U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,575,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
NOW I get it!!!!! .....I gave no opinion, rather just posted excerpts from the local major news sources along with the link to the articles and it's now being called "misrepresent the facts". Thanks for the laugh.
I think the issue is you're trying to include all of NEPA, if you take the murders in Wilkes-Barre out of the mix it's one of the safest places to live at least as far as murder rates go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,575,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Sherman hills seems to have their share of shootings, violence and drug crime.
Wilkes-barre has a very high murder rate for small city at least if you go by 2013 figures, it's comparable to the larger cities but not quite as bad as some of them like Detroit.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:51 PM

13,357 posts, read 10,707,986 times
Quote:
Once again my friend, comparing where I live to Nashville is like comparing NEPA with Philly. But I knowit's the best you can do. Bless your heart.
I have lived 67 years in NEPA. I have never had your problems or those that you write about. I did not make the same choices you did. Perhaps your angry with your own choices or you were just dealt a bad hand. You cannot speak for our whole area anymore than I can (although I have lived here much longer than you). Do you really think you will make our community a better place by attempting to chase people out of the area? The ones that live here and fight for positive change can and will make a difference.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:15 PM

452 posts, read 563,346 times
Well Fish....Let's take one at a time. 1) Problems and choices. I watched Hazleton get flush in my 12 years living in NEPA. I'll bet the farm if any decent person looking to move here were to work 1 week in Humbolt Ind. Park, they would run. Identifying the cause results in being called a racist. Yes, I have a problem with that. 2) My move to NEPA was based upon healthcare of a family member. 3) I still have family in the area and they are more disgusted than me with the way the area just keeps getting worse. 4) I'm not chasing anyone away, just giving some balance. 5) A positive change will come about only after the Liberals get voted out along with a slew of other things that will fill another thread. 6) People need to know what a crap hole Scranton to Hazleton is with most of the little towns in between included. How's That???

Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,965,498 times
Quote:
Well Fish....Let's take one at a time. 1) Problems and choices. I watched Hazleton get flush in my 12 years living in NEPA. I'll bet the farm if any decent person looking to move here were to work 1 week in Humbolt Ind. Park, they would run. Identifying the cause results in being called a racist. Yes, I have a problem with that. 2) My move to NEPA was based upon healthcare of a family member. 3) I still have family in the area and they are more disgusted than me with the way the area just keeps getting worse. 4) I'm not chasing anyone away, just giving some balance. 5) A positive change will come about only after the Liberals get voted out along with a slew of other things that will fill another thread. 6) People need to know what a crap hole Scranton to Hazleton is with most of the little towns in between included. How's That???
I pretty much agree with your assessment and I grew up in that area. Lived there until 1998. My brother lives in Avoca, a friend in Hughestown, one in Wyoming. Not much has changed.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
No you are not giving balance. You lump the whole NEPA area onto the same bag of worms. I point out the Nashville news and you say that is not you - that is the same thing your doing to our area! 12 years does not make you an expert on our whole area.

Yes; we have some problems. Some are improving and some are getting worse. You just don't have anymore right to criticize us than we have to criticize your new Nashville area. Just Google "the most unsafe states to live in":https://www.google.com/#q=Most+unsafe+states+to+live+in. What state tops that list! Perhaps another poor choice?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 PM

452 posts, read 563,346 times
Nice try....Last time I checked Hazleton and WB is considered NEPA.... Oh yeah, the problems TN has is rooted in the demographic majority of the cities that give the state those numbers. Opps racist comment.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Nice try....Last time I checked Hazleton and WB is considered NEPA.... Oh yeah, the problems TN has is rooted in the demographic majority of the cities that give the state those numbers. Opps racist comment.
Those two communities are only a small fraction of NEPA. You make broad assumptions about our whole area. You cannot do that anymore than I can lump you in with the rest of Tennessee or your Nashville area.

Many here will not disagree with you about Hazelton. Some will disagree about WB - it just depends on where you live.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:39 AM

28,188 posts, read 19,812,673 times
Quote:
NOW I get it!!!!! .....I gave no opinion, rather just posted excerpts from the local major news sources along with the link to the articles and it's now being called "misrepresent the facts". Thanks for the laugh.
Numbers without context mean very little, IMO. Those numbers could mean there is rampant arbitrary violence happening to innocent people or it could mean violence is almost always contained to the population that is already living a dangerous lifestyle.

My question for you: Why does it bother you for people to further explain or clarify the numbers? Are you afraid it somehow undermines your assertions? Me? I'd like the full story and numbers do not tell the whole story.

So when I said you are misrepresenting the facts I meant that you purposely worded your statements in such a way to convey the entire NEPA region as a place where random violence reigns free. This is a misrepresentation of the facts you posted.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 PM

104 posts, read 141,835 times
The vast majority of violent crime in NEPA occurs domestically and among those "in the life" (ie drug dealers, users, etc.) The chances of an innocent person minding their own business and becoming the victim of a violent crime here is very, very slim. Unless you live in the low income housing project or loiter outside of city bars at 2 am, I really don't think you have to be worried about being caught up in "another" shooting in NEPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania