U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 07:39 AM

3,676 posts, read 3,256,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I already mentioned my friends and I used to hike at night. He had almost a full moon. It's not that hard especially if you know the terrain.
Just a WAG but personally I think he's using night vision goggles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 08:00 AM

13,150 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Just a WAG but personally I think he's using night vision goggles.
I don't think the batteries last this long. He would need many batteries or a place to recharge what he had. When I went out for any night infiltration games in the Army; they made us stand/sit in the dark for half an hour before we went on our nighttime mission. The idea is that it takes time for your eyes to really adjust to the point where you have the best nighttime vision. It is also one of the reasons that I have fought against digital billboards - it takes time for your eyes to readjust. Of course Frein is outside all the time as the sun goes down and his eyes are naturally adjusting to limited light.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:50 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,129,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
.... but it does seem strange a dog couldn't find him if the trail is recent. ?
I was wondering the same thing. Why not turn the hounds lose on him, unless at this point they feel absolutely confident that it is just a matter of time and he will surrender and it is not worth having a dog or two shot just to hasten the capture along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I'm not a hunter but I would suggest "orange is the new camo" this season, at least in certain areas.
There won't be ANY hunters allowed into that area this season. You can be sure of that. Until Frein is captured, those woods are off limits. Although I do believe that the extra "eyes" probably wouldn't hurt, but for a variety of reasons, there will no hunting in that area. Having random people wandering around just confuses things, and increases the likelihood that another person gets shot...by either side.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:28 PM

22 posts, read 28,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Why not turn the hounds lose on him, unless at this point they feel absolutely confident that it is just a matter of time and he will surrender and it is not worth having a dog or two shot just to hasten the capture along.

There won't be ANY hunters allowed into that area this season. You can be sure of that. Until Frein is captured, those woods are off limits. Although I do believe that the extra "eyes" probably wouldn't hurt, but for a variety of reasons, there will no hunting in that area. Having random people wandering around just confuses things, and increases the likelihood that another person gets shot...by either side.
Incorrect. Game Commission warns hunters - News - Citizens' Voice

Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 PM

2,537 posts, read 2,200,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I find this case interesting, but perplexing as well & I'm also confused about the hounds. I recall reading this last weekend that police have released bloodhounds who have found him more than once & startled him from his hiding area, but each time he was able to escape before the police arrived. (Also see the quote below from today.) What are the dogs trained to do exactly? Track & then to hold a man down or just to alert the police? Once the dogs found him, wouldn't they be able to circle him or follow him to where ever he escaped to? I can't picture someone outrunning or hiding from a pack of dogs. Maybe he killed the dogs or maybe the police aren't revealing the true story because it's tough to imagine that he can escape dogs.

Quote:
Dogs flushed Frein from a hiding place one evening, Bivens said, but he was able to escape deeper into the woods as darkness fell. Eric Frein Manhunt Slowed by Explosives - ABC News

Old 09-30-2014, 03:16 PM

525 posts, read 876,559 times
Just saw this in the news:
Police confirm they found two bombs left by Frein

Old 09-30-2014, 03:53 PM

What I find interesting is that Eric called his home very close to the hunting camp I belong to - probably less than one mile away; maybe less than half a mile away. There is a very good chance that he crossed our land.

Like I have said before; there is very treacherous territory in that vicinity. You have some quick mud and floating vegetation on deep swamps. You have snakes, plenty of tics, mosquitoes, briars, thick huckleberries, and other impairments to just hiking. There are places to hide that are dangerous to search or hide in - it all depends on how much resolve you have.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:41 AM

22 posts, read 28,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theinternet View Post
I stand corrected. Hunting banned in manhunt search areas - News - Citizens' Voice

Old 10-01-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theinternet View Post
My feeling is that ban will not last too long. Here is a quote from your link in the Citizens' Voice:"Hunting and trapping is prohibited until further notice on all public and private lands in Blooming Grove, Porter, Lehman and Greene townships in Pike County and Barrett, Price and Paradise townships in Monroe County." That is a very large territory. Remember how the authorities told us that they had him contained. This basically tells us that they have no idea where he is.

There are other reasons why I don't think this is a great idea. One of the largest and richest hunting lands in our Nation is located in this search area - many wealthy lawyers and professionals are members. All of the territory is prime hunting and some people have planned their vacations around their favorite sport. It also looks as if our government, that offered the $175,000 reward, only wants government employees in the area.

That said; they would take the heat if some hunter is killed by Frein. They are caught between a rock and a hard place.

I still think that hunters could be the key to locating Frein. Many have great outdoors skills and are willing to sit motionless for hours on end. They could be the ones that make the 911 call or text message that ends this standoff. I keep going back to the fact that a former Vietnam vet was the one that spotted the abandoned Jeep and got this investigation going. I only give our police a 50/50 chance of locating Frein without further public help.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:15 PM

2,537 posts, read 2,200,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I still think that hunters could be the key to locating Frein. I only give our police a 50/50 chance of locating Frein without further public help.
Good point.
Remember it was someone from the public who found the Boston bomber when the police were unable to find him. I remember listening to the event on scanners & police claiming/thinking they had him at various points. The police lifted the public lockdown and a man outside the police force noticed that the cover on his boat wasn't in order & now that he was allowed to leave his home, he investigated his boat & found Tsarnaev & notified police. I wonder how long that search would have went if the public lockdown remained in effect for a longer time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania