U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-15-2014, 12:33 PM
 
31 posts, read 30,417 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

I just bought a vacation home a few weeks ago in the Skyview Lake community, and am trying to come up with a gameplan as to how to handle disposal of garbage that accumulates during our stay. I hear some folks pay a monthly fee for this service, but am hesitant to do this since we will not be living there full time. As of now, we have been bringing our garbage back home to Long Island but I am open to suggestions.

Also, the sellers left an old non-functioning washing machine that I would like to get rid of. I don't have a truck, so carting it out myself is out of the question unless I dismantle it piece by piece and gradually take it home with me.

Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2014, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,152 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9316
I would ask the realtor that you bought your property from about the garbage. As far as the washing machine: some places (like Home Depot or Lowes) will take your old machines (for free) when you buy a new machine. For some time (I think) PP&L might have been taking old washing machines? I see that they are supposedly taking freezers and refrigerators: https://www.pplelectric.com/save-ene...recycling.aspx.

In Pocono Summit there is a transfer station that allows us to bring in garbage and old appliances. The metal they don't charge for - the garbage is a nominal fee based on the amount. They might have restrictions on old appliances with compressors? Perhaps you have a transfer station closer to Lake Wallenpaupak?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 07:44 PM
 
37,072 posts, read 38,297,253 times
Reputation: 14835
My garbage hauler is paid by the bag, find out who the neighbors use and see if they have similar arrangement.

If you have no way to get rid of the machine cart it out to the the street and put a sign on it, "Scrap, take me". Check Craigslist too, you might find someone to come and take it. That actually has value and can be sold at the local scrapyard for a few bucks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
3,676 posts, read 3,256,157 times
Reputation: 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you have no way to get rid of the machine cart it out to the the street and put a sign on it, "Scrap, take me". Check Craigslist too, you might find someone to come and take it. That actually has value and can be sold at the local scrapyard for a few bucks.
Amen to that! Unlike refrigerators and air conditioners that have Freon, you can dispose of a washing machine at a scrap yard, or someone may come by and take it off your hands for free if scrap yards are not your style.

Also, when you find out about local garbage companies, consider their pickup day. If you head back east on Sunday afternoon and you put your garbage out, will it really sit unmolested by the curb until Friday morning?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 07:26 AM
 
1,168 posts, read 1,829,161 times
Reputation: 1074
If you're at all friendly with your full-time neighbors, and assuming you're not generating more than a modest bag after a weekend stay, maybe offer to pay them a small amount to put your garbage out with theirs. Maybe $10 or so? That might be cheaper than hauling it someplace, and jtab's point is spot-on -- your garbage would be strewn all over the place by racoons or dogs or bears if you left it out multiple days without being around to notice.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Long Island and PA too:)
213 posts, read 253,191 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by minuteman1970 View Post
I just bought a vacation home a few weeks ago in the Skyview Lake community, and am trying to come up with a gameplan as to how to handle disposal of garbage that accumulates during our stay. I hear some folks pay a monthly fee for this service, but am hesitant to do this since we will not be living there full time. As of now, we have been bringing our garbage back home to Long Island but I am open to suggestions.

Also, the sellers left an old non-functioning washing machine that I would like to get rid of. I don't have a truck, so carting it out myself is out of the question unless I dismantle it piece by piece and gradually take it home with me.

Any suggestions?
Congrats on your new home! We too bring our garbage back to Long Island
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 AM
 
2,656 posts, read 2,822,870 times
Reputation: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2PA View Post
Congrats on your new home! We too bring our garbage back to Long Island
Funnily, it may end up back in a NEPA landfill!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top