Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:07 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,731,064 times

Advertisements

I just had to pick up someone at the hospital in Honesdale this morning and the roads are treacherous! If you don't have to go out, DON'T, there are people sliding all over the place. My daughter said people were sliding all over the place in Dickson City too. She turned around and went home and her Boss was very unhappy, he told her to try and make it in later today! He's a jerk, but that is 'whole nuther' story!
I'm staying in (aside from some shoveling ) and making a nice pot of home-made chicken soup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 10:31 AM

113 posts, read 412,991 times
I am currently at work at my job in Milford. The drive in from Matamoras was ok, but if they don't keep up with Rts 209 & 6, the drive home is going to be hairy.

From what I hear, our office NEVER closes due to inclement weather. If I went home early, I not only wouldn't get paid but I'd probably be talked about, too -- you know, stuff like "that wuss from Maryland can't handle a PA winter."

Old 12-13-2007, 10:36 AM

910 posts, read 2,980,508 times
Route 6 up near waymart closed, truck rolled over or something like that. My husband is in Vernon NJ and said it's doing nothing at all but 84 was horrible going in at 7am...

Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
Route 6 up near waymart closed, truck rolled over or something like that. My husband is in Vernon NJ and said it's doing nothing at all but 84 was horrible going in at 7am...
I'm not so sure about that. It might be sleeting in Vernon, NJ, and your DH might not be able to see the precipitation falling out his window. Parts of Luzerne County have now switched over to sleet, but it's still all snow at my home near the airport (for now). I know it's been snowing in Central Park and sleeting in the Lehigh Valley for a while now, and I can't imagine Vernon, NJ would be much different. The storm should be gone by 5 PM or so though, so your hubby should have a safe ride home (albeit slow).

Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 AM

910 posts, read 2,980,508 times
How crazy must be a real fine line. My family is about 20 minutes north of Central Park and have nothing right now. Guess it will swoop up soon enough.
Hey if he doesnt get home tonight he doesnt get home lol!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:35 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,511,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMilford View Post
I am currently at work at my job in Milford. The drive in from Matamoras was ok, but if they don't keep up with Rts 209 & 6, the drive home is going to be hairy.

From what I hear, our office NEVER closes due to inclement weather. If I went home early, I not only wouldn't get paid but I'd probably be talked about, too -- you know, stuff like "that wuss from Maryland can't handle a PA winter."
Our realtor closed her office today. She was too concerned about the safety of her employees. She said the roads in the Milford area were terrible. Hope you get home safely.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:37 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,511,501 times
Pocono,
I called my parents....they are 20 minutes from your family and there was not anything going on there this morning either. They were coming up here this morning and I told them to stay put.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 PM

372 posts, read 1,224,354 times
I'd say we have a good 5-6 inches on the ground here in Jefferson Heights. My girls went walking around the neighborhood snapping photos of the snow! DH got to work in Swiftwater okay; he's going to stay a bit later today to give PennDot a chance to clean up 380 and 84, so he doesn't encounter any major problems!

Just finished a yummy bowl of chicken soup and now off to unpack still more boxes in the basement! After that, spackling the girls bedrooms so we can begin painting tomorrow! Then I'll have to fight with DH to see who gets to run the snowthrower! Joy of joys...

Boy, the fun never ends when it snows...

Cathy

Old 12-13-2007, 02:00 PM

1,649 posts, read 4,984,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Is this appointment absolutely essential? If it's possible to reschedule for tomorrow, I'd definitely behoove you to do so. I've been listening to my police scanner, and in the past hour I've heard of apparent car accidents in Duryea, Waverly, and Pittston. If you absolutely MUST go out in this mess, take Route 115 as little as you possibly have to. Those winding hills you go down as you head between Bear Creek and Wilkes-Barre can be heinous.

I believe though you meant to say "315" not "115" in your last paragraph. That would be your BEST option. You'd want to take the turnpike north to the Wyoming Valley/Pittston interchange, and then head towards Highway 315 south. There are a few hills on Highway 315, but they are much better than 115.

Godspeed, Rockyy! We already have a good three inches of snow here in Pittston, and it's coming down like cats and dogs (or frozen ones at least). We've had very little sleet here though, so icing shouldn't be as big of a deal as long as you can handle snow.

Thanks for your time and post, Paul.

Right after I posted, I got a call from the doctor. She asked if I would come in as soon as possible. We left Pocono Lake around 9:15 and headed up Rt. 115. It was snowing down this way, but as we increased elevation (happened quickly) it turned into a blizzard. You know that spot on 115 where you can look out over to the left and see the valley? Well, you could not see anything. I guess it's that old term 'white out'.

We do have 4-wheel drive, but that won't help too much on sleet. Such an interesting drive....whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing had been plowed of course. It was still early. We saw very few cars, and the ones we did see were crawling. There was more traffic coming south than going into Wilkes Barre.

I ended up waiting at the doctor's office for a bit. I really felt bad for the staff. I think their stress was mounting with the snow.

Actually, I did mean Rt. 315. I was wondering about going up 315 to hit the Turnpike at the exchange north of the exchange on 115. I didn't, and still don't, know what the road would be like getting up to that exchange. I don't know because we came back on 115. Another joy ride!!!!!!!! Whoopie!!

The roads appeared to have been plowed and treated as we left the doctor's office. Surprise! They were only plowed and treated as far as the PenDot Building. Not much done south of there. We finally found the road plowed when we entered Tobyhanna Twp.

I don't want to have that much fun again for awhile. Take it slow and be careful out there folks!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,731,064 times
HighHat...just noticed the name of this thread...What a Winter...
Well, we tend to foreget, but it is still FALL!
What the heck are we in for!!!???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania