U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 04:45 PM

4 posts, read 11,615 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm considering moving to Scranton. I've read about the good and the bad of Scranton. As I'm a glass is half full kind of person, I believe there's good and bad everywhere. The houses I'm looking at are well within my price range and a job isn't really an issue for me.

What I'd really like is your honest feedback on Scranton as a whole; especially Northern Scranton.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 04:53 PM

101 posts, read 84,247 times
Hello Augustrush10,
I'm glad you see Scranton the way you do Agree there is good and bad everywhere. The homes are very affordable and nice for the price. I currently live in North Scranton nicest part of town in my opinion, you have all the stores & great restaurants you want within 1-2 miles. You have nice parks within walking distance and very friendly ppl once you get to know everyone. It is also very safe in the neighborhood. Don't pay attention to the negative, most of that is ppl who never left the area or have nothing else better to do. LOL Good Luck to you!!!!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:39 PM

Thank you for your feedback and good wishes seminolecounty14. ����

Old 08-09-2014, 01:44 PM

163 posts, read 144,528 times
do you have stores you can walk to in safe neighborhoods I dont drive that much and hate highway driving

Old 08-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Hi pinecone lady,

North Scranton is very walkable. I hate highway driving too.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Also to my knowledge and from speaking with some locals, it's a safe area.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 AM

101 posts, read 84,247 times
It is a very safe area in North Scranton, very walkable and enjoyable to walk In North Scranton you can walk to the Greenridge Shopping area there is a Giant, Walgreens & Plannet Fitness, & plenty of food places. You can also walk to Keyser Shopping Center they have dollar store, Ollies Outlet & Gerrity's Shursave. Also Mcdonalds, Burger King & KFC. There is also doctors offices & Lab, 24 hour gas station too. The Viewmont Mall Shoping District is walkable too, it has Walmart, the mall & every food place you can imagine. They just don't have the sidewalks when you get up by mall but, ppl walk it all the time. We also have a community park and pool & Providence Square to walk to with a few mom & pop nice food places.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,629 times
Lived in Scranton over 5 years in 4 different parts of town. Moved to North Scranton 10 months ago, and it's the only place where I'm renewing my lease. In fact, my woman and I are thinking about buying our home here. House values are great, but the schools suck. Luckily, not an issue for me. Also the school tax is high, as well as property taxes. Keeps me renting.

And speaking of renting - moved out here from San Diego. My pals back there are paying 4x the rent I am. 400%! Craziness.

As far as crime, overwhelmingly, North Scranton is the safest area I've ever lived (SD included). My car has been broken into three times in this city (more often than SD), but remains completely untouched every night here. Each of my immediate neighbors made a point of spending at least a few minutes getting to know me within a month of living here.

North Scranton has a genuine 'small town' feel to be sure, but I challenge seminolecounty to where is there any place that it's "enjoyable to walk" in North Scranton that's close to both Greenridge and the Viewmont Mall. Plus, the hike to Viewmont is all steeply uphill. If you're fit enough to call that trek "enjoyable", I salute you, and watch out for cars. That entire area is NOT developed for pedestrian traffic.

But, yeah. I like calling North Scranton home. For now.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:39 AM

7 posts, read 4,792 times
I grew up in Scranton in the 70's, moved in '86 and moved back from '04-'08. The reason I moved back was because I bought a house cheap and had good work close by and didn't want to travel. Ended up buying 2 more houses there and now I rent all three and live about an hour away. Just like any other mid-sized city in a somewhat depressed area there is going to be good and bad. My houses are in good quiet neighborhoods but there are plenty of not so nice neighborhoods too. Houses are cheap but wage tax and real estate tax are high. Many have moved to surrounding areas because of this. Lower paid and undocumented have taken over entire sections. Rent is reasonable for the area. Downtown is falling apart but there is always somebody trying to make it better. Unfortunately, the city is broke and raising taxes isn't the way to fix it. All in all if you like mid-sized city life there is plenty enough to do and most of the people are descent with hard working values.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:33 PM

4 posts, read 2,843 times
i am try to move too. i am so scared i dont want to go to bad area. we live here in vegas nv. we want to buy a home there. because my family is in ny and nj and is really closed. i will like if you can help me about what street is bad there? and what area and how is life there. i live before in wilke barre like for 9 moths. i know wilke barre already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or