U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:05 AM

693 posts, read 747,794 times

Advertisements

I want some of these conspiracy people to go out in the woods with a friend and measure out 100 yards. Stand back that 100 yards and have the friend turn their back and run away. See if you can catch them. It would be difficult. And that does not even take into consideration chasing someone that has allegedly already killed a Trooper and could be ready to snipe at any turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 08:06 AM

13,206 posts, read 10,607,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You'd be surprised. A number of years ago, my husband--and other volunteers--spent most of a night helping the police comb a section of woods looking for a lost eight year old boy. It wasn't a large area and was surrounded by a lake on one side and housing developments on the other three. They didn't find him that night. He wandered out of the woods in the morning. If the police, hunters, military and retired can't find a little kid in the woods who wants to be found, I'm not willing to blame the LEOs for not finding Frein.
If you go into one of our huckleberry swamps or old homesteads covered in green and red briars; short distances are almost impossible to cover. The briars take a toll on your body. You can fester for weeks and months from the scratches and thorns. Especially if you do not have protective clothing. Not having protective glasses/goggles could cost you an eye. Any person hiding does not have the distance to travel, in inhospitable territory, as the searchers. Many of these territories you have to crawl through - you cannot walk through.

I still have problems with police logistics not being able tighten the noose. But; maybe they did and just have not left the public know more details?

Old 10-04-2014, 08:41 AM

22 posts, read 28,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
I want some of these conspiracy people to go out in the woods with a friend and measure out 100 yards. Stand back that 100 yards and have the friend turn their back and run away. See if you can catch them. It would be difficult. And that does not even take into consideration chasing someone that has allegedly already killed a Trooper and could be ready to snipe at any turn.
First, if it was 1 on 1 I could kind of go with your example, however it is hardly 1 on 1. Secondly, I dont believe these "qualified sightings" have been made by police. Never heard that said. I know the last sighting was called in by a local resident.

Last edited by Theinternet; 10-04-2014 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-04-2014, 01:23 PM

316 posts, read 303,175 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised. A number of years ago, my husband--and other volunteers--spent most of a night helping the police comb a section of woods looking for a lost eight year old boy. It wasn't a large area and was surrounded by a lake on one side and housing developments on the other three. They didn't find him that night. He wandered out of the woods in the morning. If the police, hunters, military and retired can't find a little kid in the woods who wants to be found, I'm not willing to blame the LEOs for not finding Frein.
You're talking about a search party for a little boy for one night. This is going on a month, and it's not a search party. It's a manhunt for a cop killer staffed with over 1,000 law enforcement officers from various state and federal agencies.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:37 PM

151 posts, read 139,849 times
We were in the search area yesterday afternoon. My neighbor has been working there for the past month. It's, unquestionably, rough ground that can be very difficult to traverse for BOTH the hunters, and the hunted.

The area is, indeed, remote. Just a few miles in off Route 447 and you've reentered the Poconos I remember from 60 some odd years ago when I was a boy. There's plenty of water; and it appeared the one state police search team we saw was, indeed, tracking a waterway. The ground in many places is wet with bogs, swamps, tangles of brush, and low growing bushes all over the place. In many places the terrain we saw was dotted with rocky outcroppings, and blueberry bogs. It was obvious that men and dogs would face tough going through such wet swampy terrain.

Besides if Frein is the survivalist they say he is then he already knows how to throw even the best of scent dogs off his trail; and, in that terrain, the only dogs that stand a chance of closing in on him are sight hounds; so in order to catch him Frein would have to be momentarily visible and exposed to rifle fire. Personally, I don't think that's likely to happen.

Is Eric hiding somewhere in those high swamps? I don't know; but, I'm inclined to think not. Did he traverse more than 5 miles of broken, uneven, and tortuous ground in less than 7 hours, and in the dark? Even with a good pair of boots and an intimate knowledge of the terrain THAT would have been a feat worthy of some sort of mythical, 'Rambo'!

(Lewis and Clark couldn't have done it! Heck, in my best day, I couldn't have done it; and I've got more than 40 years of backwoods hunting and camping experience to rely on.)

If - and that's a big if - Frein is in there then he's on the verge of some pretty rough weather. The temperature is dropping; and the Fall showers are starting to arrive. In another two weeks the heavy leaf cover is going to be almost gone; and sleeping outdoors is going to be no fun - Depending upon his equipment, maybe, even miserable.

His food will be all but run out; his Latvian cigarettes are, probably, already gone; and it's going to be, 'crunch time' for Eric Frein. So far Frein has stayed away from other people and their homes; however, with each passing day the prospect of some local homeowner(s) coming face-to-face with Frein grows more and more likely.

If, in fact, Frein is in there - A theory which I continue to doubt - one old rifle, a soiled adult diaper, (Which he didn't need to use.) a handful of crude, fuse-ignited, pipe bombs, and some rudimentary camping equipment are not positive proof that Eric Frein is actually anywhere nearby.

About the only thing all of this uncertainty does for me is make me glad that I don't live in the heart of the search area. So, yes, we are still sleeping fairly peacefully at night. All of which has been, 'cold shrift' this afternoon because, so far, two police vehicles have rushed down our road with their roof lights flashing and sirens blaring.

Two days ago we had a reported sighting of a, 'hunter' who refused to come when he was called. The landowner immediately reported the contact; and, in a matter of minutes, we had local and state police all over the road. (They apprehended the hunter; and he was just that: A hunter! He'd been scouting territory for the opening of bow and arrow deer season on this coming Monday.)

If he is around here then Frein is running out of: time, territory, and options. He's going to have to come back to, 'civilization' soon; and contact of some sort is presently imminent; (or, in the alternative, he might already be in Idaho.)

Last edited by Delaware Davy; 10-04-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 02:44 PM

22 posts, read 28,835 times
I concur with all of above and also highly doubt that he is in fact there. The diapers supposedly have been proven to be soiled with baby waste, and the sightings have been by private citizens calling in unknowns. As someone who has spent half a century in the woods of NEPA, I know there is any amount of "strange" artifacts out there that one could come across and decipher as "evidence".

Last edited by Theinternet; 10-04-2014 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: punc.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Davy View Post
We were in the search area yesterday afternoon. My neighbor has been working there for the past month. It's, unquestionably, rough ground that can be very difficult to traverse for BOTH the hunters, and the hunted.
Even that red brush can take a toll on stamina - and that is not thick compared to some of our underbrush. Deer can lie in red brush and not move and, to the hunters, they are almost invisible. Of course the police have the technology that could spot body heat in the brush - but it seems like it has not worked the way they planned?

Tonight and tomorrow night's temperatures are supposed to go into the high 30's. If your wet and have no cover or fire; that is pretty miserable. Even though it dried out today; one on the run could still get wet or have wet shoes/boots. It is also more humid than it has been for sometime - which makes it feel colder. That said Frien could easily steal a tarp and make a quick shelter to trap body heat. Even a pile of leaves can do that if you don't mind the tics.

Yes; when the leaves come off the trees it will be easier to spot anything moving in our woods. Then, once the first snow falls, nothing can move without being tracked. The clock is ticking for Frein - if he is still in the area.

By the way, even if that rifle is old; doesn't mean that it can't shoot. I have some pretty straight shooting old rifles. Besides a .308 is a respectable round and is very lethal. Maybe Frien had to abandon 90 rounds to the police as they closed in - but I am sure he still has at least one clip left. It doesn't make him less dangerous. All it means is that he could run out of ammunition in a prolonged gun battle.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:31 AM

22,761 posts, read 21,813,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksburgh View Post
You're talking about a search party for a little boy for one night. This is going on a month, and it's not a search party. It's a manhunt for a cop killer staffed with over 1,000 law enforcement officers from various state and federal agencies.
I understand what you're saying, but one thousand officers are not walking through the woods daily. My comment was prompted by Fisheye's comment about the Vietnam Veteran finding the car.

What happened to D. B. Cooper?

Old 10-05-2014, 10:00 AM

151 posts, read 139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theinternet View Post
I concur with all of above and also highly doubt that he is in fact there. The diapers supposedly have been proven to be soiled with baby waste, and the sightings have been by private citizens calling in unknowns. As someone who has spent half a century in the woods of NEPA, I know there is any amount of "strange" artifacts out there that one could come across and decipher as "evidence".
Exactly!

NOTE: That found rifle is an old beat-up AK-47, 'WASR-10'. The caliber would be 7.62 x 39mm. Not the 308 Remington that was used in the barracks attack; and, interestingly, no mention has been made of finding any 7.62 x 39mm ammo to go along with it.

I've, also, got 'a wonder: Who leaves an uncased, unprotected rifle out in the woods, in plain sight, for someone else to find? Over and over again this continues to be one very strange manhunt.

Last edited by Delaware Davy; 10-05-2014 at 10:11 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
What happened to D. B. Cooper?
Don't forget that that search area was considerably larger than the one for Frein, They still have never had any positive identification on D. B. Cooper. The search area was much larger than with Frein. The plane was flying at 120 mph for two hours before it landed. Cooper could have jumped at any time - although most believe that he jumped at 8:13 when the pilots had to trim the airplane. The authorities did not have the technology we have today = no infrared/hi-tech stuff.

With Frein they had a starting point of where the crime was committed. They supposedly have sightings - although I do not know how much the large rewards distorts those sightings? People are more than willing to help both for financial gain and because they want to help the police.

Whether it was the search for Cooper or Frein; they do not want to fail. Cooper basically became a folk hero - they do not want that to happen with Frein. Although Frein is guilty of killing a police officer and Copper 'only' stole corporate money. We like good endings to these cases - catch the bad guy and they spend the rest of their lives in jail or face the death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania