Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:44 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
They're parked partially in their YARD. Not on just the street. Even when there are sidewalks, the property owner owns up to the roadway. I have a sliver of grass between our sidewalks and the road, and maintaining that area is my responsibility.

Anyways, no matter whose responsibility it is, that is just downright rude and ignorant of the neighbor to just totally disregard someone else's lawn. It's not SWB's family's fault that their neighbor has to own 4 cars and has nowhere to put them all. They should just park them fully on the street and not in someone's grass.
So dear old dad should go over and politely say something to the effiect of "I'm hoping to keep my grass green and rut-free all the way to the street to maintain the look of my home. Would you mind being sure all your wheels are on the pavement when you must park on the street?" It's called being a good neighbor folks. Before you fly off the handle at someone, who may not even know they have upset or offended you, try talking the matter out. No reason to be so damn defensive and territorial from the git-go. If this is a city street, ANYONE has the right to park on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 02:44 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Thanks for the responses thus far, everyone! Our neighbor has a narrow amount of street frontage and a short driveway, yet they have four vehicles, hence why they park wherever they can. This vehicle is parked halfway on the roadway and halfway on "our" grass. I think he's being ridiculously petty---mud ruts or no mud ruts. After all, I'm the one that maintains our lawn anyways, and I couldn't care less. I'd much rather have a rut or two along the edge of the road than have to worry about souring relations with our next-door neighbors, whom we barely even know the way it is (yet another gripe I have about the suburbs, but I digress). Ideally the township would have sidewalks so that one could assume that the sliver of land between the sidewalks and the roadway are municipal right-of-way, but in this subdivision people neatly manicure their lawns right up to the edge of the roadway.
I can tell you that this was an ongoing problem between neighbors for years, and years in New Jersey, at my in-laws.
Same circumstances. The neighbor had a small, short driveway......They could not park all of their 4 and 5 cars......and would park across the street at my mother in laws AREA. I say area, because who knows who owned it. She said "they did" but then again, did the town?
Her home was up a side of a mountain, they had to park on the road.
No getting around it. I really think where they all parked was the towns portion of the road.........but it was one lane each way and the town didn't complain.
When the neighbor would park in that area.........It became a big battle of words.
That is exactly what happens when there is not enough parking on ones property. It is a common thing.........I am sure.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:15 AM

106,642 posts, read 108,790,719 times
usually you are responsible for repairs right up to the curb as well as shoveling snow if there is a walkway although you dont own or control the sidewalk. your responsible for the waterline that runs down the road from the outlet of your valve to your house. you dont own any of this but the municipalties hold you responsible for maintaince of it.

don't confuse being responsible to maintain with ownership.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:05 PM

923 posts, read 3,094,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have never heard of such a thing. The only way a property owner owns something beyond his lot is if you live on water. If it is a river or stream your lot sits against you can own to the middle of the water - but only on non-navigable bodies of water - these are called riparian rights. But city streets are owned by the municipality who built them. If you owned to halfway into your street YOU would be responsible for making repairs to things like sewers or street lights. Maybe you have misread your survey?
In regard to -ff18wife--she did not misread her survey !! My land was also
surveyed from the middle of the road to the end of my property. At least
thats the way they do it in rural areas. I have 200 ft of road front and
there is a big chunk of road I obviously can't do anything with. And thats a
FACT !!!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
I ived in Pittston for 11 years... On E.Frothingham st. A hill so steep bax trucks would get stuck at the bottom. Parking in pittston is a nightmare. Its usually an unspoken rule that you park in front of your own home. Especially in the winter where you need to clear the snow. Its not at all uncommon for folks to feel terratorial about their road frontage.
I live in the country now. How my property is deeded is that my land extends to the mid point of the road, or that the road is 20 feet on to my property. ie a deeded right of way. This doesn't mean that anyone and everyone is allowed to use my front yard as a parking lot. It means that they are allowed to use the road.
When I lived in pittston it was in 93 or 94 but pittston only had 1 working plow truck... I shoveled that road by hand... You bet after clearing 20 inches of snow from in front of my house with no help from the neighbors that I too became a bit terratorial over that parking spot. LOL That year convinced me of the need for a snowblower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania