U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 5,792 times

Advertisements

Family member will be starting a new job at Wilkes Barre in two weeks. She is looking for safe housing within commuting distance. We know of the Mountain Top Area a little but this does not seem like a good fit for a single young professional. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 02:58 PM

29,620 posts, read 65,657,734 times
Most young single professionals these days (including me, my partner, and all of my friends) want to live near nightlife, cultural amenities, parks, and "the action", so to speak, so, yes, she'd be miserable living in Mountain Top, a community replete with soccer moms, cul-de-sacs, kids, and not much else.

I think Kingston might be a great fit, as would Downtown Wilkes-Barre, assuming she had a bit more confidence living in an urban environment. Kingston is located directly across the Susquehanna River from Downtown Wilkes-Barre, but it has a more residential vibe and generally lower crime. She could potentially even walk to work at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital from Kingston via the Veterans' Memorial Bridge, which means she wouldn't have to worry about paying for parking anywhere or searching for on-street parking everyday.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:52 PM

3,127 posts, read 2,629,593 times
I agree that Kingston would be the best fit. I always recommend Green Acres apartment complex. It's got all of the amenities that you could wish for and it's literally a hop skip and a jump to General Hospital.

Unfortunately, apartments there are hard to come by this time of the year as it is very popular. Craig's list shows quite a few apartments available for rent in the general area, most of which are in converted single family homes. When you see one or more that look interesting, ask about the location on this forum. There are also apartments advertised in the local newspapers and real estate offices usually have rentals available.

Look back through this forum and you will see quite a few threads about finding a place to rent in the greater Wilkes-Barre area. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:55 PM

Thank you both for the info. We went apartment hunting today and have found most units will not become available until mid October/ November. We did check out a few of the places you have mentioned. We did like the Kingston area. Any feeling for Edwardsville or Dallas? Is parking a problem for employees at the hospital? Shift work does not make walking an option.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzNanzee View Post
Thank you both for the info. We went apartment hunting today and have found most units will not become available until mid October/ November. We did check out a few of the places you have mentioned. We did like the Kingston area. Any feeling for Edwardsville or Dallas? Is parking a problem for employees at the hospital? Shift work does not make walking an option.
Edwardsville is definitely a borough that has seen better days. It is home to two (if I'm not mistaken) rather large-sized low-income housing projects, which is a bit jarring for a town with such a small population and square mileage, so some related quality-of-life issues occur. Many of the run-down-looking "miner's houses" in the town either currently house elderly residents or have recently traded hands FROM elderly residents to new owners, in some cases out-of-town slumlords looking to subdivide the houses into duplexes accepting Section 8 vouchers. With that being said there's also a newer "upscale" (relative to the area) housing subdivision right in the center of town, too, while the business district has certainly seen much better times. Housing will be cheap, but when I think of a place in the Wyoming Valley that is conducive to a great environment for a young professional, Edwardsville is definitely not what comes to mind. Granted if we keep steering people away from a place like Edwardsville it may never improve, but as of right now it would be disingenuous of me to tell you it's a nice town, especially after working there during my college years.

Dallas is very similar to Mountain Top, albeit with a larger population and more commercial amenities (surprisingly the Starbucks there failed very quickly, though, as I thought it would do well). There's the main drag (Memorial Highway/State Route 309) that is lined with fast food restaurants, banks, chain drugstores, gas stations, car washes, ice cream parlors, shopping centers, etc., and then there are numerous two-lane roads splitting off of it that are lined with newer upscale housing subdivisions. It's very family-oriented, but it is indeed safe, tranquil, and scenic.

I know Wilkes-Barre General Hospital does have a parking garage. Whether or not employees can park inside of it for free or have to pay to utilize it is something I'm not 100% certain of, though. The county's parking garage near the courthouse (North River & West North) was free as recently as a few years ago. I'm not sure if it still is, nor am I sure if they routinely patrol it to check for violators. The hospital is in a very dense residential neighborhood, so if she couldn't get into the garage then I'm not quite sure where else would be viable that wouldn't be expensive. Parking cost quite a bit when I was a commuter student nearby at King's College.

If you're looking for "safe walkable community for a young professional with an easy commute to Wilkes-Barre General Hospital", then Kingston will be your best bet, followed by Forty Fort. Certain neighborhoods in North Wilkes-Barre, like Parsons and Miners Mills, will also be close. Further upriver, Downtown Pittston has been undergoing a lot of gentrification lately and is becoming more popular with the professional community. It would be roughly a 15-minute drive each way to the hospital at non-peak times. Probably 20-25 at the height of rush-hour.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:26 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,652,644 times
Oh no! Not soccer moms, kids AND cul de sacs! The horror!

OP what else is the relative looking for in a home? There are many towns around the area but some more information would help us help you find the best fit.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:49 AM

She is starting work on Monday but has a friend in Scranton with whom she will be staying for a few weeks until we sort out this housing dilemma. She is in her mid 20's and will be working at Wilkes Barre General Hospital. She prefers off street parking, and on site or in unit laundry facilities. We liked the Kingston area but found the apartments there are not so nice. Single family homes are out of her budget. Oddly enough, she did like the Dallas area. Any other areas that she should consider? Health clubs, food shopping and some pubs or eateries would be nice. She prefers the open spaces and out door activities over urban living.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
She prefers the open spaces and out door activities over urban living.
Ahhh.

In that case Dallas would be a great fit for her if she values more elbow room and breathing room over proximity to work. Then again it's mostly single-family detached homes and not a lot of rental communities.

She could try Newberry Estates.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
She is starting work on Monday but has a friend in Scranton with whom she will be staying for a few weeks until we sort out this housing dilemma. She is in her mid 20's and will be working at Wilkes Barre General Hospital. She prefers off street parking, and on site or in unit laundry facilities. We liked the Kingston area but found the apartments there are not so nice. Single family homes are out of her budget. Oddly enough, she did like the Dallas area. Any other areas that she should consider? Health clubs, food shopping and some pubs or eateries would be nice. She prefers the open spaces and out door activities over urban living.
How about Luzerne? Do you know her budget for rent and utilities?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Check out postlets.com and hotspots.com for rentals in the area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania