Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:12 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,201,121 times

Advertisements

Charges Including Attempted Homicide Filed Against Truck Driver | WNEP.com

I've heard not so great things about this cop. I'd be very interested in seeing the dashcam footage and/or photos of this cops injuries. The cop shot the guy in the shoulder AND the abdomen. Something stinks (and it isn't the possibly stolen fruit either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 04:30 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,863,103 times
I don't know if there is anything that necessarily stinks, this isn't going to be some $200 fine. The guy is probably looking at three of four thousand to get the truck off the road and the fines. If the truck is sitting too long he or his company is going to be responsible for the load, how much is a truck full of fruit worth? This guy might be out $20K+ and he lost it.

That said I will say this, local law enforcement is using motor carrier enforcement as a source of revenue. You can stop every truck on the road and find something, even a burned out light bulb for the running lights that worked in the morning when you checked it could result in a fine. It's a money making machine if abused.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't know if there is anything that necessarily stinks, this isn't going to be some $200 fine. The guy is probably looking at three of four thousand to get the truck off the road and the fines. If the truck is sitting too long he or his company is going to be responsible for the load, how much is a truck full of fruit worth? This guy might be out $20K+ and he lost it.

That said I will say this, local law enforcement is using motor carrier enforcement as a source of revenue. You can stop every truck on the road and find something, even a burned out light bulb for the running lights that worked in the morning when you checked it could result in a fine. It's a money making machine if abused.
Don't you find it curious that none of the police officer's injuries have been shown? Why isn't the media asking the police about the extent of the officer's injuries? Getting hit in the head with a hammer and pepper sprayed?? Yet the officer was still able to shoot Hadean twice? Also, why did Dietterick shoot twice and why isn't HE charged with attempted homicide? None of this adds up.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:21 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,863,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Also, why did Dietterick shoot twice and why isn't HE charged with attempted homicide?
The double tap (shooting twice) is pretty standard. With enough practice two shots will usually be on target, the third gets tough. If it gets to the point you are ever going to shoot at someone you are shooting to kill, if you can put two bullets on target that's what you are going to do. If you aren't shooting to kill someone the gun doesn't belong in your hand. If they are lucky enough to survive, good for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbg2s2bfjhw

Old 05-29-2014, 05:41 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,018,041 times
Quote:
Don't you find it curious that none of the police officer's injuries have been shown? Why isn't the media asking the police about the extent of the officer's injuries? Getting hit in the head with a hammer and pepper sprayed?? Yet the officer was still able to shoot Hadean twice? Also, why did Dietterick shoot twice and why isn't HE charged with attempted homicide? None of this adds up.
That one news article really does not give us enough information. A hammer is a very lethal weapon and can quickly kill or cause permanent damage.

I was never a fan of PA's Motor Carrier Enforcement. The reason I am not is because we are inconsistent. We have crack downs and then go for long periods of time before the next crackdown. The odds of getting pulled over and checked were pretty low - at least years ago when I drove. What that meant was that shippers would take a chance of defective equipment or over weight loads - the odds were in their favor.

Some states, especially South and West of PA were very consistent. Truckers and shippers knew that the loads would be weighed or inspected. Therefore the loads were corrected and the equipment was fixed if we were traveling in that direction.

I also did not like when the feds changed the legal hours we could drive to 11 instead of 10.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That one news article really does not give us enough information. A hammer is a very lethal weapon and can quickly kill or cause permanent damage.

I was never a fan of PA's Motor Carrier Enforcement. The reason I am not is because we are inconsistent. We have crack downs and then go for long periods of time before the next crackdown. The odds of getting pulled over and checked were pretty low - at least years ago when I drove. What that meant was that shippers would take a chance of defective equipment or over weight loads - the odds were in their favor.

Some states, especially South and West of PA were very consistent. Truckers and shippers knew that the loads would be weighed or inspected. Therefore the loads were corrected and the equipment was fixed if we were traveling in that direction.

I also did not like when the feds changed the legal hours we could drive to 11 instead of 10.
I agree - a hammer can do really bad damage to someone. But why no photos or updates as to the officer's condition? AFAIK, this driver hauled this load from California. Is it possible for him to have passed through all those states without being pulled over or inspected? This story just is not adding up for me and I know the bias against truck drivers already in this state.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The double tap (shooting twice) is pretty standard. With enough practice two shots will usually be on target, the third gets tough. If it gets to the point you are ever going to shoot at someone you are shooting to kill, if you can put two bullets on target that's what you are going to do. If you aren't shooting to kill someone the gun doesn't belong in your hand. If they are lucky enough to survive, good for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbg2s2bfjhw
The driver was shot in the shoulder and abdomen. What was the intended target?? And are we really ok with LE shooting to kill? I'm not.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:48 AM

32,813 posts, read 36,084,567 times
When you're shooting at someone, you aim for center of mass.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:36 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,678,191 times
Quote:
There are other news stories about this event that say the officer was pepper sprayed and the hammer was used to knock his taser out of his hand. It didn't mention any injuries to the officer other than the temporary effects of the pepper spray, so I don't know what you want to see.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
There are other news stories about this event that say the officer was pepper sprayed and the hammer was used to knock his taser out of his hand. It didn't mention any injuries to the officer other than the temporary effects of the pepper spray, so I don't know what you want to see.

I read that the officer was attacked with the hammer by the trucker hitting him with it. If what you say is true then I find it even more questionable why the cop had to shoot the guy twice especially if there was another cop there that could have helped restrain the man. It also doesn't answer why the trucker is being charged with attempted homicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania