U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 PM

2,707 posts, read 3,135,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes there is crime all over but when you look at the most violent crimes that are occurring in NEPA a very large percentage of the time it involves someone that is from outside of the area. The difference between your perspective and mine is I've lived here for more than 40 years. I've watched the area change as people have moved in too Wilkes Barre.
What you are saying might be true, however, the scum that are coming from these other areas are NOT buying homes and looking to settle there, which we were. People avoided us like the plague. We are so happy that we were accepted in Ohio and are enjoying our new lives in a pretty and safe area. You can keep NEPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:46 PM

3,677 posts, read 3,257,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
The peace and quiet of the Pocono life style is long gone.
Scranton is not in the Poconos.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:56 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,660,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
My point is, and always was, is the fact that the garbage from NY & NJ is flooding the area and turning the place into nothing more than Newark in the hills. As far as the murders in Nashville, there are obvious similarities I'd love to talk about but I'd be edited for "racist comments'. And sorry Fish, I love where I am. As far as wasting time??? no, when something like this comes to my attention, it's worth posting to give a little balance to the lop sided rah-rah crap some cheerleaders feed people that are looking to move to the area.
Hugo Selenski
Tyler Duda
Vito Aiello
Miranda Barbour
Elytte Barbour
Thomas Letteer Jr.
John Stone
Arthur Stoss
Jason Dominick
Neil Pal

Lets not get into all the corrupt whites in this area or the dozens of white male serial killers we've seen over the past 50 years. Lets not also get into the dozens of white mass shooters over the past 20 years.

Just trying to give a little balance!

Old 05-27-2014, 04:59 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,660,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I guess I am part of the garbage from NY, my husband is from here does that make it ok?

NO you are not. There are many NJ/NY transplants that are good people living in this area. Please don't take Cpt. Trips words to heart. He has the inability to separate individual acts of violence and race/SOO.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:16 AM

13,175 posts, read 10,585,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I just wanted to add another thing. You live in Swiftwater which is in the Poconos and not Wilkes Barre. We probably would have been better off in the Poconos or Lehigh Valley and we probably wouldn't have been having this discussion.
Anybody can make a mistake; even in the Poconos. It only takes one bad neighbor and that can happen in Tennessee, Ohio or PA.

It is also one of the reasons that many of us try to get people to visit or (preferably) rent in the area that they want to invest in a house. While I know that it is a pain to move two times; it can spare you the kind of aggravation that you and your family went through.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:30 AM

2,736 posts, read 3,174,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Anybody can make a mistake; even in the Poconos. It only takes one bad neighbor and that can happen in Tennessee, Ohio or PA.

It is also one of the reasons that many of us try to get people to visit or (preferably) rent in the area that they want to invest in a house. While I know that it is a pain to move two times; it can spare you the kind of aggravation that you and your family went through.
Yes it is a pain but so worth it. While I am not in love with Scranton after1.5 years we bought a lovely little home on a nice street in N. Scranton. We moved because I always said my son would not attend Scranton HS, it is just too big IMHO. NOW we have a slightly bigger house in Dunmore and love it and my neighbors. We have not encountered any of the insular behavior we were warned about. My son is still attending NEIS and will finish out his middle school years next year there as well. He'll we own both houses so I am still payng SSD school taxes so I will let him do as he chooses for now,like I said HS IS my concern. I want to purchase a double as an investment property and then.we will be done.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 AM

2,736 posts, read 3,174,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Yes it is a pain but so worth it. While I am not in love with Scranton after1.5 years we bought a lovely little home on a nice street in N. Scranton. We moved because I always said my son would not attend Scranton HS, it is just too big IMHO. NOW we have a slightly bigger house in Dunmore and love it and my neighbors. We have not encountered any of the insular behavior we were warned about. My son is still attending NEIS and will finish out his middle school years next year there as well. He'll we own both houses so I am still payng SSD school taxes so I will let him do as he chooses for now,like I said HS IS my concern. I want to purchase a double as an investment property and then.we will be done.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
See; that is why I don't complain about NYaukers! Here you have two houses and your thinking of buying another.

Not so much anymore - but years ago my fellow 'locals' would complain about people from the city. However, when it came time to sell their properties, other locals did not have the money. The city slickers did. So my fellow 'locals' swallowed their pride and took the greenbacks. Of course now we are outnumbered by the transplants - but that was our choice.

As far as your son: We do what we have to do for their education and safety. Many complain about my local Pocono Mountain SD - but our son went on to Caltech from PM. Of course that was several years ago and things could have changed since that time.

Getting back to the murdered cab driver thread: It would not surprise me if we have not had more murders down in my area - but we still feel safe and have never had any problems.

Anyway; have a great day! We might get a few thunderstorms later this afternoon.

PS Bloomin; are you feeling OK - you seem to be repeating yourself lately!

Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 PM

29,626 posts, read 65,672,994 times
Like it or not, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is not going to improve unless it starts to accept, embrace, and, yes, ENCOURAGE outsiders to visit, move in, and bring innovation and vision along with them. The area's aging population is dying off. The educated youth are leaving. Those who remain are having fewer children than in preceding generations due to economic uncertainty. The population wouldn't be stabilizing and would be continuing its decades-long free-fall if it wasn't for the incoming transplants from NYC/NJ/SEPA.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Like it or not, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is not going to improve unless it starts to accept, embrace, and, yes, ENCOURAGE outsiders to visit, move in, and bring innovation and vision along with them. The area's aging population is dying off. The educated youth are leaving. Those who remain are having fewer children than in preceding generations due to economic uncertainty. The population wouldn't be stabilizing and would be continuing its decades-long free-fall if it wasn't for the incoming transplants from NYC/NJ/SEPA.
That is the problem the whole Country has right now! At one time manufacturing was going to save us and lead us to a bright future. Then technology was the new champion - before we outsourced it overseas. So, my question is: Where, what direction, do we turn for this new innovation? I just don't see the help, you perceive, coming to us from the outside. Many are talking about robotics taking over in the next decades - therefore eliminating more jobs (for locals as well as the outsiders). I know that some will say that the robots will need programmers and workers to maintain the equipment - but that could be short term (as robots and computers take over those jobs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or