U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,830,824 times

Advertisements

4 a.m. last week. Woke me out of sleep. It came from our property, on Bushkill Creek. This was five acres away from where I was recording it on our deck. It was *loud*
https://soundcloud.com/krensterama/growl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 11:20 AM

9,483 posts, read 10,726,009 times
similar could be the sounds of male deer in rutting season. they can be quite loud...but the pitch is not right, so not sure. it's pretty creepy to hear at 4am.

it doesn't sound like a bear... and you just opened a can o worms... the whole are there cougars in the pocono's debate..

coulda been a squatch...

Old 08-25-2014, 11:43 AM

REALLY creep ;0
This went on for easily 20 minutes. I had to leave to go to work and I was wayy nervous going out to the driveway, even though the noise was abating by then and moving farther away, not closer. I know it was the creek because we could hear splashing/rocks being moved around.

But it's not rutting season, not yet, as I understand it.

And it's apparently too late for bear mating season.
Couple of folks generally in NEPA (but not local to us) have insisted it's a mountain lion/cougar...they claim to have seen one ......

Oh, forgot - when dawn broke, hubs went down to the creek and there was a freshly killed buck there on the rocks at the edge of the creek. Most of the torso eaten, except for the entrail, which were set to the side. Two days later it had been completely cleaned down to the skeleton. I'm told that bears aren't usually fastidious about what they eat, but cats apparently are.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:01 PM

13,199 posts, read 10,601,780 times
Here is a link to an older City-Data thread: Mountain lion/lynx/bobcats in Montour County. If you read that you will see that me and my wife saw one several years ago - that was the only one we ever saw. But; I also have a link in there to one that was hit by a woman driver in Connecticut.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:24 PM

431 posts, read 521,607 times
yetti

Old 08-25-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
yetti
You might be right. It could be one of those clowns that go out and holler all night trying to call one in!

Old 08-26-2014, 05:02 AM

3,844 posts, read 5,110,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
4 a.m. last week. Woke me out of sleep. It came from our property, on Bushkill Creek. This was five acres away from where I was recording it on our deck. It was *loud*
[soundcloud=400]163992361[/soundcloud]

Okay, I've listened to this twice and had hubby listen too. This sounds like a cougar. I've heard a bobcat scream, and while it was enough to keep me on the porch, it wasn't this! A bear will make a grunting noise. I've never heard deer do this, either.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Seriously, keep any pets or children close by. Maybe a camera as well.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 AM

We sent it to a couple of wildlife biologists and they also are thinking cougar.
There are not supposed to be cougars here.
This is brilliant.

Not that I'm happy that we can't enjoy our property without looking over our shoulder -- but I'm very happy that there is a new predator in town for the deer infestation...

Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 AM

6,361 posts, read 7,342,015 times
It wouldn't surprise me if there were Cougars in Pennsylvania. For many, many years, the Michigan DNR refused to acknowledge that Cougars were in Michigan. They always downplayed any reports of Cougars, claiming that people mistook a large house cat or Bobcat for a Cougar...or some other nonsense. They also started saying that any Cougars in Michigan were released pets, not wild-occurring Cougars.

The Michigan Wildlife Conservancy subsequently launched an effort to confirm the presence of Cougars in Michigan. They brought in experts to identify tracks and also did DNA analysis of scat--all confirming Cougars. With the advent of trail-cams there have been several photographs taken of Cougars in recent years, all of them in the Upper Peninsula. One even had a radio collar on--and it was apparently from South Dakota or one of the more western states. I think that may have been the Cougar that ventured to Connecticut and was killed by a car there. (The Cougar killed in Connecticut may have had some other marking that identified it as one photographed in Michigan--I forget--but, in any case, it was confirmed that the Connecticut Cougar had been in Michigan.) Cougars obviously can travel quite a distance.

Last year, we had our first instance of someone being prosecuted for shooting a Cougar. I guess the Michigan DNR finally admits that they are here in Michigan--both in the Upper Peninsula and the northern Lower Peninsula, at least. They are still very rarely seen!

Old 08-26-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if there were Cougars in Pennsylvania. For many, many years, the Michigan DNR refused to acknowledge that Cougars were in Michigan. They always downplayed any reports of Cougars, claiming that people mistook a large house cat or Bobcat for a Cougar...or some other nonsense. They also started saying that any Cougars in Michigan were released pets, not wild-occurring Cougars.

The Michigan Wildlife Conservancy subsequently launched an effort to confirm the presence of Cougars in Michigan. They brought in experts to identify tracks and also did DNA analysis of scat--all confirming Cougars. With the advent of trail-cams there have been several photographs taken of Cougars in recent years, all of them in the Upper Peninsula. One even had a radio collar on--and it was apparently from South Dakota or one of the more western states. I think that may have been the Cougar that ventured to Connecticut and was killed by a car there. (The Cougar killed in Connecticut may have had some other marking that identified it as one photographed in Michigan--I forget--but, in any case, it was confirmed that the Connecticut Cougar had been in Michigan.) Cougars obviously can travel quite a distance.

Last year, we had our first instance of someone being prosecuted for shooting a Cougar. I guess the Michigan DNR finally admits that they are here in Michigan--both in the Upper Peninsula and the northern Lower Peninsula, at least. They are still very rarely seen!
When I called our Game Commission, to report our sighting; I had asked if it was OK to shoot the Cougar the next time I encountered it. I was told that they were endangered and I would be prosecuted. I asked them how the animal could be endangered if it did not exist? Anyway; I promised not to shoot it if I ever saw it again. Our Game Commission would not waste their time to come out and investigate. I never did see it after that one sighting.

What really amazed us, me and my wife, was the speed of the animal. We were chasing it down a dirt road in a pickup truck at 35 mph. Even if a person was armed in the woods; the cat would probably be on you by the time that you realized what was happening.

About the same time that we spotted that lion; we had a logger that spotted a dead deer with it's throat torn out. That was on his trip into our camp property. On his way out the deer was gone.

I am curious if Gettingouttahere noticed if the deer had it's throat torn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania