U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,981 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

First, it's exceptional to see so many people on a local forum. I've already got a bunch of information from reading the existing threads.

So, I've accepted a year long position near Wilkes-Barre (about 30 minutes away), and I'm looking for a place to live. I'm an engineer in my early 30s, single, like the outdoors and riding my bike, really like laid back places to hang. I'm looking in and around the Wilkes-Barre downtown area because I like living in the city (I can't stand suburban life), and I've taken a look at a place right by campus which everyone is telling me is in a bad part of town.

I guess I'm basically looking for some guidance about downtown and the surrounding areas, and what to expect. Is the college crazy, or is it laidback? Are there other areas to look at? What's a good chill bar to hang out at? Are there wine bars?

P.S. I'm from one of the 'most dangerous cities in America', and all ya'll sound a like pansies telling me the area around S Franklin and South Street is 'full of crime'. Looks like mansions, foundations, and campus to me.

So please, dish. Let me have it. And thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:33 PM

1,693 posts, read 3,105,847 times
If you stay North of Ross Street, South of North Street and West of Pennsylvania Ave you will likely have your best luck. You will find a decent nightlife around there but it does cater to the college crowd. There are several bars and restaurants all around that area and a few department stores. You also have the Movie theater off of Northampton and the Kirby Center sometimes has good acts. Then of course you can head over to Kirby Park for a nice walk among other activities going on there. Just a short drive into the mountains and you have all the nature you could want. When you want to shop you are only a small drive to the Wyoming valley Shopping Hub which has every kind of store you will need.

Good luck in the move.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 AM

38 posts, read 47,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyWidget View Post
Hi Everyone,

First, it's exceptional to see so many people on a local forum. I've already got a bunch of information from reading the existing threads.

So, I've accepted a year long position near Wilkes-Barre (about 30 minutes away), and I'm looking for a place to live. I'm an engineer in my early 30s, single, like the outdoors and riding my bike, really like laid back places to hang. I'm looking in and around the Wilkes-Barre downtown area because I like living in the city (I can't stand suburban life), and I've taken a look at a place right by campus which everyone is telling me is in a bad part of town.

I guess I'm basically looking for some guidance about downtown and the surrounding areas, and what to expect. Is the college crazy, or is it laidback? Are there other areas to look at? What's a good chill bar to hang out at? Are there wine bars?

P.S. I'm from one of the 'most dangerous cities in America', and all ya'll sound a like pansies telling me the area around S Franklin and South Street is 'full of crime'. Looks like mansions, foundations, and campus to me.

So please, dish. Let me have it. And thanks!
Maybe you should refrain from the inflammatory comments like calling folks "pansies" in forums. Not everyone wants to live a hipster lifestyle like you. Not everyone wants to drink PBR's served by some sleeved Bettie Paige in some hipster dive bar. Perhaps not everyone wants to have their kids walking the boulevards of town brushing shoulders with some Tupac wannabe with a grille. It must be rough task being too cool for the room. Thank you for letting all of us know of your street cred living in the big bad ghetto. Most early thirtys invincibles I know don't know sh1t about pretty much anything.

I got an idea. Maybe your parents can do us all a favor and increase your monthly stipend so you can upgrade to Fishtown.

Namaste,

Duke

Old 05-14-2014, 07:50 AM

29,615 posts, read 65,640,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Five View Post
Maybe you should refrain from the inflammatory comments like calling folks "pansies" in forums. Not everyone wants to live a hipster lifestyle like you. Not everyone wants to drink PBR's served by some sleeved Bettie Paige in some hipster dive bar. Perhaps not everyone wants to have their kids walking the boulevards of town brushing shoulders with some Tupac wannabe with a grille. It must be rough task being too cool for the room. Thank you for letting all of us know of your street cred living in the big bad ghetto. Most early thirtys invincibles I know don't know sh1t about pretty much anything.

I got an idea. Maybe your parents can do us all a favor and increase your monthly stipend so you can upgrade to Fishtown.

Namaste,

Duke
Wow. Angry, much? For what it's worth I'm in my mid-20s, have no silver spoon in my mouth, and also much prefer urban living for the benefits (less driving, more walking, more character, more amenities, etc.) I find most newer suburban development to be incredibly wasteful, especially in NEPA, which has had a free-falling and/or stagnating population for generations.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
While you two are busy b!*ch slapping each other, I'll attempt to answer the OP's request.

First, you should be specific about which campus. There are two campuses/campii in W-B. There is a King's and a Wilkes.

There are admittedly some areas that are considered high-crime by the local "pansies". That may be because unlike you, they aren't used to living in "one of the most dangerous cities in America".

Wilkes-Barre isn't exactly a "city" by your standards. But you can probably find what you're looking for. Lots of people who are satisfied to be what they are. Lots of people who aspire to more. Lots of people who already have made it to "more".

There is a lot to like in the area, and lest you mistake W-B for a metropolis, be assured you can be in as many as 15 other towns in a matter of minutes. Sometimes it just means crossing a street. Or a bridge. There are any number of bars. Some not so savory, but what the heck, if you show up disrespecting the local populace the way you did in your initial post, you can look to get a beat-down just about anywhere.

And I believe there's still a bookstore in W-B; along with a pretty fair library. We ain't all just a bunch-a stoopid rednecks.

When you arrive, why not get to know the people, and the area, and live a different style than you were used to in "one of the most dangerous yada, yada,..." Sometimes it's good to get to know more about another culture.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wow. Angry, much? For what it's worth I'm in my mid-20s, have no silver spoon in my mouth, and also much prefer urban living for the benefits (less driving, more walking, more character, more amenities, etc.) I find most newer suburban development to be incredibly wasteful, especially in NEPA, which has had a free-falling and/or stagnating population for generations.
I do agree with you about suburban sprawl. I live in Scranton proper and loathe my fellow Scranton comrades who fled to Clarks Summit et al when the chips were down. Good riddance to them.

Namaste,

Duke

Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 AM

117 posts, read 185,210 times
Let's be honest...he can get pretty much everything he is looking for by living across the river in Kingston as well...and its literally less than 5 minutes to Public Square...even on a bike he could be less than a 10 minute ride.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:20 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,820,009 times
Quote:
I do agree with you about suburban sprawl. I live in Scranton proper and loathe my fellow Scranton comrades who fled to Clarks Summit et al when the chips were down. Good riddance to them.

Namaste,

Duke
Nice that you live in Scranton 'proper'...nothing wrong with that...in fact more is needed of course. We agree.

Did the people you and SSR, SW, et al deride ("loath?") for moving from Scranton do it about the time they married/settled down...planned or had a few kids...or about the time the taxes and neighborhood got to be intrusive/annoying...or maybe sought a place to park a couple cars...see some grass and trees...got a salary improvement/better job...or tired of the bar scene, some crime, or?...etc

If you like the city, great. Many people do...especially the young and young at heart. Even big ("real") cities often see the young eventually move out to the 'burbs. It isn't new to NEPA.

BTW, most people in the nearby suburbs probably don't live in developments and cul-de-sacs (not that there is anything wrong with that either).

To the OP: Good luck finding a place you like, there is a wide range of choices around here. You are fortunate to have a good job...many people don't. One year is different than a decade or lifetime to live anywhere.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Nice that you live in Scranton 'proper'...nothing wrong with that...in fact more is needed of course. We agree.

Did the people you and SSR, SW, et al deride ("loath?") for moving from Scranton do it about the time they married/settled down...planned or had a few kids...or about the time the taxes and neighborhood got to be intrusive/annoying...or maybe sought a place to park a couple cars...see some grass and trees...got a salary improvement/better job...or tired of the bar scene, some crime, or?...etc

If you like the city, great. Many people do...especially the young and young at heart. Even big ("real") cities often see the young eventually move out to the 'burbs. It isn't new to NEPA.

BTW, most people in the nearby suburbs probably don't live in developments and cul-de-sacs (not that there is anything wrong with that either).

To the OP: Good luck finding a place you like, there is a wide range of choices around here. You are fortunate to have a good job...many people don't. One year is different than a decade or lifetime to live anywhere.

They did it because they are pseudo yuppies who think Disney World is a high brow vacation. Most of them have never seen a foreign place beyond the deck of a cruise ship. Within the cavernous volume of their Mc Donald's mansion lies Chinese furniture sold at Costco along with their store bought oil paintings. They are soulless prunes of humanity devoid of free will who think Sean Hannity is a great American. They are rape shamers, s1ut shamers, poor shamers, birthers, Birchers, flat earthers, creationists, doomsday preppers, kool-aid drinkers and monster truck spectators who are rebels from the war of Northern aggression.

Their motivation is simple...ego. Yes, there is a loathing deep in my stomach like a fine Stilton cheese.

Namaste,

Duke

Last edited by Johnny Five; 05-14-2014 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 03:20 PM

3,673 posts, read 3,251,579 times
Quote:
Yes, there is a loathing deep in my stomach like a fine Stilton cheese.
Have you ever tried getting over yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania