U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:10 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,321,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
About the same time that we spotted that lion; we had a logger that spotted a dead deer with it's throat torn out. That was on his trip into our camp property. On his way out the deer was gone.
At least a dozen years ago, a friend of mine was doing some unrelated research in the woods of Marquette County in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. He happened upon a dead deer that was draped over a branch high up in a tree--another indication of Cougar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 02:15 PM

32,105 posts, read 39,155,933 times

This is the only kind of cougar you're likely to find in that part of PA.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:21 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,321,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

This is the only kind of cougar you're likely to find in that part of PA.
Yes, they can be very stealthy, too...but that doesn't mean that the other kind aren't there as well.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Yes, they can be very stealthy, too...but that doesn't mean that the other kind aren't there as well.
Our Game Commission treated me as if I was drinking - I don't drink. I do agree that they have a valid point that, if we do have real cougars, one would end up dead on our busy highways. I was a truck driver before I retired and traveled about 100,000 miles each year. I have seen my share of dead animals on the sides of our roads and never a dead cougar. Of course there is always a chance, that what I thought was a twisted deer carcass, was actually something else.

There are also all of the trail cameras and no current pictures. It did not help the case, to have one or two pictures taken in other states, that some said were taken here.

We also have the chance that one of these creatures were raised in captivity and escaped - instead of migrating into our State. Possibly owners would not be quick to report their missing cat because of liability?

But, then, we still go back to that Connecticut road kill - it had to get to Connecticut someway and PA could have been that way?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,827,500 times
<<But, then, we still go back to that Connecticut road kill - it had to get to Connecticut someway and PA could have been that way?>>
...and we go back to that otherwordly howl/roar/growl in my woods last week....

DH believes the deer last week was taken from behind. Claw marks on the back, apparently.
Bobcats, he found in research, are known for killing by going for the throat.

Now, our problem bear could've snuck up on the deer while it was drinking from the creek. That could happen.
But I don't think it's very likely. Deer can outrun bear, can't they?

Plus, our bear is lazy and used to dining on fine china from our garbage cans and chicken coops. He doesn't even like going IN the woods. He prefers decks. It's also August, when all bears are at their fattest; hardly desperate hungry.

So despite the "if you hear hooves, don't think zebra" cautions we've been getting, there are a lot of factors that do *not* point to bear.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:20 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
<<But, then, we still go back to that Connecticut road kill - it had to get to Connecticut someway and PA could have been that way?>>
...and we go back to that otherwordly howl/roar/growl in my woods last week....

DH believes the deer last week was taken from behind. Claw marks on the back, apparently.
Bobcats, he found in research, are known for killing by going for the throat.

Now, our problem bear could've snuck up on the deer while it was drinking from the creek. That could happen.
But I don't think it's very likely. Deer can outrun bear, can't they?

Plus, our bear is lazy and used to dining on fine china from our garbage cans and chicken coops. He doesn't even like going IN the woods. He prefers decks. It's also August, when all bears are at their fattest; hardly desperate hungry.

So despite the "if you hear hooves, don't think zebra" cautions we've been getting, there are a lot of factors that do *not* point to bear.
IMO:

Bear? Maybe. They will kill and eat deer. They are quick enough in short spurts to catch deer (and people) ...less so over a longer dash. Surprise helps here. Bears have great noses so can find them, they often prey on fawns hiding in fields etc ...and they can find garbage cans and food in the house/garage.

Bobcat? Probably too small to take down and kill a decent sized deer. They usually feed on mice, squirrel, rabbits woodchucks, etc. You said it was a buck (usually bigger). It seems less likely.

Cougar? Maybe. Remember CT incident...and there are other rare reports in PA and nearby states...so never say never. Let us know if you see one. Take a pic if you can.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 PM

7,393 posts, read 9,419,039 times
Both.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 AM

140 posts, read 210,132 times
I had some very knowledgeable people listen to this..and they all said a Cougar -not even knowing any of the options..

Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 AM

151 posts, read 139,643 times
Default ~

Well, ....... we've got an 18 lbs. DSH cat. His name is, 'Bob'; but that doesn't make him a mountain lion! Yes, I've seen bobcats, coyotes (some of them in the 60 lbs. + category); and, for awhile now, we've had a black bear that looks like he's pushing a good 500 lbs. coming through the farm.

As for those (definite) cat-like screams on the audio tape? Well, ....... I've heard many a domestic short hair FERAL cat keep us up at night yowling like that. (Pocono Communities across the, 'Pocono Plateau' are overrun with these poor unfortunate creatures; and this is a principal reason why my wife and I are frequent contributors to Monroe County's AWSOM Animal Shelter, and volunteer for local feral cat rescue work.)

Pennsylvania has: bears, elk, and deer which are - ALL - favorite foods of the mysterious Pocono Abominable Snowman. The local newspapers haven't started reporting on this phenomenon, yet; but, the way things are going, it's only a matter of time before every kid who visits the Poconos will want to have a Pocono Snowman T-shirt for a souvenir to take home with him. (Tourist revenues are gonna skyrocket!)

Camelback Ski Lift Attendant ~

Big Boulder Ski Instructor ~

Old 08-30-2014, 03:00 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,641,873 times
That is really creepy. I've never heard anything like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania