U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 05:54 AM

4 posts, read 3,692 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to relocate to the danville area (or within a half hour or so of dville) at the end of the summer. The reason is a long story but I'd like some local input on things. I currently drive medical transports but I've literally done every job under the sun. I'm trying to get into Halliburton in Montgomery but if that falls through, what other big companies are in the area? Besides geisinger obviously Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 06:59 AM

452 posts, read 561,657 times
4 Things are just a little off here. 1) It's not practical to move to an area without a job lined up. 2) Your current job and your vast past experience indicates you really need to be specialized in a particular field to get a reasonable livable salary. 3) Most large companies use Temp. Services and the chances of being hired on is, well, not spectacular being you're not specialized. 4) Why move to an area that is employment challenged and is an overall crap hole??? You will regret this move.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 AM

2,736 posts, read 3,176,034 times
Danville is not a crap area.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:10 PM

28,002 posts, read 19,677,561 times
I second bloom. Danville and the surrounding area, really all of Columbia and Montour County, is decidedly NOT a crap area. Its a gorgeous rural area with good schools, plenty of outdoor activities and two very good postsecondary institutions within 30 minutes of each other: Bucknell and Bloomsburg.

As far as employers go you have Del Monte Foods, Bloomsburg University, Kawneer, Wise Foods, Autoneum, DT Distribution Center, PPL and Berwick Area School District.

As much as it pains me to do so I do have to agree with Cpt. Trips that you should have a job lined up before you move here.

Good luck!!

Old 06-09-2014, 02:20 PM

4,950 posts, read 4,657,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm10 View Post
I currently drive medical transports...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Danville and the surrounding area, really all of Columbia and Montour County, is decidedly NOT a crap area. Its a gorgeous rural area...

I'm not local to the area. I spent a week there while my mother was being treated after taking a fall while visiting relatives in the area. She was treated at the huge regional hospital there, so you might want to look into that for employment.

It seemed like a decent place, although it is rather rural, so if you need urbanness, it's not the place for you.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 PM

452 posts, read 561,657 times
OK.......Anyone want to bet the OP has difficulty finding a job and out of necessity ends up doing temp work in WB???? And yes, Danville is a rather nice area, but based on the qualifications listed, I'm pretty certain where this person will eventually reside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania