U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2008, 06:37 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,137,595 times
You were out with friends, barhopping. You weren't at the parade. Like I said, that's two different things.

Parade Day sucks.....for you. The crowd, year after year, continues to prove that around 80,000 or so others think it's still a pretty good day.

You probably won't be missed at this year's parade, either.

"...if I said that it was great you would say that it sucks..." zzzzingggg!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 06:37 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,469,789 times
Hey 570717 let it go. Your in Fla and seriously your Doherty flag waving is getting old. You guys think that the parade was such a success? What do you think Matt Grendel's parents think about it? My wifes uncle is on the parade committee and lets just say that they were disappointed last year to say the least. They were embarrassed about Boccardo's and Northern lights as well as the large amount of arrests for kids under 16 that were drunk. Come on paint cans off a bridge and thru the windshield of a car? 14 year old girls arrested in the mall for public nudity and underage drinking? These are the standards that you feel are ok for our city and what they sell as a family affair? If it was up to the parade committee the bars would not even be allowed to open. You just keep cheering and cheering. Sure let your kids come to the parade and just hope they make it home alive. I bet that the Grendel family will be there in full force this year for the family event.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:41 PM

Wait your kidding me right there is a difference between going to the bars and going to the parade? I'm missing it oh yeh your right well maybe we should seperate the two and have the assh^*e drunkfest on one day and the parade on another. Sure your right those 80,000 come for the high school bands and floats, what was I thinking. You take the booze out of the picture for one year and that number would drop as fast as Doherty has raised our debt. Not to mention the fact that your supposed to celebrating a Irishman would was actually welsh.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:55 PM

Tell me what the city of Scranton has to do with kids drinking underage, or vandalizing property? How is the city responsible for a college kid getting drunk and falling into a gorge? You're acting like Doherty himself bought them the alcohol. Grow. Up. Dan.

You hate Doherty, we get it. I can seperate the guy from irresponsible acts that have nothing at all to do with anything other than kids getting a hold of alcohol and drinking like it's their job. Blah blah blah. You're a broken record, already. It's not the administration's responsibility to control children who get their hands on alcohol and can't handle it. Blame the parents for not having a frigging clue what their children are doing. Doherty is not the damn baby sitter, and this is also not the only time kids have gotten drunk and done boneheaded things.

Yes, there's a huge difference between going to the bars and going to the parade. And yes, you're missing it. Us adults like us can seperate the two, and still have a really good time. You, apparently, can't seperate your sphincter from your neck.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:10 PM

You guys think that the parade was such a success? Yes.

What do you think Matt Grendel's parents think about it? They're probably a little disappointed in their kid, deep down and honestly, for being so irresponsible and drinking himself into a stupor. They probably thought they raised him better than that.

My wifes uncle is on the parade committee and lets just say that they were disappointed last year to say the least. Understandable, but none of it was remotely their fault.

They were embarrassed about Boccardo's and Northern lights as well as the large amount of arrests for kids under 16 that were drunk. And so were probably tens of thousands of people who were at the parade and didn't get drunk or break windows or get arrested.

Come on paint cans off a bridge and thru the windshield of a car? 14 year old girls arrested in the mall for public nudity and underage drinking? Their parents must have been so proud. I wonder if they even knew where their precious little angels were.

These are the standards that you feel are ok for our city and what they sell as a family affair? These are not standards that anyone is saying are ok. Where is anyone even hinting that these are acceptable standards for anytime?

If it was up to the parade committee the bars would not even be allowed to open. But it's not, so they do. Not everyone is thrilled about it, but that's a free market economy for you. Some of us just don't bother patronizing those places.

You just keep cheering and cheering. Sure let your kids come to the parade and just hope they make it home alive. Or maybe we'll be responsible people and be with them, instead of just dropping them off and not having a clue or giving a damn what they're up to.

I bet that the Grendel family will be there in full force this year for the family event. And my bet is that they don't have a drop to drink if they do.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:23 PM

Your confusing the city gov't with the city as a whole, but if the city gov't would try to help to get the non-stopping drinking down to low roar then maybe they and or all of us wouldn't have to be embarrased by these actions. Lets face it this event has been a out of control drinking fest with a parade for many years. I never said Doherty's admin or any other in particular for that matter I said the city, period. This is nothing new but they have been progressively getting worse. It seems each year there is something more that happens and when do we decide enough is enough? Its a Scranton problem and if the city thinks that its good for our image to have 10,000 people drunk before 10am then I guess they might be right. I say try it for one year. Bars open at noon and close by 8pm on parade day. They pass oridinances for nothing all the time, why not a city ordinance to curb the drinking on parade day. The god damn parade isn't even on St. Pats day so there you have . Want to get drunk? Go out on st. pats day. Want to take your family out for a day the come to parade day. Seriously I guess with your train of thought we should maybe open the bars at 6am on the santa parade day and start the egg nog rollin. It would be good for business right? My pride is restored!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:36 PM

Careful all that crying doesn't flood your basement. You're reading an awful lot into my posts.

The "god damn parade" could never be held on a weekday, and you know it. It's always been held on the Saturday closest to St. Patrick's day. So there you have.

Boy you're a whiny little drama queen tonight. You need some Balmex or something, it seems.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:08 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,147,323 times
WOW. This post went from bad soup at Coopers to the damn parade. Boy, do we like to stray from the topic.To me, it's all in good fun. How can you truly get worked up over an internet forum site.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 PM

25,852 posts, read 44,096,869 times
I'm sorry, but even though he's been brash I must agree with CHS89 here, Dan. My friend, her boyfriend, and myself were just three of the tens of thousands of revelers who showed up just for the bands, floats, bagpipers, etc. in 2007. We didn't have a single drink. Why? Well for starters we were all 20 at the time. Next we were MATURE and RESPONSIBLE enough to know that there is no pride in public intoxication and that acting in such a fashion would be very detrimental to nearby children.

I hate to say this, but as big of a Scranton cheerleader as I am I'll never be able to excuse the blatant alcoholism of its residents. You're talking about the same group of people who pardoned a city council candidate for his DUI, an offense that could have resulted in him taking an innocent life, but then turned around and slammed him into the ground for being a "spoiler" in the election, as if wanting to run for office is somehow worse than drinking and driving. ConorsDad said it best when he mentioned the mass number of blue-collars who feel the need to sit on their dupas at the corner bar every night getting smashed and spending $20 per night buying rounds for their friends while complaining that they can't afford to pay their taxes. The priorities of many folks in your city are disgusting, which is also why people behave the way they do on parade day. If DUIs are embraced and brushed off as "not a big deal," then do you honestly believe that people will get the message that alcoholism is a bad thing? Of course not. As long as your brethren in the city embrace "the drink" such irresponsible actions are going to occur.

I myself am "dry" (in more ways than one I'm sure) and am proud of it. My friends and I LOVED the parade, and while we did see people walking by with open containers, offensive t-shirts, etc., we didn't see all of the brawling, window-smashing, vandalism, urination, vomiting, etc. that the others are claiming happens all over during the parade. I was a little angry when a guy yelled at my friend because his daughter couldn't see over him (even though we were there long before they had arrived), but five years experience in retail has taught me to be patient for uneducated morons like that who don't know how to politely ask for someone to move.

Will I be back in Scranton for this year's parade. More than likely. Why? It's a GREAT time! Anyone who thinks you need to drink in order to enjoy the atmosphere is a disgrace to the city's intellect.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 AM

3,234 posts, read 4,147,323 times
The city could tell the bars to open after the actual parade, not hours before. That would help big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania