U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:04 PM

2,736 posts, read 3,188,040 times

Advertisements

Thank you gentelmen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 04:09 PM

2,711 posts, read 3,158,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
My point is, and always was, is the fact that the garbage from NY & NJ is flooding the area and turning the place into nothing more than Newark in the hills. As far as the murders in Nashville, there are obvious similarities I'd love to talk about but I'd be edited for "racist comments'. And sorry Fish, I love where I am. As far as wasting time??? no, when something like this comes to my attention, it's worth posting to give a little balance to the lop sided rah-rah crap some cheerleaders feed people that are looking to move to the area.
You are a bigoted jerk. We tried to move to Pittston, having money and credit and were turned away because we were not from the "neighborhood". We then had to move to one of the worst streets in Wilkes Barre where we were attacked physically by some of the "neighborhood" people. We're so glad that we moved to the Midwest, where people are friendly and not afraid of outsiders. Also we don't have to worry about the crime of NEPA. I will always tell people who are contemplating a move to NEPA from NY/NJ/CT. to stay away because there are many people like you. Keep your bigoted uneducated views and see where your cities go. NEPA will continue to get worse and worse and it's not because of the influx of outsiders, it's because of people like you and we know a few others who are afraid of change. Like I said, I will continue to steer people away from NEPA.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:16 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,583,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
You are a bigoted jerk. We tried to move to Pittston, having money and credit and were turned away because we were not from the "neighborhood".
As I recall the police showed up when you were looking at the house, yes?

As I pointed out originally West Pittston has very little crime and part of the reason for that is a very proactive neighbors. The issues you encountered in Wilkes Barre would not have occurred in West Pittston.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:22 PM

As far as crime goes here in NEPA and specifically for Luzerne County if you remove Wilkes Barre from the statistics it's one of the safest places you can live. Murder rate would be something like 2 per 100K, national average is about 5. In contrast for 2013 WB itself had a murder rate somewhere around 35 or so, that puts it in the same league as some the really big cities. Detroit for example which has the highest murder rate for a large city is about 55.

While on the topic of murder rates the murder rate in West Pittston has been 0 for 3 or 4 decades.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As I recall the police showed up when you were looking at the house, yes?

As I pointed out originally West Pittston has very little crime and part of the reason for that is a very proactive neighbors. The issues you encountered in Wilkes Barre would not have occurred in West Pittston.

Yes, the police did show up. There was a for sale sign on the lawn, the broker told us to wait at the house and we were a husband, wife and two teenage children. Out of that situation, what makes it look suspicious? Maybe the fact that we had NY plates on our car, scared neighbors that we were invading the neighborhood. I am so glad they didn't want us there, because the flood of 2011 flooded that entire street and that was one of the homes that got the worst damage. Karma's a *****. Maybe a guardian angel was looking out for us, telling us we should move the heck out of NEPA. Also the thugs involved in Wilkes Barre were from there. They were section 8 low lives.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:02 PM

Getting back to the post at hand, it is sad that someone trying to make a living has to be killed over a few dollars. There is crime all over, and don't blame New Yorker's or New Jersey people for the problems.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:17 PM

13,365 posts, read 10,716,167 times
Quote:
Getting back to the post at hand, it is sad that someone trying to make a living has to be killed over a few dollars. There is crime all over, and don't blame New Yorker's or New Jersey people for the problems.
The problem is that you, like Cpt. Trips, made a mistake. You either did not do your homework or you simply made a mistake - many others have made mistakes; whether they bought in Ohio or Tennessee. Not everybody in NEPA has had your experience or will they ever. You could have bought into the same problems in Ohio or Tennessee. Your advice about this area is only based on your own perceptions and they are based on your mistakes. I have lived in NEPA for 67 years and have not shared any of either of your experiences.

I love the efficiency of Ohio and Tennessee DOT road work. I do wish that PA would try to replicate their proficiency.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The problem is that you, like Cpt. Trips, made a mistake. You either did not do your homework or you simply made a mistake - many others have made mistakes; whether they bought in Ohio or Tennessee. Not everybody in NEPA has had your experience or will they ever. You could have bought into the same problems in Ohio or Tennessee. Your advice about this area is only based on your own perceptions and they are based on your mistakes. I have lived in NEPA for 67 years and have not shared any of either of your experiences.

I love the efficiency of Ohio and Tennessee DOT road work. I do wish that PA would try to replicate their proficiency.
We were told by several realtors that the area we were moving to was an up and coming area. Where most of the problem occurred on our street was an eight family and a six family home. We were told that they were going to fix it up, but they only did the bare minimum and were quite certain that they paid the inspectors off to get the building passed for the inspection. That was one problem. The people they had coming and going in that building were drug dealers and real low class people. No families. The owner lived in Mountaintop and we made complaints to him, but he just laughed. We were friendly with a family three doors down, but in the summer time we found out that they were white supremacists when we saw Nazi swastikas tattooed on the father who was my age. My son said something and they wanted to kill him. The people next door to us were hillbillies, and were friendly. They were a scary bunch, but we got along well with them. The city were able to evict them through a loop hole, and the house was vacant for a year. Someone was raped there, and we called the city repeatedly and finally the police and building dept came and got the scum out of the house and arrested several people. Yeah we made a mistake, with all the problems that occurred, why would I have anything good to say about that area. Maybe if we moved to a different area in W-B like Plains or Kingston things might have been better. We'll never know, but I can tell you that all the people that caused the problems where we were, were from W-B and the surrounding area, not NY an NJ. I just hate it when NY/NJ gets a bad rap.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
There is crime all over, and don't blame New Yorker's or New Jersey people for the problems.
Yes there is crime all over but when you look at the most violent crimes that are occurring in NEPA a very large percentage of the time it involves someone that is from outside of the area. The difference between your perspective and mine is I've lived here for more than 40 years. I've watched the area change as people have moved in too Wilkes Barre.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

I just wanted to add another thing. You live in Swiftwater which is in the Poconos and not Wilkes Barre. We probably would have been better off in the Poconos or Lehigh Valley and we probably wouldn't have been having this discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or