U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,163 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Winter is coming.....

I searched through the posting about coal/wood stoves - but only saw retail stores mentioned that sell the stoves. I know they won't install what they don't sell of course.

Does anyone know of any good installers? I can get my hands on a stove on my own....

Thank you.

Svence
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM

3,126 posts, read 2,625,178 times
Cozy Hearth in Dickson City (Scranton area) is likely the closest contractor to advertise "installing wood stoves." Cozy Hearth Chimney | Dickson City, PA 18519 - HomeAdvisor

Does your house have an existing chimney? If not, putting in the chimney pipe up to and through the roof for your new stove will entail most of the work and cost. You can also run pipe through a side wall but you'll need a power vent.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:50 PM

37,069 posts, read 38,262,371 times
Honestly there isn't much to installing a coal stove if it's going into a thimble however you should be sure the chimney is in decent shape. The hardest part is getting it to where you want.

Is it a hand fired stove or stoker? Make/model?

In a nutshell for most of them you only need to run the flue pipe.

• Male to female ends of the flue pipe going towards the thimble unless it's wood/coal stove.
  • 3 screws at each joint, they make a sealer if you want to go nuts but most people don't use it.
  • Furnace cement where it goes into thimble.
  • Make sure you support the pipe with a metal strap especially with long runs.
You're going to have to take it apart at the end of every season so you might as well put it together.

Something you might want to consider, T's instead of elbows and cap one end of the T. That will give you easy access to the inside of the flue pipe to check the accumulation of fly ash and clean it out without having to disconnect the whole pipe.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 AM

Hello - thanks for the response. I think I would be getting into a project to do it myself which seems straight forward - but somehow would drag me into something with issues. I would be going up a chimney.

I'm not sure why I would need to take it apart at the end of the season?

The model I am looking at is the DS Machines : DS1400 Circulator with Hopper Model.

Svence

Last edited by svence; 09-01-2014 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svence View Post

I'm not sure why I would need to take it apart at the end of the season?
With coal heat fly ash accumulates in the flue pipes on horizontal runs especially that first elbow going up, it's also going to accumulate in the bottom of your chimney. It's absolutely imperative you clean this out because it will eventually block the flue pipe. How often you need to do this varies by model, flue size etc. Most can go the season, if you add the T's as I suggested you can always easily check how much is in there and easily clean it out mid season.

The fly ash is a very corrosive becsue of the sulfur which is the other reason you need to clean it out. You are going to need to replace the flue pipes every 5 to 10 years, once one of them needs replacing replace them all. It's not a problem when you are running the stove but when you turn it off moisture is going to get in there and that's recipe for instant corrosion. At the end of the season disconnect all the pipes, clean out the ash and use a solution of baking soda and water to clean them. That will neutralize the acids. Store them in the driest spot possible and reconnect when you are going to light it next season. You can do the same thing with the inside of the stove, leave the doors open if possible. Those DS machine stoves are built like tanks and you should get a lifetime of use out of it assuming proper preventive maintenance and it only takes an hour or two each year at the end of the season.

Generally speaking you don't have to worry about the chimney itself, just use a mirror to check it once a year and if you want to be on the safe side get it swept every 5 to 10 years. While on the topic of chimney's if someone tries to sell you a SS liner you want to avoid that. Ideally you want a clay lined chimney, it will last forever with coal. The SS might go 10 years...

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-01-2014 at 09:16 AM..

Old 09-03-2014, 12:50 PM

30 posts, read 51,736 times
The Fireplace Shop located right in Hawley! I always try to keep my business local!

Old 09-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTheLake View Post
The Fireplace Shop located right in Hawley! I always try to keep my business local!

The stores want to sell their stoves - I want to get the model I've identified and installed only......

One installer did stop by - chimney venting - spoke about running a venting pipe from the back up to the chimney top - 'sealing' the opening around the pipe. So - not a complete stainless insert. He was talking in the 1,200 dollar range. I have no basis to compare though.

Svence

Old 09-06-2014, 10:51 AM

Firstly there is two types of SS liner, one is for wood and the more expensive one is for coal. Neither will last and I don't care what guarantees they are giving you or what anyone tells you. At most you can expect 10 years from it if you're lucky. Aslo note that guarantee usually only covers the cost of the material liner.

What you want is clay lined flue (the orange liner). That will last a lifetime if not longer with coal. If you already have a clay lined flue and it's in good shape you already have the best you are going to get. If it needs repair, get it fixed. Don't waste your money with a SS liner, about the only thing they are good for is if the chimney is well beyond repair and/or you plan on moving in a short time. Ultimately it's just a band aid.

I'd suggest reading through this:

Do I need a stainless steel liner for my chimney? - Venting, Plumbing, Chimneys, Controls, Coal Bins

This was supposed to be the better one and after two years, I think in this case it's either defective product or was wrong one:

Old 09-06-2014, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,443 times
United Plumbing and Heating in Hawley sells and installs DS Circulators
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania