U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 07:33 PM

11 posts, read 11,304 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I'm 26, wife is 24 and kid is 2. We are young family that is looking for a peaceful place nears outdoor amenities to move. Both me and wife grew up in Brooklyn, I moved though mid-west and south due to military before coming back to NYC for school. Have not been happy since the move.

My current company has offices in Whitehall, Allentown, Scranton and then subcontractors throughout PA so employment wouldn't be hard to come by.

I done a little research, but still looking for suggestions.

No to low crime
Good school
Decent real estate
My son needs Early Intervention program, so county that offers that (he was deaf till recently so he needs speech therapy)
Decent gun laws (I do like my guns and love going to ranges)

I am familiar with Easton, Mount Pocono, Pocono Summit and Tobyhanna as far as PA goes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 PM

191 posts, read 249,365 times
I would check out the areas in cresco and cannadensis.Lots of open land and places to be left alone with nature.Also the poconos has tons on outdoor fun, ski slopes, hiking, camping, deleware rafting,If you want some deep woods to do some hunting or shooting,this is the place.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:36 PM

13,206 posts, read 10,607,078 times
Here is a link to our Lehigh Valley forum "sticky" that our moderator put together: Help for new and potential residents. I wished that we had this information on the Northeastern PA forum. But; we are only allowed 2 stickys - we have the photo and chat stickys. There is a lot of information on that link and the links, that it provides, should also help you.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:47 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,342,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt3d View Post
AFAIK other than Philly which does not allow open carry the gun laws are the same throughout the state. The gun laws in PA are very relaxed an easily one of the better states in the nation to live if you're pro gun. Buying a gun is a simple process with a background check while you wait that takes 5 minutes, concealed carry permits are easy to obtain in most places and if you can even posses automatic weapons if you have the cash.

1776 version of the PA Constitution which predates the US Constitution:

Quote:
That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state; and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; And that the military should be kept under strict subordination, to, and governed by, the civil power.
Current version from 1790:

Quote:
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
As you can see that is about as rock solid as it gets. .

Old 09-12-2014, 06:22 PM

3,050 posts, read 2,515,976 times
How much are you looking to spend for a house? The Abingtons are close to Scranton but Newton and Ransom are more rural and can offer you what you want in that respect. Housing prices are fairly high there, however. If you want to go a little further out, the Lackawanna Trail School District area is rural yet 15-20 minutes from Scranton, depending on where you live, and has very small class sizes. I'm not sure about early intervention but you might be able to research that online.

ETA: it's Wyoming County.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:04 PM

11 posts, read 11,304 times
Thank you for the replies.

I am looking for a house up to 200k, is affordable for me. I don't need nothing fancy, 2-3 bed rooms, kitchen with dinning, small yard and a place to park 2 cars.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:58 AM

1,358 posts, read 2,068,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt3d View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm 26, wife is 24 and kid is 2. We are young family that is looking for a peaceful place nears outdoor amenities to move. Both me and wife grew up in Brooklyn, I moved though mid-west and south due to military before coming back to NYC for school. Have not been happy since the move.

My current company has offices in Whitehall, Allentown, Scranton and then subcontractors throughout PA so employment wouldn't be hard to come by.

I done a little research, but still looking for suggestions.

No to low crime
Good school
Decent real estate
My son needs Early Intervention program, so county that offers that (he was deaf till recently so he needs speech therapy)

I am familiar with Easton, Mount Pocono, Pocono Summit and Tobyhanna as far as PA goes.
No to low crime?? You prefer high instead?? Not sure what you meant by this....

Good school = Pleasant Valley school district is among the best but that's down here in the Brodheadsville area which is around 25 mins south of the Poconos and has all types of businesses for shopping, etc.,

Decent real estate = as in?? size?? taxes?? Monroe County, depending on the area, can be pricey....research research research....if you send me a direct message I can recommend an agent....she is an ex-Staten Islander living out here for several years now and has thorough knowledge of the area....

Decent gun laws = that's already been answered so I won't touch that one....

If you want to stay up north then I would recommend the Lake Wallenpaupack area....you'll love it up there and still be close to everything for shopping, dining, etc.,

I HIGHLY recommend a 4X4 vehicle if you haven't gotten one already....winters up here depending on location can be brutal and a Ford Focus, for example, ain't gonna cut it!! Need more info look up the moderator info that was shared a couple of posts back or just send me a DM and I'll provide you with honest feedback...I've been coming up here since '96 and living out here since 2007....also I'm ex-Navy...you might also look into getting your home via the VA like I did....great time-saver and no money down on our part!! Can't beat that!! Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or