U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:58 AM

1,362 posts, read 2,070,935 times

Advertisements

I would recommend staying away from Beltzville due to the high amount of riff-raff from the big cities that frequent that particular park....even the BBQ pits were stolen.....high gang influence there as well....and loud music playing which disturbs others....Lake Wallenpaupack is 100 times more better....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 12:52 AM

22,816 posts, read 21,862,642 times
They're all different. The last time I went swimming in a lake in that area was at Hickory Run State Park. The water looked good.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:54 AM

1,689 posts, read 3,111,523 times
Hickory Run looks very clean, I was just there recently and many people were swimming. They just fixed the dam and the water that flows into the lake looks good. Around there it seems it a bit less built up so chances of run off into the water that feeds the lake is likely less tainted. I also didn't see Geese there. Now Beltzville is another story. We went there once and don't plan on returning, David Webb pretty much summed it up nicely. Then add in all the Geese that drop feces there and runoff from 209 and 476 it's not a nice park.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:25 PM

13,246 posts, read 10,635,262 times
While many are worried about our lake water; possibly they should look at their pool, hot tub and water park water: The Grossest Things You Didn!

Old 07-16-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
While many are worried about our lake water; possibly they should look at their pool, hot tub and water park water: The Grossest Things You Didn!
I'm haven't been in a public pool for years, so I'm not going to read those. I'd probably have nightmares.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:11 PM

6,232 posts, read 7,425,839 times
When my youngest was 15 through 18, he was a lifeguard at our town pool. They took water samples at the start of the day, a few hours in, and the samples went to the Red Cross. Was there bodily fluids/solids in the samples? Sure, sometimes. So they were told how much of which chemicals to add to the water.

Given that people are pigs, there would, on occasion, be a "floater" and then the pool would shut down for the day. Repercussions from that - lifeguards were sent home and no pay for the missing hours. Kids (who weren't responsible for said "floater" were deprived of the privilege of swimming for the missing hours. The pool had to be checked, re-sanitized and checked again until it came up contaminant-free. The staff did their best but sometimes...as I said...

Old 07-16-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
When my youngest was 15 through 18, he was a lifeguard at our town pool. They took water samples at the start of the day, a few hours in, and the samples went to the Red Cross. Was there bodily fluids/solids in the samples? Sure, sometimes. So they were told how much of which chemicals to add to the water.

Given that people are pigs, there would, on occasion, be a "floater" and then the pool would shut down for the day. Repercussions from that - lifeguards were sent home and no pay for the missing hours. Kids (who weren't responsible for said "floater" were deprived of the privilege of swimming for the missing hours. The pool had to be checked, re-sanitized and checked again until it came up contaminant-free. The staff did their best but sometimes...as I said...
I had to take care of one large resort pool when I was 14. Fortunately I do not remember floaters! I do remember adding lots of chlorine and algaecide. The hotter the day and the brighter the sunlight; the more chlorine I added.

The resort also had one small lake. The lake was loaded with our common eastern brown water snakes. It was just downstream of one swamp where they bred. When I mowed around the lake the snakes would go flying out of the mower discharge chute - looking more like half a dozen hot dogs! It was very easy for our vacationers to step on one of these snakes, by accident, while walking around the lake! It was not good advertisement for the hotel - but it was always exciting to see the reaction of the guest!

Old 07-16-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

My nephew was a lifeguard at a city pool. Not a week went by that it wasn't closed at least one day.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I had to take care of one large resort pool when I was 14. Fortunately I do not remember floaters! I do remember adding lots of chlorine and algaecide. The hotter the day and the brighter the sunlight; the more chlorine I added.

The resort also had one small lake. The lake was loaded with our common eastern brown water snakes. It was just downstream of one swamp where they bred. When I mowed around the lake the snakes would go flying out of the mower discharge chute - looking more like half a dozen hot dogs! It was very easy for our vacationers to step on one of these snakes, by accident, while walking around the lake! It was not good advertisement for the hotel - but it was always exciting to see the reaction of the guest!
That's quite a description, fisheye. I can just see those hot dogs flying.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's quite a description, fisheye. I can just see those hot dogs flying.
Those snakes also have a nasty disposition. When they are stepped on; they immediately strike and don't quickly let go. Plus they look very similar to our local copperheads - to add to the 'fun'!

You can see these snakes in our local streams and ponds. They usually hug the shoreline while they are fishing. If they get too far out in the lake; the larger fish will treat the smaller ones as big worms.

All snakes in PA are now highly protected. Even copperheads and rattlesnakes are protected - our Game Commission does sell permits to kill those poisonous snakes - but the limit is only one or two each year. Even if a person has one close to their house; our Game commission does not want us to disturb the snake - they have guidelines for moving the snakes safety away form the house (so as to not disturb the snake)! I always wondered if they have problems with hit-and-run lawn mowing maniacs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania