U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,121 times

Advertisements

We currently live in northern Indiana. We are older folks who are looking for a safe, quiet NEPA, area to retire in, near shopping like Walmart, the mall, Lowes, chick-fil-a, lowes, etc. Would like a newer ranch house, not in the older city, but not to far from shopping. In between Carbondale and Scranton area. Not crazy over hoa's if possible to get a nice house without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 AM

29,626 posts, read 65,694,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone1945 View Post
We currently live in northern Indiana. We are older folks who are looking for a safe, quiet NEPA, area to retire in, near shopping like Walmart, the mall, Lowes, chick-fil-a, lowes, etc. Would like a newer ranch house, not in the older city, but not to far from shopping. In between Carbondale and Scranton area. Not crazy over hoa's if possible to get a nice house without it.
The area in the direct line between Scranton and Carbondale is called the "Mid-Valley" of Lackawanna County. Most of those smaller towns (population around 3,000-6,000 or so) in the Mid-Valley are established older communities with generally older housing stock, and the newer housing is nearly exclusively located in newer subdivisions/developments (most of which don't have HOAs, though, for what it's worth).

For what you're looking for, the first municipality that comes to mind is Scott Township (18433/18447). It occupies the countryside between the Abingtons and Mid-Valley and is in and around communities like Chapman Lake, Justus, and Montdale. Zip code 18447 is also shared with the older community of Olyphant. 18433 is slightly north and is shared with the older towns of Mayfield and Jermyn.

http://www.scotttownship.org/AboutUs/AboutUs.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_...,_Pennsylvania

Maiolatesi's Winery is located in Scott Township, and it's a great place with great scenery if you envision yourselves sitting outdoors and enjoying the country views and inhaling the fresh mountain air while sipping some great vino!

Maiolatesi Wine Cellars | PA Winery | PA Wine | PA Wine Spirits | Pennsylvania Winery

I'm assuming since you're older you'll want a relatively smaller, low-maintenance ranch-styled home (you may call them "ramblers" in the Midwest). "Newer" is relative in NEPA, so I'll include the 1970s era on forward. Here are some home listings that may pique your interest:

3-BR, 2.5 BA; 1,800 square feet, built in 1985, about 1.5 acres of land.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...93-26212?row=6

^ I think this one is a tad overpriced at $250,000 since it looks like the interior needs to be updated. You could probably get it for ~$225,000.

3-BR, 2 BA; 2,600 square feet, built in 1965 (older), about 1.75 acres of land.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0-87247?row=12

^ Reasonably-priced.

3-BR, 1.5 BA; 1,600 square feet, built in 1980, about 1.4 acres of land.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2-91674?row=17

^ Reasonably priced. Very easy drive to either I-81 or Business Route 6.

3-BR, 1 BA, 1,008 square feet (small), built in 1992, about 2 acres of land (huge lot)

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5-34397?row=23

^ Reasonably-priced, given the large amount of land.

3-BR, 2 BA, 1,170 square feet (small), built in 1991, 1/2 acre of land

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8-91795?row=24

^ Cheap. Furthest out location of all the ranch homes I found for you in Scott Township, though.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:39 AM

1,689 posts, read 3,108,758 times
If you don't mind a half hour drive down route 6 I would suggest going a little further east or west. West is like Meshoppen or a little farther yet is Wyalusing but it is worth the drive for the beauty and peaceful nature of the area if you choose your house wisely. To the east I would suggest Waymart or some other similar area in Wayne County. Staying right in between Scranton and Carbondale if pretty built up and congested at times. You would have to travel into Dickson City to do your shopping but the area is loaded with just about every store you would want.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:55 PM

53 posts, read 54,159 times
If you don't like winter driving much you might be happier in one of the valley towns, definitely easier driving during the winter. All the towns from Mayfield to Dickson City still seem pretty quiet to me but I don't live there. I have relatives in Mayfield who built a house there several years ago. Newer houses are mostly up on the hill there. My bank and post office are in Jermyn, so I go there a lot.(during the daytime) There are newer houses there and in every town down to Dickson City has some newer houses. Lots going in now off the road from Jermyn to Eynon. I often choose to drive to Lowes through the valley rather than Business rt.6, I don't find there to be much traffic that way. There's some congestion at the intersection with 81 and Viewmont drive and Main st. But I don't think it's all that bad. Quinn's and Giant grocery store, Dunkin Donuts are along the way on Main st.

Edit: btw there is no chick-fil-a that I'm aware of.

Last edited by F.Jenco; 09-25-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 10:06 AM

151 posts, read 139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
....... Maiolatesi's Winery is located in Scott Township, and it's a great place with great scenery if you envision yourselves sitting outdoors and enjoying the country views and inhaling the fresh mountain air while sipping some great vino!
I'm sitting here trying to envision ANY PART of the Wyoming Valley with, 'fresh mountain air', no traffic congestion, no garbage, and no buried industrial (toxic) waste. I'm cogitating! I'm trying; ....... I'm trying! ....... Nope, nothing!

Somebody tell this person about Dallas and the Back Mountain area. Staying fairly close to either Route 309 or 118 should help to get these people where they really want to go.

Back Mountain, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-26-2014, 11:05 AM

53 posts, read 54,159 times
Saw this one today as I drove from Archbald to Jermyn, not far from the Woodlands in Jermyn, well not far from the trailer park in Jermyn too. Don't know anything else about it just for reference...
204 South Wasington Avenue, Jermyn, PA 18433 - MLS# 14-4619 | ERA One Source Realty

Old 09-26-2014, 12:30 PM

29,626 posts, read 65,694,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Davy View Post
I'm sitting here trying to envision ANY PART of the Wyoming Valley with, 'fresh mountain air', no traffic congestion, no garbage, and no buried industrial (toxic) waste. I'm cogitating! I'm trying; ....... I'm trying! ....... Nope, nothing!

Somebody tell this person about Dallas and the Back Mountain area. Staying fairly close to either Route 309 or 118 should help to get these people where they really want to go.

Back Mountain, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chronic negativity isn't going to solve anything. I moved out of NEPA simply because it was generally hostile towards the LGBT community due to low levels of educational attainment and strong Christian roots---not because it was a horrible place in general.

How is the Back Mountain anywhere near the corridor between Scranton and Carbondale? Are you even familiar with the geography of NEPA?

Old 09-26-2014, 02:37 PM

151 posts, read 139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Chronic negativity isn't going to solve anything. I moved out of NEPA simply because it was generally hostile towards the LGBT community due to low levels of educational attainment and strong Christian roots---not because it was a horrible place in general.

How is the Back Mountain anywhere near the corridor between Scranton and Carbondale? Are you even familiar with the geography of NEPA?
Who's chronically negative? Do you really believe that you are, or were, one of the few well-educated people in NEPA? If you do then you, seriously, need to get out more. Pennsylvanians in general have spent tens of millions of dollars, and continue to spend tens of millions of dollars, on modern schools, and college campuses.

(Of which: Lackawanna, Luzerne, Wayne, Pike, and Monroe counties have many outstanding institutions! Look at just: Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, East Stroudsburg, and Hazleton. In large part these are, 'college towns'.)

Why limit these people to only what you think? I've lived here for almost two decades, now; and I spend a lot of time in: Lackawanna, Luzerne, and Wayne counties. Interstate Route 81, and State Route 6 tie each of these areas nicely together. In fact I've often driven the entire length between Carbondale and Wilkes Barre in about 30 minutes.

Please, you need to keep a more open mind. In the same way that you expect other people to keep an open mind towards you, you need to show the same broadmindedness towards others. You would provide only the information that's been asked for. After 30 years in the real estate profession (as an award winning broker) I understand, apparently much better than you do, that buyers only rarely enunciate what it is that they really want.

A skillful Realtor needs to know how to help people find what they want by, almost, tapping into their subconscious, and asking them to consider more than only what they think or say they want. Let me tell you: I lost many a sale by doing what you're doing! The whole home selection process is, something of, a voyage of discovery for everyone; and it should be treated that way, too.

(You know: Kind'a like exploring your own sexual proclivities. Understand?)

Old 10-22-2014, 04:24 PM

5 posts, read 5,566 times
Ever consider going up north a wee bit more. Montrose pa is a very nice small town and so are the other towns in the surrounding area like brackney, silver lake, Springville. Montrose is roughly 35mi from Dickson city just hop on 706 and catch I 81s and Binghamton ny is about 25mi away just take 29n to I 81n. Montrose is full of retired people. Its a nice town with lots of old style Victorian houses with plenty of modern homes too. THe people are really nice and welcoming. Price chopper is the main grocery store with a few mom and pop ones also. Brand new state of the art hospital was just built. Consider checking Montrose out when you visit the area I promise you wont be disappointed Montrose, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.therosemontinnbb.com/asse.../main_view.jpg http://cass-montrose.org/images/old/...bldg%20big.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._building).jpg

some pics of the older houses.

EDIT links didn't work but type in Montrose pa in google and you'll see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania