Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:43 PM

38 posts, read 56,080 times

Advertisements

What would you like to see come of Scranton if you had the power to change it? What kind of utopian/dystopian society would you create? I am very curious to hear your opinions.

Namaste,

Duke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:33 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,269,048 times
Every answer to this thread should include the word "jobs" in it.

I dread the time if/when I have to return to NEPA to care for elderly parents. No idea what I'll do to make a living then.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 AM

331 posts, read 636,750 times
Scranton really wouldn't be that bad if it had jobs. I'm OK with paying higher taxes if the city had a good deal of jobs available and a booming economy.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:02 PM

539 posts, read 1,064,361 times
We need a higher regional minimum wage, people can't afford to fix up their houses and re-invest in the economy. Some sort of regional authority with oversight on local governments to root out corruption and get the most for our tax dollars. One good idea I heard was one which combined the Scranton-W-B transit districts. Another one I heard is that Wolf wants to consider changing the state tax code so that there would be an exemption for perhaps the first $10k of income rather than having to pay the 3% from the very first dollar. Jobs, crime, corruption, infrastructure etc. are all important.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:29 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,009,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
We need a higher regional minimum wage, people can't afford to fix up their houses and re-invest in the economy. Some sort of regional authority with oversight on local governments to root out corruption and get the most for our tax dollars. One good idea I heard was one which combined the Scranton-W-B transit districts. Another one I heard is that Wolf wants to consider changing the state tax code so that there would be an exemption for perhaps the first $10k of income rather than having to pay the 3% from the very first dollar. Jobs, crime, corruption, infrastructure etc. are all important.
It doesn't matter about the jobs if the State takes away your gains faster than you make it. PA increased the fuel tax to support better roads. Now they are talking about increasing the tolls on the Turnpike at the same time that they are considering hikes in the State income tax. Regardless of any 'exemption' our State wants all of us to pay more.

These 'new' taxes hurt all areas of our State. They especially hurt areas that have always been deprived of good wages in the first place.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:40 AM

7,965 posts, read 7,316,873 times
As dictator of Scranton one of the things I'd do would be to build a multi-purpose arena downtown where the Penguins would play, as well as pro wrestling, a new NBA D-league affiliate, and local high school and college teams, monster truck rallies, and where concerts and antique/craft/trade shows would be held. There would be something going on almost every night of the week. And I would make sure the kickbacks, bribes, and inflated contracts went to my political enemies as well as my friends, to ensure that the project was well-regarded all around.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:36 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,847,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
As dictator of Scranton one of the things I'd do would be to build a multi-purpose arena downtown where the Penguins would play, as well as pro wrestling, a new NBA D-league affiliate, and local high school and college teams, monster truck rallies, and where concerts and antique/craft/trade shows would be held.
That's what they should of done when they built the arena in WB. Right at the bottom of Coal Street.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:51 PM

452 posts, read 679,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
As dictator of Scranton one of the things I'd do would be to build a multi-purpose arena downtown where the Penguins would play, as well as pro wrestling, a new NBA D-league affiliate, and local high school and college teams, monster truck rallies, and where concerts and antique/craft/trade shows would be held. There would be something going on almost every night of the week. And I would make sure the kickbacks, bribes, and inflated contracts went to my political enemies as well as my friends, to ensure that the project was well-regarded all around.
Yeah....Now the only interest you would get is if you had a venue for **** fights. LOL.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:34 PM

91 posts, read 188,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Five View Post
What would you like to see come of Scranton if you had the power to change it? What kind of utopian/dystopian society would you create? I am very curious to hear your opinions.

Namaste,

Duke

the elite power brokers grip on society there, must be broken. the taxes should be reduced. they have to stop working on I-81 constantly, it's only a scam to draw money out of the state and county coffers. They've had that road ripped up now for what, 30 years ? ridiculous, obviously they are just showcasing and sucking up the tax money. the Autobahn only took a few years to build, yet I-81 is constant work for 30 years around one town, gee you do the math- it's a scam.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:45 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,066,284 times
Nothing will ever change, the city's biggest problem is simply the apathy and battered wife syndrome that the voters suffer from for generations and will continue to suffer from due to children learning the apathy from their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania