Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:20 AM

191 posts, read 393,891 times

Advertisements

Eastburg shouldnt be a problem for you , but your budget winds up being about the same as anywhere else.I would say the majority commute up here because pa has such a lower pay rate than neighbor states, a 15 dollar hour job in nj would wind up being 7 dollars an hour in the poconos, commuters wind up paying 10 to 20 bucks a day in gas plus dollar toll at delaware bridge, plus constant wear and tear on your car which means more money for repairs, tires, or another car.The roads up here are pretty rough, potholes , bumps, so plan ahead.Also some of the taxes can get steep, especially school taxes.As far as the area, it varies on what fits you.Eastburgs a state college town, some of the streets around the campus are nice victorians on quiet streets.The downtown area of eastburg is busy, blue collar area.Some of it is a little rundown by walmart but not at all dangerous lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 02:51 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
Eastburg shouldnt be a problem for you , but your budget winds up being about the same as anywhere else.I would say the majority commute up here because pa has such a lower pay rate than neighbor states, a 15 dollar hour job in nj would wind up being 7 dollars an hour in the poconos, commuters wind up paying 10 to 20 bucks a day in gas plus dollar toll at delaware bridge, plus constant wear and tear on your car which means more money for repairs, tires, or another car.The roads up here are pretty rough, potholes , bumps, so plan ahead.Also some of the taxes can get steep, especially school taxes.As far as the area, it varies on what fits you.Eastburgs a state college town, some of the streets around the campus are nice victorians on quiet streets.The downtown area of eastburg is busy, blue collar area.Some of it is a little rundown by walmart but not at all dangerous lol.
I would hope that NJ jobs pay more than $15/hour. You can find jobs in our area that pay that kind ($15) of money - but it isn't enough to get ahead in life today. Many jobs do not have benefits or health care - that also hurts those that earn the least. I also don't feel that our government is truthful about the rate of inflation - they apparently don't shop for themselves!

This forum is one step in checking out an area to move. It is not the know-all/end-all of information. It is a start. Personal, first hand, information is the best information. Visiting, vacationing, and renting in potential areas gives people a better look/knowledge of what is to be expected. There is no one-size-fits-all. We all have our own expectations and needs.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:38 PM

191 posts, read 393,891 times
I wouldnt kid myself Fisheye, everyone hopes that 15 an hour is doable in the poconos but do some research in pocono record classifieds, craigslist poconos etc etc and you'll find the average pay grade in this area caps at about 10 an hour.15 in Nj is good pay unfortunately and doesnt seem to be changing any time soon.As far as giving potential movers a heads up, I dont bs people on what to expect, this is the norm for this area.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
I wouldnt kid myself Fisheye, everyone hopes that 15 an hour is doable in the poconos but do some research in pocono record classifieds, craigslist poconos etc etc and you'll find the average pay grade in this area caps at about 10 an hour.15 in Nj is good pay unfortunately and doesnt seem to be changing any time soon.As far as giving potential movers a heads up, I dont bs people on what to expect, this is the norm for this area.
Up until six years ago I was earning $75K/year in Monroe County. I do have a class A CDL and drove for Consolidated Freight and Roadway/Yellow. I also have other skills such as small engines repair, carpenter, plumber's helper and electrician's helper. Skills help up the money you can earn.

Right now I am working a temp job that pays twice what you think jobs pay in our area. The temp job is pretty much full time. I am retired from trucking and collecting SS besides my pension and making more money than I ever made.

I do know that many jobs in this area don't pay anything; many are service jobs. But, with the right education, skills and persistence, you should do considerably better.

For anybody that wants to make $14 to $15/hour in this County; try Manpower (570-619-8090) in Tannersville. They do offer a foot hold into Sanofi and other large employers in our area. Of course there are no benefits; unless you get hired fulltime by one of the companies they place you with.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 PM

452 posts, read 681,738 times
OK Fish, fess up. Were you over the road? I think yes. I doubt you were home every night and weekends off making that money driving local routes. To say you made that money "In Monroe County" is BS. That was where the hub you worked out of was located. My guess is you were out 9-11 days, home 2-3 at most and then back out. You also lucked out with a company retirement package. Something that is slowly evaporating from the workplace. And what special skill do you have to get paid twice as thought as a temp??? I was born at night man, just not last night.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
OK Fish, fess up. Were you over the road? I think yes. I doubt you were home every night and weekends off making that money driving local routes. To say you made that money "In Monroe County" is BS. That was where the hub you worked out of was located. My guess is you were out 9-11 days, home 2-3 at most and then back out. You also lucked out with a company retirement package. Something that is slowly evaporating from the workplace. And what special skill do you have to get paid twice as thought as a temp??? I was born at night man, just not last night.
I did what I had to do to make a living. Yes; I was on the road most nights, weekends and holidays - but I made good money. How many in my area spend 2/4 or 6 hours a day commuting? How many are too tired to spend time with their families when they are home?

I have always worked hard - whether I worked for union companies or non-union companies. Work does not scare me - I think of it as my exercise program.

My home terminals were in Monroe County. Yes, the employers that I worked for are no longer in my area - but there are others.

I was not kidding about starting at $14 to $15 per hour as a temp - I even gave the phone number. I have been with them since my Yellow/Roadway terminal moved out of the area. You can think that it is all BS and I'll keep laughing all the way to the bank. I was not kidding that we (me and my wife) made more money last year that we ever made.

I do know that jobs, with benefits, are getting harder and harder to find - but one must never give up.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:12 PM

Fish, I never questioned your work ethic. "Up until six years ago I was earning $75K/year in Monroe County." THATS what I called BS. Gee..based on your reply, The Capt. was right yet again. And as far as Temp work goes, you are the exception to what a high percent of what others will find. Finally, even though I don't know you, I could not be happier for you and your wife that you live in one of the few nice places in NEPA and living on a comfortable income. However, to even suggest that others looking to relocate to the area can even remotely achieve what you have by way of Temp work at that rate is down right wrong. Most will find a lousy dead end factory job a $9 per hour. Thats the reason many people don't like my posts....I tell them the harsh reality of what to expect.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Fish, I never questioned your work ethic. "Up until six years ago I was earning $75K/year in Monroe County." THATS what I called BS. Gee..based on your reply, The Capt. was right yet again. And as far as Temp work goes, you are the exception to what a high percent of what others will find. Finally, even though I don't know you, I could not be happier for you and your wife that you live in one of the few nice places in NEPA and living on a comfortable income. However, to even suggest that others looking to relocate to the area can even remotely achieve what you have by way of Temp work at that rate is down right wrong. Most will find a lousy dead end factory job a $9 per hour. Thats the reason many people don't like my posts....I tell them the harsh reality of what to expect.
What do you mean it's BS? I drove just a few miles to work and then was on their dime. Yes; I traveled out of Monroe County (I averaged about 100,000 miles/year). But my job (terminal) was located here. Monroe County still has three freight terminals, that I know about, that one can earn good money. Yes it does get harder and harder to get full time positions. For drivers you have to have clean records and experience. However; even working the freight docks one can make fair (not great) wages. I made about $20/hr here on the dock twenty five years ago.

The company that I do my temp work for hires full time employees at about $23/hr to start. They are not the only company or employer that I know about that pays that much money. I don't know of any factories that pay under $10/hour - but I never hung around low paying jobs; I always looked for more money.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:13 PM

This is a waste of my time........you just don't get it.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
This is a waste of my time........you just don't get it.
No; you don't get it. As of the end of last week my 'temp' job paid me just about $24K for the first half of this year. Yes; I did work some overtime and I have been with the job for several years. I also expect that I will be laid off for one month or so before the end of the year. I also have no benefits - but we are on Medicare and have supplemental insurance. With retirement and SS we are on our way to making more again this year - than when I was driving truck.

For all of your complaining about this area; you are not going to look for a job here - you made your choice. If you lived here and wanted a job that paid more; I would try to help.

My feeling is that many cannot live on $50K a year - that is why they travel to NJ and NYC. They have made financial commitments that require larger payoff. If you live within your means; you don't need as much to balance your books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania