U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 PM

452 posts, read 562,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
CaptTrips asking questions is never wrong. Traveling to a new area, I think it is wise to ask those who know. As usual you seem to enjoy attempting to insult people.
Insulting??? OK, but lets look at this objectively. Your post was not really a question, rather a hypothetical doomsday "What if" scenario. If you asked what roads are the best plowed or least hilly or the ones with less traffic problems based on your planed route to work, OK. And truthfully, in the weather conditions you described, your decision should be based on your vehicle and YOUR driving skills in such weather, not the opinions of others. And finally, if you feel its insulting for drivers like me not to get stuck behind drivers like you, so be it. Safe travels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 PM

28,090 posts, read 19,748,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Insulting??? OK, but lets look at this objectively. Your post was not really a question, rather a hypothetical doomsday "What if" scenario. If you asked what roads are the best plowed or least hilly or the ones with less traffic problems based on your planed route to work, OK. And truthfully, in the weather conditions you described, your decision should be based on your vehicle and YOUR driving skills in such weather, not the opinions of others. And finally, if you feel its insulting for drivers like me not to get stuck behind drivers like you, so be it. Safe travels.
I think you are one of the drivers who drives as if it is a balmy summer day instead of a snowy, icy and treacherous storm. I drive slowly during these weather events. Don't like it? Pass me.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:19 PM

452 posts, read 562,563 times
And I bet on a balmy summer day, EVERYBODY still passes you...

Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 AM

22,858 posts, read 21,918,275 times
Worst case? Over the years there have been a number of multi-car pileups attributed to rapidly dropping temperatures and ice or black ice. If a storm hits or worsens suddenly during your commute, it'll take a really long time to get home. It wasn't for work, but I remember driving Rt. 81 at 35 mph behind salt trucks because I couldn't see the road; I was following tail lights. If the driver had gone over a cliff, I would have followed him.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:05 AM

13,288 posts, read 10,667,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Worst case? Over the years there have been a number of multi-car pileups attributed to rapidly dropping temperatures and ice or black ice. If a storm hits or worsens suddenly during your commute, it'll take a really long time to get home. It wasn't for work, but I remember driving Rt. 81 at 35 mph behind salt trucks because I couldn't see the road; I was following tail lights. If the driver had gone over a cliff, I would have followed him.
Yes ice and black ice are dangerous. When I drove truck, I believe, I saw far more accidents from slush than from black ice. Most motorist have been warned to fear black ice. However, (especially for vehicles with 4-wheel and all wheel drive) many have no fear of slush. It does not take that much slush to cause any vehicle to hydroplane. Once you are hydroplaning you have no control - even less control than on the treacherous 'black ice'. Motorist will spend a fortune for vehicles that can go anyplace - but they were never warned that they will not stop or navigate slush any better than 2-wheel drive. Our first snowfalls usually claim many of these 'go anywhere' vehicles as they try to pass out slower vehicles. Snow + salt and the right temperatures will make slush.

On the subject of black ice: Many truckers are aware of how to determine when rain turns to black ice. I don't know how many motorist know? When it is cold and raining; truckers look for ice building up on our rearview mirrors. That is one sign that the roads could be getting icy. The final 'warning' of black ice is when it gets very quite and you no longer see the spray coming off the tires of other vehicles on the road. By that time motorist should have slowed down.

I have bugged our weather stations to give slush as much importance as black ice. I just feel that many overlook this very deadly road hazard.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 AM

28,090 posts, read 19,748,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
And I bet on a balmy summer day, EVERYBODY still passes you...

Ooooo BURN.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:37 AM

331 posts, read 522,481 times
I used to drive from Center Moreland to Wilkes-Barre via back roads and it was never all that bad. The road crews are relatively good at anticipating storms and cleaning up during them.

As everyone said, beware icy conditions, although this goes for any driving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania