U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2016, 06:04 AM
 
25,507 posts, read 23,340,289 times
Reputation: 15350

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Cydog? There are stray dogs or wild, feral dogs. Years ago, I'd occasionally see a stray in the woods outside of town. My eldest brother ran into a couple of small feral dog packs out in the woods. While they weren't aggressive, they followed him.
Gerania, it is my understanding...that coydogs are a product of the dogs many people dropped off up in the Poconos, to fend for themselves, who packed up with coyotes, and cross bred? half dog, half coyote. ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2016, 06:06 AM
 
25,507 posts, read 23,340,289 times
Reputation: 15350
I'm going to take this to another level...

I've learned that sharks are attracted to pee....for some reason or another, therefore, if your swimming in a huge river, like the Delaware, where Bull sharks are known to be seen, (they figured out that Bulls swim in fresh water to have their young) and have been found in the Mississippi river, way up north....so don't pee in the water, or the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,246 posts, read 10,635,262 times
Reputation: 9436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't know if this is true, but did you know that our Northeastern Rattler, is supposed to be a larger snake then the Southern Diamondback rattler?

Don't remember were I read that though?
I am pretty sure you are right; but I did not take the time to check it out. I do know that the one snake I encountered was very, very large!


If I would have been him, I'd have been so scared to come out of that tree, for fear they'd not be too far away.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Do you remember the time Gary Ott was transporting bears through Brodheadsville, Rt. 209, and please correct me if I'm wrong? But one got lose and attacked a kid in his own yard...luckily the father was there and he fought off the bear with a rake. I believe the child was only 6 years old.

I had heard that Gary Ott was doing some kind of tests, cross breeding Black bears with Grizzlys? That I find hard to believe, b/c he was so wild life oriented and I just couldn't believe he was playing with nature like that?
I don't know if I ever heard that? I am not a big fan of Gary Alt; I did not like the direction that he took when in charge of our Game Commission. We do not have the deer today; that we had before Alt - thanks to his leadership. As a homeowner I can also understand the need to control our herds. However; I do miss the days when I could count one hundred deer in one field. PA used to have more deer than any other state. After Alt I saw more deer in our neighboring states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 01:15 PM
 
25,507 posts, read 23,340,289 times
Reputation: 15350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am pretty sure you are right; but I did not take the time to check it out. I do know that the one snake I encountered was very, very large!


If I would have been him, I'd have been so scared to come out of that tree, for fear they'd not be too far away.




I don't know if I ever heard that? I am not a big fan of Gary Alt; I did not like the direction that he took when in charge of our Game Commission. We do not have the deer today; that we had before Alt - thanks to his leadership. As a homeowner I can also understand the need to control our herds. However; I do miss the days when I could count one hundred deer in one field. PA used to have more deer than any other state. After Alt I saw more deer in our neighboring states.
I believe you are right....
When you get a chance, b/c for me, it' s been a long, long time....

what are the PA laws for harvesting deer..

i.e. Muzzle loader
bow and arrow, etc...
and doe as well....

Jersey used to have more then PA, but perhaps that has changed.
btw, no hurry.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,246 posts, read 10,635,262 times
Reputation: 9436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I believe you are right....
When you get a chance, b/c for me, it' s been a long, long time....

what are the PA laws for harvesting deer..

i.e. Muzzle loader
bow and arrow, etc...
and doe as well....

Jersey used to have more then PA, but perhaps that has changed.
btw, no hurry.....
Actually, my feeling was, that it was a combination of events. Alt hurt the herds with the combination hunts - shoot doe or buck. Before hunters could only hunt doe for three days. After Alt they could hunt doe for two weeks. He did that at the same time as the coydogs started to move into PA. It was done with the idea of creating larger buck.

I was a truck driver and hunter at that time. I always loved to look for wildlife, to kill the time, while I was on the road. Our herds simply disappeared. I could drive route I-80 to Ohio and back and not see one deer (most of the time; occasionally I would see some). However, if you go back 30 years; I could not have driven from Tannersville to Blakeslee without counting dozens of deer.

I gave up hunting not that long after my observations. I am still a hunting camp member; but only to go fishing and to target practice. Our camp, that used to fill many of our tags; now is luck to get just a few deer.

At that time I was seeing more deer in NJ, OH, and NY than in PA. I drove about 100,000 miles/year back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 05:42 AM
 
25,507 posts, read 23,340,289 times
Reputation: 15350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Actually, my feeling was, that it was a combination of events. Alt hurt the herds with the combination hunts - shoot doe or buck. Before hunters could only hunt doe for three days. After Alt they could hunt doe for two weeks. He did that at the same time as the coydogs started to move into PA. It was done with the idea of creating larger buck.

I was a truck driver and hunter at that time. I always loved to look for wildlife, to kill the time, while I was on the road. Our herds simply disappeared. I could drive route I-80 to Ohio and back and not see one deer (most of the time; occasionally I would see some). However, if you go back 30 years; I could not have driven from Tannersville to Blakeslee without counting dozens of deer.

I gave up hunting not that long after my observations. I am still a hunting camp member; but only to go fishing and to target practice. Our camp, that used to fill many of our tags; now is luck to get just a few deer.

At that time I was seeing more deer in NJ, OH, and NY than in PA. I drove about 100,000 miles/year back then.
Interesting Fisheye, always so enjoy your stories...

I didn't know that?

So, how bout now, do you think the herd has replenished itself...
I'm not going to go into my story, but I know what you say is true from experience up there....

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,246 posts, read 10,635,262 times
Reputation: 9436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Interesting Fisheye, always so enjoy your stories...

I didn't know that?

So, how bout now, do you think the herd has replenished itself...
I'm not going to go into my story, but I know what you say is true from experience up there....

Thanks so much!
Basically nobody wants deer. Homeowners buy expensive shrubs that end up as appetizers. Loggers blame the deer for destroying their 'cash crop'. Ecologist blame the deer for killing off the new growth (I tend to blame acid rain). Insurance companies would suffer no love loss if all of the deer disappeared. Farmers, of course, have a vested interest in keeping the numbers low. Drivers don't like to hit deer.

When I was young it sounded like WWII on the first day of deer season. Heck; I think you would have been branded as some kind of wierdo if you did not take off school to hunt. Today most people don't even know that the season started - you cannot tell by the sound of gunfire. The number of hunters has been falling: Number of U.S. hunters dwindles - USATODAY.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 08:14 AM
 
25,507 posts, read 23,340,289 times
Reputation: 15350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Basically nobody wants deer. Homeowners buy expensive shrubs that end up as appetizers. Loggers blame the deer for destroying their 'cash crop'. Ecologist blame the deer for killing off the new growth (I tend to blame acid rain). Insurance companies would suffer no love loss if all of the deer disappeared. Farmers, of course, have a vested interest in keeping the numbers low. Drivers don't like to hit deer.

When I was young it sounded like WWII on the first day of deer season. Heck; I think you would have been branded as some kind of wierdo if you did not take off school to hunt. Today most people don't even know that the season started - you cannot tell by the sound of gunfire. The number of hunters has been falling: Number of U.S. hunters dwindles - USATODAY.com.
yes, the schools used to give the kids off on the first day of Buck.

We hit many a deer while I was living up there....cannot believe the herd has thinned.
That is sad....miss seeing pheasants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,246 posts, read 10,635,262 times
Reputation: 9436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, the schools used to give the kids off on the first day of Buck.

We hit many a deer while I was living up there....cannot believe the herd has thinned.
That is sad....miss seeing pheasants
Right now we have half a dozen to one dozen deer that claim our property as their territory. Years ago I could count 50 to 75. I do think the deer we have now eat as much as the larger herds use to eat!

As far as pheasants; they do not last long after our State stocks them. Hunters get some; but the hawks, coyotes and foxes finish off the rest.

Like I said before, to kill time while driving truck; I would look for wildlife. I drove for years without seeing one pheasant. Then, coming into our State on I-81 by the Maryland line; I spotted one beautiful male pheasant on the apron of the interstate. He stayed there as my tractor passed him and as my first trailer passed him - but he decided to fly as my second trailer went by. For the next year I could still see the grease spot and a few feathers on the side of the road! At least I solved the mystery of why pheasants don't survive in PA; we never taught them how to cross our roads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 03:27 PM
 
25,507 posts, read 23,340,289 times
Reputation: 15350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Right now we have half a dozen to one dozen deer that claim our property as their territory. Years ago I could count 50 to 75. I do think the deer we have now eat as much as the larger herds use to eat!

As far as pheasants; they do not last long after our State stocks them. Hunters get some; but the hawks, coyotes and foxes finish off the rest.

Like I said before, to kill time while driving truck; I would look for wildlife. I drove for years without seeing one pheasant. Then, coming into our State on I-81 by the Maryland line; I spotted one beautiful male pheasant on the apron of the interstate. He stayed there as my tractor passed him and as my first trailer passed him - but he decided to fly as my second trailer went by. For the next year I could still see the grease spot and a few feathers on the side of the road! At least I solved the mystery of why pheasants don't survive in PA; we never taught them how to cross our roads!
awwwww.....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top