U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 AM

291 posts, read 567,122 times

Advertisements

SlackerJohn-
Teachers are great. I teach in eastburg SD but know 8 teachers who teach in various grades at PV. All of my sons teachers have been great so far and so has the administration. As with anything, the more you are involved with your child and the more you value education the better the relationship with the school and all its personnel. Dress code is a non issue really. My biggest problem with it relates to the shoes/sneakers. I like color, my kids like color but you can only have a white/black/brown/grey base with one additional color. It's not like it's hard to find sneakers...it just limits you. Bussing can be a long ride. I live 4.5 minutes from our elementary school and my son is the second to last stop on the way to school. He has a 10 minute ride in the AM. In the afternoon he is looking at :45 to 1 hour. I usually do parent pick-up when I can so he doesn't have to sit that long. All bus drivers have been pretty good so far, except for the first day of school. That's always a long ride Any other questions feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 08:33 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,834,086 times
Just an observation -- expecting to have a done deal a week from now and just starting to ask questions about the area is kind of ass-backwards, if you ask me. What if we'd told you a bunch of horror stories? For others reading this thread, do the research well before you even start looking at houses -- not after you've found the house.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 PM

9,483 posts, read 10,733,590 times
I actually disagree about how big a deal the dress code is. Kids are in the office and in trouble more about what they wear than their behaviors. I feel that teachers are under pressure to catch kids in code infractions, no matter how small, and then they are sent to the office and their parents are called to bring a change of clothes. Kids are in in-school suspension until that happens. I have had some teachers or those in the office also be contradictory about what is and is not acceptable.

My daughter was in the office for help from the counselor with a bully, having to sit next to said bully....but the bully was sent back to class because the counselor was suddenly unavailable to address the situation....but my daughter was punished because she was noticed to not be wearing correct code color shoes. I think the message to her was that bullying her was fine, but her choice of shoes was wrong. wrong message...

Old 08-15-2014, 05:07 PM

291 posts, read 567,122 times
That sounds like an incident to be brought to the superintendents situation. I would not let that slide if it was my child. We are implementing a dress code this year in my school and you best believe that I am against it...However it is my job, so to prove how meaningless and petty it is, I know almost every teacher is going to be sending every kid to the office at once to overwhelm them to show the stupidity of a public school dress code. I feel for the teacher because it is their butt that is reamed out if a child is found in violation and was proven to be in their class before the violation occurs. The idea behind the dress code was that it put everyone on the same level but just like in life there is not only one level. So some kids get left behind bc they cant afford it which completely nixes the idea of dress codes in the first place. It is a monkey see monkey do world in education. It is broke and it will not be fixed. Just enjoy the ride as best you can.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:52 AM

9,483 posts, read 10,733,590 times
oh i did not let that one go, gave em hell.

sometimes i feel the idea behind it is to create little stepford children...

Old 09-05-2014, 05:40 PM

9 posts, read 8,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Just an observation -- expecting to have a done deal a week from now and just starting to ask questions about the area is kind of ass-backwards, if you ask me. What if we'd told you a bunch of horror stories? For others reading this thread, do the research well before you even start looking at houses -- not after you've found the house.

I stated a solid deal not a "DONE DEAL" . So do you have any "HORROR STORIES" or an actual answer to my question or ..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or