U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 08:34 AM

2,736 posts, read 3,185,715 times

Advertisements

My husband, myself and our youngest went to WB last Saturday, we had a lovely day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:19 PM

28,145 posts, read 19,795,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
My husband, myself and our youngest went to WB last Saturday, we had a lovely day.

Thank you for posting that! We often spend Saturdays downtown. Its definitely nicer than when I was growing up here.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:08 PM

29,644 posts, read 65,838,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Thank you for posting that! We often spend Saturdays downtown. Its definitely nicer than when I was growing up here.
I have to agree. A ton of new apartments targeting the upper-middle-class are in the pipeline, too, and with more people LIVING Downtown comes more demand for new retail/nightlife/dining/recreation. I always preferred Scranton's neighborhoods to Wilkes-Barre's neighborhoods, but I also always much preferred Wilkes-Barre's much more compact and "denser" Downtown to Scranton's much more spread out and "sprawling" Downtown. When I was at King's we absolutely loved hanging out Downtown---the farmer's markets were a special treat, too!

Old 06-29-2014, 10:40 AM

91 posts, read 132,200 times
ok, I'll bite. My replies in larger print bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
There are many facets to this area known as northeastern PA. To most of the New Yorkers looking for lower taxes (aren't we all!),

NOT ANYMORE- THE INFLUX CAUSED A COUNTY-WIDE RE-ASSESSMENT IN LUZERNE COUNTY, AND NOW PEOPLE WHO WERE PAYING $300 A YEAR FOR AN OLD FARMHOUSE SINCE 1940, ARE PAYING $2000/YEAR. GEE, THANKS ! TO THE TRANSIENTS WHO MOVED IN !

But you only look at that aspect of life in PA because you need to be able to commute to your job in NY. (Well, we did tell you there weren't any here, and we did tell you what a killer that commute was going to be)

THERE "USED TO" BE JOBS IN THE LARGE INDUSTRIAL PARKS, BY THE 1000'S- UNTIL THE TRENDYS FROM THE BIG CITY DECIDED TO BUY IMPORT CARS AND JAPANESE ELECTRONICS AND JUNK MADE IN CHINA. SO ALL THOSE JOBS WENT- TO CHINA AND GERMANY AND JAPAN ! AGAIN, THANKS TRENDYS ! NOW YOUR KIDS HAVE NO JOBS OR FUTURE !

But they came and many of them stayed and are happy. Of course, they didn't all stay, as witness the many empty houses currently in the gated communities. I hope that the next group coming in will be able to come to terms with the difference in life style.

TRANSLATION- THEY GOT SUCKERED INTO BUYING A HOUSE IN A TRENDY NEIGHBORHOOD THAT WAS PRICED 3X MARKET, AND LOST THEIR BUTTS ON IT. THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE MOVED HERE TO BEGIN WITH ?

Sometimes, people come and choose one of the cities or larger towns in NEPA. You got your Scranton and your Wilkes-Barre and your Hazle...well, anyway. There are nice towns like Kingston and Forty Fort and Wyoming, plain and West, your Exeter, your West Pittston.

KINGSTON, FORTY FORT, WYOMING, EXETER, PITTSTON, ARE- HOLES ! AND THEY FLOOD ALMOST YEARLY FROM THE SUSQUEHANNA ! NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND LIVES ALONG THE RIVER !

And for a bit more rural, there's Harding. Dallas and the Back Mountain is nice, although getting built up and some are packing up and moving to Sweet Valley and beyond. There's Clarks Summit and Tunkhannock and Dickson City and Jessup (think St. Ubaldo) and lots of towns in between. And all of these places have a character of their own.

THOSE ARE FARM COMMUNITIES NOT YET DESTROYED BY RAMPANT OVER-DEVELOPMENT.

In the Summer there are firemen's and church bazaars. A week at the shore if you're parents can swing it. Little League. Teener League. Swimming and just plain hanging out. And most of the hanging out is done with family. I never experienced this until I moved here, but you can bet if there's a cookout, every uncle, cousin, grandparent, etc will be invited. And they'll come. And everybody will bring something and a good time will be had. By all. Family is key. I sometimes wonder if it's because there were so many ethnic groups that arrived here and they all tended to stick with their own. Regardless.

YOU NEVER EXPERIENCE A FAMILY PICNIC ? WHERE DID YOU COME FROM ? YES, THAT'S WHAT'S UNIQUE ABOUT NEPA, BUT THE TRENDYS MOVING HERE, DON'T HAVE ANY FAMILY. THEY'RE NEVER EVEN HOME ! THEY ARE "WHITE FLIGHT" FROM THE DECAYING INNER CITIES LIKE DETROIT, NOTHING MORE.

Oh, and how could I forget - Knoebel's for a picnic and rides and a really inexpensive day at the amusement park.

A KIDDIE PARK FOR THOSE UNDER AGE 12. YEH, THAT MAKES IT WORTH DISHING $200k FOR A HOUSE WORTH ABOUT $125k AND GETTING STUCK WITH TAXES, REPAIRS, UPKEEP, AND A HUGE HEATING BILL EVERY WINTER.

In the Fall, it's fun to go to Roba's for pumpkins, and walking the corn maze, and betting on the pig races. And Trick or Treat. And Thanksgiving. If that sounds corny to you folks who came here from away, maybe it is. But it's the way it is.

UH, SINCE WHEN IS STANDARD AMERICAN HOLIDAYS AND TRADITIONS THAT HAVE BEEN NATIONWIDE POPULAR SINCE AROUND 1900 OR BEFORE, SUCH A RARITY ELSEWHERE ? THESE ARE NATIONAL EVENTS AND HOLIDAYS ? AGAIN, MAY I ASK WITH RESPECT, WHERE DID YOU COME FROM ? TO GIVE AN ACCURATE ASSESSMENT OF THIS AREA, YOUR FAMILY WOULD HAVE TO LIVE HERE AT LEAST 75 YEARS. EVEN THOSE LIVING HERE 20 YEARS ARE STILL CONSIDERED OUTSIDERS.

Until I came here, I never saw a Christmas Tree decorated and lit and on display on Thanksgiving. But there are a lot of them. (Being a Philly kid, our tree didn't go up until Christmas Eve.) Now the difference doesn't make one right and the other wrong. It's just a different way of doing things.

THAT IS A RECENT TRENDY OCCURRENCE BY THE TRANSIENT POPULATION, THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE TO DO, ARE BORED TO TEARS, SO THEY START ANY HOLIDAY THE DAY AFTER THE LAST ONE- AND TAKE THE TREE DOWN ON DECEMBER 26 ! THANKSGIVING DECORATIONS COME OWN DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING. HALLOWEEN COMES DOWN DAY AFTER HALLOWEEN. SAME PEOPLE ALSO PAY $45 TO HAVE THEIR OLD CHRISTMAS TREE REMOVED EVERY YEAR. NOT JUST DIFFERENT- ACTUALLY KIND OF SILLY ! MAYBE EVEN NAIVE, AND FOOLISH ? ALL THIS UNHEARD OF UNTIL NEPA REAL ESTATE WAS ADVERTISED IN NJ, NY, PHILLY, ETC. AND THEY ALL MOVED IN.

In the Winter, once Christmas is over, you can plan on shoveling. That or head to Florida to winter place. See you in April.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TRACTOR WITH PLOW IN NEPA, YOU'RE IN TROUBLE. THE SHOVEL IS LIKE TRYING TO KILL GODZILLA WITH A BB GUN. THE CITY AND TOWNSHIP PLOW, PLOWS YOUR DRIVEWAY IN SOLID, 10 FEET IN, 4 FEET HIGH.

Spring here is notoriously brief. It's cold. Then it's hot. Not a whole lot of in-between

SPRING IS USUALLY BRIEF- EVERYWHERE !

If you want, you can go to see a baseball game. And you won't have to sell one of your kids to pay for it. There's ice hockey and when the game is over, you're minutes from home. There's music on Montage Mountain, and when it's over, well, good luck getting off the mountain in a hurry.

THE HOCKEY AND BASEBALL TEAMS ARE MINOR LEAGUE TEAMS. I NEVER WENT TO A SINGLE GAME. THE CONCERTS USED TO BE GOOD- BEFORE THEY BECAME OVER-MANAGED. THERE HASN'T BEEN A GOOD ROCK CONCERT HERE IN OVER 10 YEARS. ALL THE BAND MEMBERS ARE 60-70 YEARS OLD. BUT THAT'S ANOTHER ISSUE !

