U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 6,878 times

Advertisements

My andromeda shrubs are 15 years old and 7-8feet tall they have provided a beautiful border for many years. Our past winter was very cold and they seemed to have been having issues since then. When now shoots develop, they appear healthy with perfect leaves. After a few days, they leaves begin to cur, turn brown and eventually fall off. Many of the branches have turned "wooden" and can snap right off. The result is numerous gaps in the shrubs and a sad sickly look. Is this from root rot from the snow and ice? Can they be saved? We hope!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 06:07 PM

13,134 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGriz View Post
My andromeda shrubs are 15 years old and 7-8feet tall they have provided a beautiful border for many years. Our past winter was very cold and they seemed to have been having issues since then. When now shoots develop, they appear healthy with perfect leaves. After a few days, they leaves begin to cur, turn brown and eventually fall off. Many of the branches have turned "wooden" and can snap right off. The result is numerous gaps in the shrubs and a sad sickly look. Is this from root rot from the snow and ice? Can they be saved? We hope!

We love our Andromeda's. They are one of the few shrubs that our deer will not eat. We have a few that eight or ten feet tall. My guess is that you have a borer that got into them? if that is the case; you might be able to save them with a systemic pesticide/fertilizer? You can also ask this question on our national "garden' forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/garden/. Perhaps our moderator might move your thread there? There are plenty of 'experts' on the national level.

I am having problems with my English Boxwood right now. The leaves are turning yellow - I believe they have a disease. There is one disease that does affect this shrub. It is a shame; because they are one of the few other plants that deer do not eat. Last year's hard winter might have hurt them?

Hope you can save them. Welcome to our forum!

PS Our wild turkeys will sometimes hide their heads in our Andromeda's to keep the rain off their heads - of course; the rest of their bodies get soaked!

Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,828,027 times
Try gardenweb -- best resource for plant info.

(I have some hostas that inexplicably died off this year also, though my andromedas are doing fine.)

Old 08-30-2014, 07:11 PM

977 posts, read 783,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

PS Our wild turkeys will sometimes hide their heads in our Andromeda's to keep the rain off their heads - of course; the rest of their bodies get soaked!
This gave me the giggles! If you ever get a photo, please do post it here! I'd love to see it. We've had wild turkeys visit our yard a few times, but just for a day or two and then they're gone again. I was so surprised. I thought for sure they had escaped from a farm somewhere.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:06 AM

13,134 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
This gave me the giggles! If you ever get a photo, please do post it here! I'd love to see it. We've had wild turkeys visit our yard a few times, but just for a day or two and then they're gone again. I was so surprised. I thought for sure they had escaped from a farm somewhere.
I'm looking; but I haven't found the pictures. I do have them someplace. I did find this one to give you something to see in the meantime (That was a cold Spring several years ago) :

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania