U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 09:48 AM

29,615 posts, read 65,640,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I can't remember her name.
It's Sister Adrian Barrett.

If you people honestly believe the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area wouldn't have become overrun with low-lives without her assistance then you are more gullible than I thought.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 PM

3,673 posts, read 3,251,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It's Sister Adrian Barrett.

If you people honestly believe the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area wouldn't have become overrun with low-lives without her assistance then you are more gullible than I thought.
Thanks, I just Googled her. Sister Adrian Barrett, IHM, looks familiar and I'm sure I've seen her on the news. I believe she puts on a Thanksgiving dinner for the poor each year, among other things.

The IHM Sisters have done a lot for Scranton, from feeding and caring for the poor to founding Marywood University and Catholic elementary and secondary schools all around NEPA.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 PM

21 posts, read 43,098 times
Sister Adrian Barrett, IHM, started the nonprofit Friends of the Poor in 1984, according to the FB site. It's purpose: "to ease the burden of living in poverty and enhance the quality of life for all who live in low-to-moderate-income communities." Laudable, critical work. Nothing without cost, however.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 PM

And addiction/alcoholism, mental illness, and lack of affordable treatment can make employment issues a mute point.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 PM

29,615 posts, read 65,640,395 times
Employers that pay family-sustaining salaries aren't going to site themselves within a region that is as poorly-educated as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. This is why hundreds of people lined up to work for new retailers like Gabriel Brothers in Wilkes-Barre for $8/hr. and why thousands of people clamor to work in the "flex buildings" in Pittston Township---packing boxes and unloading trucks in warehouses for $10/hr. That's the best someone with just a high school diploma is really going to be able to get in the region in terms of stable employment with benefits. This isn't the Techneglas era where hundreds of people could walk out of high school with a diploma and make $20/hr. at "da factree" for life. It's a different economy now.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:35 AM

I agree. And, although the area holds promise in the health-related jobs and maybe more, these promising sectors sit in a matrix of economic depression. Naturally, many young docs are drawn away.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:00 PM

21,186 posts, read 5,516,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Interesting. I've lived in PA since 1993 and we watch WNEP news just about every night. I never heard of "Sister Sneakers", and a quick Google search turns up nothing.
AKA Sister Adrienne. She always wore sneakers hence the nickname Sister Sneakers.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:00 AM

3,673 posts, read 3,251,579 times
So, she the IHM sisters in general, or Sister Adrian in particular, really put up billboards in ghetto areas of other cities telling people to move to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and sign up for welfare?

Or is it an urban legend? Can anyone post a link to an article about it, or a photo of one of the billboards? Like I said, I've lived in the area since 1993 and never heard of this controversy, so it may have been before my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or