We have colleges. A lot. Da U; Marywood; Misericordia; Wilkes; Kings; Scranton; Penn State extensions in Dunmore, Hazelton, and the Back Mountain; Keystone; the new Medical School; Community; and I'm sure I left somebody out. And isn't there a law school on the table?

YES, WHERE YOU PAY BIG MONEY, GO INTO DEBT FOR A DEGREE, ONLY TO GET OUT AND NOT HAVE ANY JOB, A MORTGAGE WITH NO HOUSE ! ASK US HOW WE KNOW ! BUT AGAIN, THIS IS YET ANOTHER ISSUE NATIONWIDE. COLLEGE HAS BECOME- A SHAM ! WHEN/IF THE US GOV'T STOPS SUBSIDIZING IT, NO ONE WILL ATTEND.

Sadly, I must in all fairness report that we have a couple of state prisons. But they do offer employment to our citizens, so it isn't too shameful.

OH, SURE, THAT'S GOING TO BUILD A NEW STRONG ECONOMY- THE PRISON INDUSTRIAL LEGAL COMPLEX. DON'T GET ME GOING, YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ?

LOOK UP THE "CASH FOR KIDS SCANDAL LUZERNE COUNTY" TOP COUNTY JUDGES, REAL ESTATE DEVELOPERS, AND ATTORNEYS ALL COLLUDED TO BUILD A JUVENILE PRISON HERE, AND THEY WERE PUTTING KIDS IN CHAINS IN COURT, FOR SOAPING WINDOWS OR UNDERAGE DRINKING, AND TOSSING THEM IN THE SLAMMER TO KEEP IT FULL, TO GENERATE GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIZED PRISON SENTENCES. THIS IS A CRIME, A HIGH MORAL CRIME ! ALL THESE ELITES WERE CONVICTED AND WENT TO PRISON !

It does seem to take the natives a while to warm up to the new people. Maybe because in the past, new people meant trouble. Think the British. Think the Coal Barons. Think Chris Doherty.

THINK OF THEIR TAXES GOING UP BECAUSE SOMEONE WHO DRIVES A MERCEDES MOVES TO NEPA AND PAYS 5X WHAT A HOUSE IS REALLY WORTH, THEN GOES BELLY UP AND IT'S FORECLOSED ON ANYWAY. IN THE MEANTIME THE 200 ACRES THAT WAS IN THE LOCAL FAMILY FOR 100 YEARS, GETS OVER-ASSESSED DUE TO THE TRENDY TRANSIENT MENTALITY. CAN YOU BLAME THEM ?

But the people who live here are generally friendly and kind. And the posters on this board have tried long and hard to convince those who ask that this may not exactly be the right place for someone who is used to and loves the hurly-burly of Big City life. Nevertheless, when they come, we do try to make them feel welcome.

TRANSLATION- THE BIG CITY IS IN DECAY, AND PEOPLE ARE FLEEING TO NEPA, FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS ?

The negativity that you read here comes mainly from people who don't live here. People who did live here and left because they didn't like it. People who criticize the locals for being insular and unwelcoming and ignorant. People who criticize those of us who are satisfied with the status quo. People who criticize our children because they don't leave the area. Question - if they're satisfied, why should they leave? It has nothing to do with being stupid or uneducated. There are only so many New York City's to go around. And if we chose, we could head there in a, in a, well, in a New York minute. Whatever that is.

THE NEGATIVITY IS FROM PEOPLE SUCH AS MYSELF, BEEN HERE 75 YEARS AND WILL STAY IN GOOD TIMES OR BAD, HAVING TO PUT UP WITH THE INFLUX WHO IS SLOWLY DESTROYING THIS AREA.

But I like to think there's room on the planet for all of us with our diverse life-styles. We don't hesitate to tell the newcomers that it isn't like where you're coming from, but if you give it a chance, you might find it's not so bad. Then again, you could come determined to make this area over to suit you and then the foolish one is you.

THE NATIVES HERE ARE NOT SO LONELY, THAT THEY FEEL THE NEED TO INVITE MORE PEOPLE TO THE AREA. ACTUALLY THE LIFEBOAT IS OVER-LOADED NOW AND READY TO CAPSIZE.

And they pack up and leave and only stop by here once in a while to tell us how stoopid we are. How we keep our young'uns trapped here in these here mountains and don't never give 'em a chance to grow.

IF ONLY MORE WOULD LEAVE, OR STOP MOVING HERE, THINGS MIGHT GET BETTER.

My kids, all five of them, live here. Their choice. They have jobs and make a comfortable living. They could do those jobs anywhere in the country. They opted to stay here, but I assure you, that if they chose to leave, I'd give them a kiss and wish them bon chance. I've lived other places and I know first-hand that I don't want to go back to any of them. My kids can find out for themselves.

THEY LIVE HERE BECAUSE THE AREAS THEY COULD GO TO, FOR MORE MONEY, ARE INFESTED WITH CRIME, AND DESTOYED BY EVEN HIGHER COSTS OF LIVING, AND YOU HAVE TO SIT IN TRAFFIC FOR 2 HOURS TO DRIVE 5 MILES THERE. LET'S BE HONEST HERE.

So, if Tennessee is better for you, I . And if Ohio is your cuppa, good. And Pittsburgh is rising from the ashes, but I bet it would have done so anyway.

TENNESSEE IS BETTER, OHIO IS NOT. EASY ONE.

Sarge is moving here because he came and liked what he saw. He hasn't once said he wants it to be just like where he lives in NJ.

WELL THERE'S A BIG NEWS BREAKER ! NO KIDDING, NJ IS A HORRIBLE PLACE TO LIVE.

This area is rich in history. It was founded by forty settlers who came here and built a fort. Wait. What? Oh, right, they came here from...wait for it...Connecticut. They came here and faced the British and the Indian population. Some were massacred following the battle of Wyoming on Queen Esther's Bloody Rock which is only a couple of miles from my home. The Forty Fort Meeting House is one of, if not the, oldest continuously used structures of its kind in the country. The Nathan Denison House and the Swetland Homestead are fine examples of the homes built by some of the settlers. Frances Slocum, the Lost Child of the Wyomings was kidnaped and taken to live with the Native Americans. She grew up, married a chief, bore children, married again when her husband died. Her brothers found her after a life-long search, but she opted to remain with "her people"; the ones with whom she had spent her life.

YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THIS AREA AS IF YOU'RE A LONG TIME NATIVE, YOU'RE A NEWBIE HERE. THERE'S MORE TO IT THAN JUST READING A HISTORY BOOK, YOU HAVE TO PUT THE TIME IN. THAT'S 5O-75 YEARS, THEN YOU CAN TALK WITH AUTHORITY ?

And yet, a person who fled because of an assault by a miscreant from Philadelphia now comes to tell us that we are a bunch of intolerant ignoramuses with no redeeming qualities. (Condensed for brevity) Fortunately, the internet has a long life, and anyone who cares to can track all the wonderful-ness of us prior to the unpleasantness and give the lie to all the arrows shot at us. I have a long memory.

HE'S PROBABLY RIGHT, ABOUT THE TRANSIENTS WHO MOVED HERE FROM THE OTHER CITIES. AGAIN, THEY MOVE HERE FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS, AND DON'T PAY THEIR BILLS. HOW ELSE CAN ONE EXPLAIN THE 100'S OF FORECLOSED HOMES ? WHO BUILDS A HOUSE, THEY CAN'T REALLY PAY FOR ?

I like where I live. The people I associate with like it, too. I'm one of those annoying "glass-half-full" people. If you're hanging out with people who say they hate it here, you're hanging out with the wrong crowd.

WE DON'T HATE IT HERE, WE HATE WHAT WE SEE HAPPENING TO IT. IT USED TO BE GOOD. NOT ANYMORE.

Now I've concentrated pretty much on the general vicinity where I reside. I did live in Scranton for eight years and I was happy there, too. Of course, it was long enough ago that it was still a pretty swell place to be. And I suppose there are folks living there who still see it that way, except for the taxes and the politicians. And this new guy who wants to institute yet another tax. So, I wouldn't plan a move to the Electric City any time in the near future. For those of you who are feeling I left you out, please jump on in here and tell us what's interesting about your neck of NEPA.

SCRANTON IS A HOLE, ON THE VERGE OF BANKRUPTCY, WITH A RAMPANT DRUG I.E. HEROINE PROBLEM. ALL BROUGHT HERE FROM PHILLY, NJ, NY CITIES.

And if you don't like it, that's okay. Just don't come in and throw a whole lot of generalities around. As a group, we aren't stupid, or ignorant, or trash. We don't all smoke and drink cheap beer. Some of us even have more than three teeth.
AGAIN, WHAT'S THIS "WE" ? THERE ARE FAMILIES HERE WHO HAVE LIVED HERE SINCE 1900. COUNTING YOURSELF AMONGST THEM, IS INCORRECT, A MISNOMER, AND YOU'RE ONLY KIDDING YOURSELF. I'M NOT TRYING TO FLAME, JUST STATING A FACT. IF YOU MOVED TO SCRANTON 8 YEARS AGO, YOU ARE STILL A NEWCOMER TO THIS AREA. WHEN YOU HAVE 3 OR 4 GENERATIONS BUILT UP, IMHO THEN YOU COULD GIVE AN ACCURATE RETROSPECTIVE OF THE AREA.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-29-2014 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 04:58 PM

12,462 posts, read 27,178,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coal cracker View Post
ok, I'll bite. My replies in larger print bold.

AGAIN, WHAT'S THIS "WE" ? THERE ARE FAMILIES HERE WHO HAVE LIVED HERE SINCE 1900. COUNTING YOURSELF AMONGST THEM, IS INCORRECT, A MISNOMER, AND YOU'RE ONLY KIDDING YOURSELF. I'M NOT TRYING TO FLAME, JUST STATING A FACT. IF YOU MOVED TO SCRANTON 8 YEARS AGO, YOU ARE STILL A NEWCOMER TO THIS AREA. WHEN YOU HAVE 3 OR 4 GENERATIONS BUILT UP, IMHO THEN YOU COULD GIVE AN ACCURATE RETROSPECTIVE OF THE AREA.
My goodness, what a very mean post. I can't say it's against the terms of service since you aren't attacking the poster, but that's got to be one of the most unkind posts I've ever seen. It's a shame that you no longer enjoy living where you've grown up. It would probably make everyone happier if you found another area that would bring you and your family joy.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:53 PM

22,894 posts, read 21,964,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My goodness, what a very mean post. I can't say it's against the terms of service since you aren't attacking the poster, but that's got to be one of the most unkind posts I've ever seen. It's a shame that you no longer enjoy living where you've grown up. It would probably make everyone happier if you found another area that would bring you and your family joy.
You can say that again.

Hey, coal cracker, my family has lived in the area longer than yours has. Is our opinion more valid?

Old 06-29-2014, 11:43 PM

29,644 posts, read 65,838,206 times
Quote:
I rarely post here anymore because it seems like just about everyone who contributes to the NEPA sub-forum abhors living in NEPA.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-30-2014 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: removed the rude comment. really??

Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 PM

317 posts, read 545,936 times
Quote:
I disagree, believe it or not my company wants me to relocate there for them and I just might after reading that post! Why do you think it was so bad because it was so right on? And you're a mod ? If you did find something you could have hung your hat on to remove it I know you would have..

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-30-2014 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: removed mod comment.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:02 PM

12,462 posts, read 27,178,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
I disagree, believe it or not my company wants me to relocate there for them and I just might after reading that post! Why do you think it was so bad because it was so right on? And you're a mod ? If you did find something you could have hung your hat on to remove it I know you would have..
There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone or thinking that a certain area/town is bad. My comment was more about the poster rudely tearing each of the OP's comments apart. I live just south of NEPA and when we were looking at colleges for my son, every time a college came up in the NEPA area, all I could think of were the very negative comments from some posters on this forum. We did a cursory look at one of the colleges at my husbands insistence and I was actually surprised at how nice and vibrant Wilkes-Barre looked. I was expecting some sort of crappy place with gangs, but it seemed just as nice as any PA small city. I am very concerned that people just like you will write off the whole area because of the negative posters on this forum.

NEPA certainly has it's problems but so do many city's in our country. I know that I tend to avoid restaurants with more bad reviews than good ones and I don't want the vocal haters to drive away people that may improve NEPA.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:26 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,404,317 times
I really have to laugh at the mean spirited, patently false post above. Especially this part:
Quote:
HE'S PROBABLY RIGHT, ABOUT THE TRANSIENTS WHO MOVED HERE FROM THE OTHER CITIES. AGAIN, THEY MOVE HERE FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS, AND DON'T PAY THEIR BILLS. HOW ELSE CAN ONE EXPLAIN THE 100'S OF FORECLOSED HOMES ? WHO BUILDS A HOUSE, THEY CAN'T REALLY PAY FOR ?

Foreclosures hit nearly every part of the country immensely. Did you see/hear the economy tanked???

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania