Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 AM

30 posts, read 43,736 times

Advertisements

Hi all, relocating to Scranton area for work at a local hospital. Needs safe/clean temporary housing for a couple of weeks. Any recommendations on reasonable priced motels, or housing in the area within a 30 min drive from Scranton? Single female, so safety and clean is utmost importance. Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 07:57 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Residence Inn near the Viewmont Mall or Nichols Village in Clark's Summit. Both are pretty nice and have extended stay rates, but rooms may be hard to come by.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:23 AM

thanks for the reply. I will check them out.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:26 AM

Wow, 1 reply out of 81 views. Thanks all the rest of you who didn't. NOT! Nice to know the folks up here aren't very welcoming and helpful to newcomers. Don't bother with a reply. Won't be back to read it.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:52 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
Maybe the lookers are not even living near Scranton. I'm not. I saw the thread title bubble to the top, and I dropped in to see if anyone had any innovative tips for finding a place, because that information would be of use to me. Maybe there aren't any good suggestions. Maybe the populace of C-D is mostly housewives and retirees and homeowners who haven't relocated or traveled for business purposes in over 20 years. Homeowners usually stay at home, not at residence inns, you know. Only a traveler or someone in HR would pay much attention to what residence inns are in an area. Ordinary people may be able to comment on locations, much like they do on housing neighborhoods, IF you say "What about the neighborhood and safety around the _________ motel/inn?"

But don't try to be practical. Next time, just post your wants on a public chat board and demand that the readers do all of your legwork for you for free.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianna1959 View Post
Wow, 1 reply out of 81 views. Thanks all the rest of you who didn't. NOT! Nice to know the folks up here aren't very welcoming and helpful to newcomers. Don't bother with a reply. Won't be back to read it.
Too bad you won't bother reading any replys.

(For the benefit of others who may stray across this) I would have told you that I viewed it a couple times and still don't have a better suggestion...other than you try Google, Craigslist, perhaps even the hospital itself...which, given your apparent credentials, would probably have occurred to you. But since you shared no results from even the suggestion you got, readers could reasonably infer that your search for lodging had succeeded.

Secondly, though far from my knowledge of NEPA, I doubt there is a lot of the type of housing you seek around there (it isn't an area that has a high demand for this stuff outside of the universities and maybe gas guys ...often in outlying areas from Scranton and probably pricey because of the demand and $$$ in that industry...but again I speculate).

Also, the few readers of this forum, and the fewer of your post, include many who don't even live near NEPA any longer...and perhaps you didn't spend enough time reading more here (seeking simply the IMAG - Instant Magic Answer Grape) to realize that 'NEPA' covers an area well beyond 30 minutes commute to Scranton so many more might also be clueless...or others, as I, chose not to answer with a 'I don't know', or 'Try Craigslist, Google, the hospital...etc.'

I could continue, but I hope things go better today for you and that you take the chip off your shoulder before you get to NEPA or it won't get better.

Last edited by jimazee; 04-10-2014 at 07:10 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 AM

709 posts, read 955,165 times
I live 15 minutes from the hospitals. Why would I know about extended hotels in this area? I stay in my apartment for extended periods. Wells suggested Residence Inn, which came to my mind also. But I know nothing about it other than where it is. To OP, good luck with you stay.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
I never had a problem with people welcoming me to the area when I arrived here. Of course, I wasn't in the habit of pi$$ing them off before I even arrived.

I've lived here (in NEPA) for 46 years. I've never had the need to utilize an extended-stay facility. When people come to visit, I usually have them here at my home, ergo, I'm not able to offer a recommendation.

If I had a temp job, I would ask at the place that is employing me for guidance as to where I might find the accommodations I needed. Of course, that's just me.

Since so many of the people who live in NEPA are not even from the area, having migrated to NEPA from NY/NJ, in addition to being in the Poconos, they wouldn't be able to offer assistance to the OP.

This twinkie didn't indicate where she was coming from, but I have no doubt they're a much friendlier bunch.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:13 PM

30 posts, read 71,821 times
One of the things we love about the Scranton area is the friendliness of the people. Others have explained why you may have many views but only a few replies. I am from NJ. I was one of the viewers but did not respond as I did not know of any extended stay places at that point. But a quick google search turned up a TownPlace Suites by Marriott which is just a short drive outside Scranton on Montage Mountain in Moosic - a very nice area. There are probably some down in Wilkes Barre as well, about a half hour drive from Scranton.

If a regular hotel will do, I highly recommend the Hilton in Scranton. We have stayed there many times and have been warmly welcomed every time and have had outstanding accommodations. The Hampton Inn on Montage Mountain has also been great. You can check the reviews of all these places on TripAdvisor.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianna1959 View Post
I've lived here for 40+ years and wouldn't even begin to know where to direct you to place like that. Other than the seedy places I don't think they are that common here. If you are going to have an attitude over something like this please return to where you came from.

FYI views can be generated from whole bunch of sources especially a new thread. Same member clicking on it like yourself, bots like Google, scrapers, unregistered guests and someone finding it through Google and realizing it wasn't what they were looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania