back and make things right? What happened, happened. The best you can hope for is the "now" to be good, and hope the past you screwed up is not too bad.
When I left, I was a self centered twenty something who got tired of dealing with family issues back here in Scranton. I escaped to LA and never looked back. When I came back to visit and saw how badly my family was dealing with old age. I could not in clear conscience abandon them. I sold everything I owned, quit my 90k a year job and came back. After twenty years of sex, drugs and rock and roll, it's time to put my bog boy pants on and grow up. In the end, I did the right thing. I will die with no regrets.

Now all I have to do is convert Scranton into a Mecca of art and culture. Home is where you make it.

Best...

Duke

Old 05-16-2014, 08:02 AM

29,626 posts, read 65,702,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
The rest of your post, however self-righteous, hackneyed, hypocritical, and loaded with logical fallacies, is simply business as usual for you at this point.

But this excerpt is just plain sick. I can only hope that you were stretching the truth to make a "point," and didn't actually experience schadenfreude upon hearing about that terrible turn of events.

Either way, you should be ashamed of yourself.
I didn't wish ill upon the students of Franklin Regional, nor did I bask in some sort of creepy happy afterglow while uncorking a champagne bottle. I just can't believe the irony of parents moving out of the city so their children could be "safer" in school only to have them nearly stabbed to death in the suburbs. You can say the same thing to parents who moved their children to Littleton, CO out of Denver; Newtown, CT out of Waterbury or Danbury; and other affluent suburban areas that have been the site of mass school shootings/stabbings as well. They made the conscious decision to increase their commutes (and whine about them) and pay more for housing due to the perceived "prestige" of the prevailing public school district (and whine about that) in order to escape the ills of the city, such as substandard schools or violence, and, voila, those same ills followed them to suburbia, too. This pattern of violence in affluent suburban school districts should be evidence that society just can't keep running from its problems like it has tried to since "White Flight" began. At what point do we draw a line around metropolitan areas and say "no more building out past this line?"

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-17-2014 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: report posts that you think violate the TOS

Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
... You realize the cost of property taxes is worked into an apartment's cost, right? Please tell me you were just trying to make a point with misleading statements and not that you actually think property taxes aren't covered by rent...
If I were any kind of respectable vulture capitalist, I would pass the cost along to my tenants.

Namaste,

Duke

Old 05-16-2014, 09:35 AM

7,393 posts, read 9,435,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I didn't wish ill upon the students of Franklin Regional, nor did I bask in some sort of creepy happy afterglow while uncorking a champagne bottle. I just can't believe the irony of parents moving out of the city so their children could be "safer" in school only to have them nearly stabbed to death in the suburbs. You can say the same thing to parents who moved their children to Littleton, CO out of Denver; Newtown, CT out of Waterbury or Danbury; and other affluent suburban areas that have been the site of mass school shootings/stabbings as well. They made the conscious decision to increase their commutes (and whine about them) and pay more for housing due to the perceived "prestige" of the prevailing public school district (and whine about that) in order to escape the ills of the city, such as substandard schools or violence, and, voila, those same ills followed them to suburbia, too. This pattern of violence in affluent suburban school districts should be evidence that society just can't keep running from its problems like it has tried to since "White Flight" began. At what point do we draw a line around metropolitan areas and say "no more building out past this line?"
I attacked the contents of your post, specifically focusing on the fact that your "smiling at the irony" of a mass tragedy is basking in the creepy afterglow. I didn't attack you as a person.

But since you decided to go down that road, you calling another human being pompous is hilarious, to say the least. If long-winded tirades littered with blanket stereotypes, self-serving exaggerations and fallacies, and more straw men than you can shake a stick at isn't pompous, I simply don't know what is. I've also had a lot of real-world exposure at this point, thanks, though I'm always interested in going to new places and continuing to learn new things.

I'd argue that from a statistical standpoint, the occasional random act of mass violence that happens at a "good" suburban public school is much better than the frequent deliberate acts of small-scale violent that occur at many "bad" urban public schools. Certainly, there are middle ground options to be had, but as high-performing in-city catchments continue to increase in desirability, conventionally middle to upper middle class families will be harder-pressed to afford them. You are, after all, the one who keeps talking about an "East End housing crisis." While I still think that's a big exaggeration, without a doubt there has been a modest but sustained upward creep in property prices that has adversely affected quite a few present renters/stymied a number of prospective homeowners. Of course, if we did lay down a legally binding "sprawl line" and everyone flocked back to the cities/inner suburbs, there really would be NY/SF/DC style housing crises in cities across the nation, PGH being no exception. But if that's something you can live with, then by all means advocate for it.

Either way, I'm through arguing with you over topics we've already debated ad nauseum. Your unfounded ad hominem attack notwithstanding, I wish you nothing but success and hope that you can find personal happiness along with it.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-17-2014 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned phrase

Old 05-16-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I attacked the contents of your post, specifically focusing on the fact that your "smiling at the irony" of a mass tragedy is basking in the creepy afterglow. I didn't attack you as a person, so you're actually the one who violated the TOS, not me...

But since you decided to go down that road, you calling another human being pompous is hilarious, to say the least. If long-winded tirades littered with blanket stereotypes, self-serving exaggerations and fallacies, and more straw men than you can shake a stick at isn't pompous, I simply don't know what is. I've also had a lot of real-world exposure at this point, thanks, though I'm always interested in going to new places and continuing to learn new things.

I'd argue that from a statistical standpoint, the occasional random act of mass violence that happens at a "good" suburban public school is much better than the frequent deliberate acts of small-scale violent that occur at many "bad" urban public schools. Certainly, there are middle ground options to be had, but as high-performing in-city catchments continue to increase in desirability, conventionally middle to upper middle class families will be harder-pressed to afford them. You are, after all, the one who keeps talking about an "East End housing crisis." While I still think that's a big exaggeration, without a doubt there has been a modest but sustained upward creep in property prices that has adversely affected quite a few present renters/stymied a number of prospective homeowners. Of course, if we did lay down a legally binding "sprawl line" and everyone flocked back to the cities/inner suburbs, there really would be NY/SF/DC style housing crises in cities across the nation, PGH being no exception. But if that's something you can live with, then by all means advocate for it.

Either way, I'm through arguing with you over topics we've already debated ad nauseum. Your unfounded ad hominem attack notwithstanding, I wish you nothing but success and hope that you can find personal happiness along with it.
I think you are a little hard on the guy. Anyhow, there should be a commuter tax and a sprawl line drawn. NY/SF/DC are some of the nicest places in the USA.

On an off topic. What's with all the buffets here?

Namaste,

Duke

Old 05-16-2014, 02:21 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,826,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Five View Post
When I left, I was a self centered twenty something who got tired of dealing with family issues back here in Scranton. I escaped to LA and never looked back. When I came back to visit and saw how badly my family was dealing with old age. I could not in clear conscience abandon them. I sold everything I owned, quit my 90k a year job and came back. After twenty years of sex, drugs and rock and roll, it's time to put my bog boy pants on and grow up. In the end, I did the right thing. I will die with no regrets.

Now all I have to do is convert Scranton into a Mecca of art and culture. Home is where you make it.

Best...

Duke
It's nice that you are back and helping the family out, even now. It is seldom 'too late', and is probably needed more than ever. Old age (and middle age...) impart changes on everyone. Some are good, some are not. Memories and feelings are the among the last things to go.

If you can adapt to returning here ...(in some ways it ain't much different than when you were born, let alone when you left, but despite the naysayers there is good stuff if you seek it)...and avoid calling others names for different values, lifestyles or pizza than what you saw in LA, NYC, or Amsterdam ... or whatever you think is the model for all...you sound like you bring something to the table. That's what is needed...in spades.

Don't expect to turn the barge quickly or easily but maybe you can help nudge it a bit more. You are not alone.

Re 20 years of sex, drugs, rock n roll...there are many folks that left "The Valley"and some that never did who'd make the same claim and more You aren't the first, and won't be the last, to follow this path. (Not that there is anything wrong with it.) It's called life.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:54 PM

117 posts, read 185,418 times
Sticky,

I would say anything from Wyoming Ave to the river and between Church and Northampton would keep you within comfortable biking distance of downtown WB and also close enough to the retail areas in Kingston/Edwardsville. I don't think there are any "bad" areas within that section...between Pierce and Church would prob be considered nicer than Pierce to Northampton however the latter is also a shorter ride to WB and Kirby Park...which is a very nice place to hang in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyWidget View Post
Hi Everyone, thanks! Even Johnny Five, who reminded me that jokes don't transmit without tags.

Marchawg, I'm working near Berwick. I'm fine with a 30 minutes commute, I've been making it all week so far with no problems. I'd guess winter will be different, talking with residents about the winter leads me to believe the roads are tough in snow. I will also be flying in and out, and it seemed like W-B was a good halfway mark.

Chef, the area I'm looking at now is near the Wilkes campus. I had a chance today to drive it, and I liked it pretty well. I guess I'm just looking for any other options I should consider before snapping this place up.

Ofhs, thanks for the Kingston recommendation! I'll check it out! Any neighborhoods or streets I should look at specifically?

And theatergypsy, no disrespect intended but I understand I have offended, and I ask that you not read into my ill-considered joke with malice. The folks I talked to were adamant that the area I was considering was extremely dangerous, but when I went there myself I didn't see anything that indicated danger. I saw a campus, with students playing volleyball and reading on benches, and several houses and businesses in older large houses w/ no bars on windows. I think they keyed on my mention of Franklin street, which I now understand hosted several shootings in 2013. If anything, at the time I thought that W-B residents were giving a very nice part of their own downtown an undeserved bum rap.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:09 AM

12,456 posts, read 27,102,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyWidget View Post
Hi Everyone,

First, it's exceptional to see so many people on a local forum. I've already got a bunch of information from reading the existing threads.

So, I've accepted a year long position near Wilkes-Barre (about 30 minutes away), and I'm looking for a place to live. I'm an engineer in my early 30s, single, like the outdoors and riding my bike, really like laid back places to hang. I'm looking in and around the Wilkes-Barre downtown area because I like living in the city (I can't stand suburban life), and I've taken a look at a place right by campus which everyone is telling me is in a bad part of town.

I guess I'm basically looking for some guidance about downtown and the surrounding areas, and what to expect. Is the college crazy, or is it laidback? Are there other areas to look at? What's a good chill bar to hang out at? Are there wine bars?

P.S. I'm from one of the 'most dangerous cities in America', and all ya'll sound a like pansies telling me the area around S Franklin and South Street is 'full of crime'. Looks like mansions, foundations, and campus to me.

So please, dish. Let me have it. And thanks!
Bold fonted the parts of the OP that might be more helpful to focus on versus another conversation on why in general moving from the city to the suburbs is bad. The OP WANTS to live in they city.

And on a TOS note, please just report posts that you think violate the TOS. I've been out of the country for two weeks and am just now reading through the forums.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania