Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 PM

17 posts, read 38,187 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've just returned from a visit to NEPA and am facing the possibility of relocating from the Baltimore area. While out there, I fell in love with a home in Kingston, and really liked the look of the area. I have 2 children - a 5 year old daughter with autism (who I am planning to homeschool for an indefinite time) and a 2 year old son. It seems like a child friendly place, but is it good for adults? Will I like my neighbors, any restaurants, events? Could someone tell me more about Kingston? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 07:51 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemilman View Post
Hi all, I've just returned from a visit to NEPA and am facing the possibility of relocating from the Baltimore area. While out there, I fell in love with a home in Kingston, and really liked the look of the area. I have 2 children - a 5 year old daughter with autism (who I am planning to homeschool for an indefinite time) and a 2 year old son. It seems like a child friendly place, but is it good for adults? Will I like my neighbors, any restaurants, events? Could someone tell me more about Kingston? thanks!
I was born and grew up in Kingston. Lived there for 37 years before moving away to Pittsburgh 21 years ago. I still have family & friends in Kingston and return several times a year. It's still a very nice town, generally well kept and some of the older classic homes in the area are absolutely gorgeous (James St, Reynolds St, Butler St, etc).

Although it's hard to advise anyone on whether or not they'll like their neighbors since everybody's personality & temperament is different, odds are that you will find nice neighbors in Kingston.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 PM

115 posts, read 273,620 times
Kingston is a great town, just stay away from the part that borders Edwardsville.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:50 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I live in Forty Fort, which is on the border of Kingston. I've been here for 37 years. It's a decent place to live. Everything I told you in the "Fracking" thread that you started applies to Kingston.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemilman View Post
I happen to love Kingston. I think it lacks for nothing or very little. Kingston is sophisticated and welcoming to new comers.

Good for adults? I LOVE this question! So many people focus exclusively on their children, I think outer ring suburbs are filled with such folks. I am not one of them. I care deeply for my children - fiercely might even be a better word, however, I also enjoy a full social life that does not always include children and child centered activities.

For adults, Kingston has much to offer. Beautiful tree lined streets with a fantastic stock of older homes that are less expensive than anyplace on this level on the East Coast, North East, Middle Atlantic.

Like to shop? You will LOVE Kingston! Trendy boutiques abound - just a few Shooze, Tallulah, Bratty Natty, - upscale cutting edge fashion, as well as the ever dependable Talbots, for more traditional wardrobe staples.

Aura, my hairdresser is in Kingston, as is Thrive, a day spa message place, and Woodhouse another day spa. Both good.

Restaurants that are trendy and great for date nights include The Bistro, on Wyoming Ave., and Vanderlyn's (239 Schuyler Ave) are two good ones!

The Bakehouse is a popular spot for Bagels and the like. I am fairly sur that everything is made on premiss.

Trendy and up-scale home decor is the specialty of Mattern's. Love that shop!

No shortage of family restaurants either - Chinese - Japanese - Beijing
Ollies, family fare.

Another wonderful benefit of Kingston is the free first year gym membership in the local gym for all new home owners.

There are a few adorable children's clothes boutiques - alas, I have teens so the names escape me. Imported shoes and the like.

Wonderful library, and a diverse group of houses of worship - Methodist, Reform Jewish, Episcopalian, Evangelical, Pentecostal and Presbyterian and Lutheran.

Not sure how Wyoming Valley West is for Special Ed, but unless you are totally dedicated to home schooling, I'd look into it.

WVW schools are fine in Kingston through middle school. By HS, who knows? But that's a long way off.

There are also a selection of private and Parochial Schools in Kingston, Wyoming Seminary, (K-12) a Montessori School (can't think of the name) that goes up to grade eight, and Good Shepherd Academy.
You are also close to Wilkes-Barre where you will find Wilkes-Barre Academy, and Holy Redeemer HS, where my children attend, although we are not Roman Catholic.

Kingston is a great inner ring suburb, where there is something for everyone. In short YES! It's wonderful for adults!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 AM

Hi Theatergypsy, thanks for this very thorough reply! The house I adore is one of the older, well maintained gems on Butler st. Things are in the beginning stages still but I wished I could have bid on the house right there! I couldn't believe the "bang for the buck" factor. It would have cost twice as much here in Maryland, or in RI, where I'm from.

I am not too concerned about special ed schools for my daughter, but I am interested in some other opportunities for her. Do you know if there are community gardens somewhere close by? Where can people buy good fresh produce, milk, and meat? You've been so helpful - if I move out there, perhaps we can meet up

Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
If I was to move to the W-B area, Kingston is probably where I would look to move....just across the river from downtown W-B, without actually being in W-B. I have kids, so I wouldn't want them in Wilkes-Barre schools, what with racial tensions and machete attacks.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Kingston public schools (and especially Kingston High School) were without doubt the best public school system in NEPA. Unfortunately, it was merged out of existence in 1967. Wyoming Valley West, its successor, doesn't measure up. Kingston is also the home of Wyoming Seminary, one of the nation's leading private schools. With a surgeon's earnings, paying your kids' tuition there wouldn't be a burden.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 AM

ahhh....machete attacks? Explanation please! My intention is to homeschool my daughter for an indefinite period while we work on some parent driven therapies. I would need to find a preschool for my very social son. Any experience with the JCC over the river? How about Kingston preschools? I don't get terribly concerned about school stats. Schools don't have to rank nationally; as long as there are no machetes :0 and no similarities to the rigid Catholic elementary I attended in Rhode Island, we're fine .

Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 AM

Thanks to theatergypsy, yes, but I meant to thank Sheena12 for her long response. In the word of Rick Perry, Oops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania