U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:59 AM

164 posts, read 242,462 times
I don't live in South Side ... but when visiting friend in Minooka on a hot summer day ... I asked what the smell was and was told that it was the sewage plant ... I guess it could be the river ... accompanied by a breeze as it was at it's smelly finest when there was a breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 07:03 AM

26,044 posts, read 45,074,088 times
To be fair my neighborhood smells badly too in the summer, and that's due to a toxic mix of diesel exhaust fumes from the nearby truck stop and from I-81, I-476, the 315. BLECH! I fondly recall one day last summer when I went for a run and ended up coughing so hard that I threw up my Propel all over the pavement. I complain about our smog problems here near Pittston, yet their answer is to plan for MORE sprawl without addressing existing quality-of-life issues. Wonderful!

Old 12-28-2007, 07:17 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,173,131 times
Every now and then the stench kicks up. It's not as bad as it was 20, even 10, years ago, but it's there once in a while. I noticed it only a handful of times the last season there (what was that, 2006?) That was one of the joys of summer ball, trying to decide if it was the other team or the river that stunk so bad. I probably just got used to it and never gave it much thought.

Maybe it is/was the treatment plant a little, but the stock comment in the summer was a sarcastic "river smells great tonight!". Combined with the fact that the plant was downstream from the Complex and the fact that, like I said, it wasn't a constant aroma, I have a hard time blaming the SSA exclusively. I'm not suprised that some knees are jerking, though.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:36 AM

3,234 posts, read 4,219,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Then move.
I want to. Just waiting to get more money saved.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:50 AM

Nah. Get out now while you can. The you might take a financial hit now, but that'll only be in the short term. A lot better than having to deal with the incompetent administration, crippling taxes, toxic air pollution, no jobs, crappy parks, no trees, high gas prices, insane cable rates, cold temeratures, overcast days, darkeness at midnight, odors, potholes, bridges to nowhere, rampant flooding, bad zoos, a ghost town Downtown area, drunken parades, a sheep-like majority electorate, no good pizza, one single newspaper, geese flying backwards over Minooka, and global warming that is plaguing our city. Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick, man, we don't even have a Hooters! It's a sellers market, friend. People are leaving this sewer pit in droves, apparently. Strike while the iron is hot. Delay leads to complacency. Do it. Go now. Get while the getting's good. Save yourself.

The rest of us will continue to enjoy our town like we have been for years.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Nah. Get out now while you can. The you might take a financial hit now, but that'll only be in the short term. A lot better than having to deal with the incompetent administration, crippling taxes, toxic air pollution, no jobs, crappy parks, no trees, high gas prices, insane cable rates, cold temeratures, overcast days, darkeness at midnight, odors, potholes, bridges to nowhere, rampant flooding, bad zoos, a ghost town Downtown area, drunken parades, a sheep-like majority electorate, no good pizza, one single newspaper, geese flying backwards over Minooka, and global warming that is plaguing our city. Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick, man, we don't even have a Hooters! It's a sellers market, friend. People are leaving this sewer pit in droves, apparently. Strike while the iron is hot. Delay leads to complacency. Do it. Go now. Get while the getting's good. Save yourself.

The rest of us will continue to enjoy our town like we have been for years.
Trust me. Long Island, where Ed came here from, has just as many problems only you have to pay twice as much to "enjoy" them. That's why I like this area so much. No place is perfect, but at least here you pay half the price to be burdened by such quality-of-life issues while still being only two hours from NYC or Philadelphia. However, I've now just learned that I truly AM the "lone duck" out of my friends who is staying here---the last three strongholds who were also going to stay after college are also hoofing it out now. Two are headed to VA, one is hoping to head to Hawaii. Oh well! I suppose I can become great friends with Ray Lyman, Les Spindler, or Fay Franus.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:01 AM

You don't pick up on sarcasm much, do you?

Old 12-28-2007, 08:02 AM

Geese flew backwards over Minooka ... well that's just amazing!

I have to concur with CHS ... if you are not happy do not wait ... I was born here and raised here and I happen to love it here ... oh sure we have our problems ... what city/town does not have troubles ... but I still love it here.

And Dan you must love it here also ... because with all of the problems you have experienced ... you still stay ...

Old 12-28-2007, 08:04 AM

I got the sarcasim! I loved it!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
You don't pick up on sarcasm much, do you?
Sorry. I'm a bit slow sometimes. Whenever I'm facetious myself nobody understands either, hence why so many folks on the NJ forum hate me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania