U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 09:44 AM

1,689 posts, read 3,111,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I'm still splitting hairs - sorry!
No problem, enjoy! At least we know what makes you "tick"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 11:31 AM

13,320 posts, read 19,686,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truenamebrand View Post
I'm curious, does anyone have issues with stinkbugs?

The reason I ask is, I'm originally from NJ, and when I lived in NJ (about 60 miles south of where I am now) the stinkbugs were out of control. I still work in NJ, and also visited my grandmother the other day, and they are all over her windows and doors.

However, since I've lived in the Poconos, I've never had a problem with them. In fact, between the house I live in now in Effort, and my previous house in DWG, I don't think I've even seen one.

Is there a particular reason why they could be so much more prevalent just 60 miles to the southeast in NJ? Is there something here they don't like or something?

I am originally from NJ too! I have to say I owned a home in Effort also and there was a big invasion there of stink bugs.
I had to go out in the spring and spray the entire house, as far and wide as I could reach. After the spraying the amount decreased. Before I did that process I was horrified by the little buggers.
The fact that they would come in winter, when we were away, and find hiding places inside the home... would gross me out.
They have never been far from the NJ border. In fact I have seen some in Hackettstown, NJ. recently.
Do you know the history of where it began?
They came in on a cargo shipment that was placed in Allentown. ( from Asia) They then spread like wildfire into the collage dorms around the Allentown location. The students were horrified with the amount of these harmless but "scent full" creatures.
After that they spread out and about. I remember seeing some in the highest regions of the Pocono Mountains.
I am sure border areas of NJ got hit first before they spread even further out.
Beside a wasp, they are my least favorite bug. If there is such a thing as having a favorite.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:35 AM

13,320 posts, read 19,686,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
About 20% of the people are allergic to the Asian Lady bugs: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20060307/ladybug-allergies-on-rise. There is some evidence to suggest that our stink bugs also increase you chance of an allergenic reaction: http://www.aanma.org/2011/02/little-stinkers-patients-report-worsening-asthma-and-allergy-symptoms-around-stink-bugs/. So they are not entirely harmless - it depends on your definition of "normal" people?
I get a bunch of allergy symptoms when I am around these stink bugs. That odor is so putrid.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:25 PM

13,238 posts, read 10,629,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I get a bunch of allergy symptoms when I am around these stink bugs. That odor is so putrid.
The odor of the gypsy moth egg sacs and larval cocoons isn't that great either! Our duck still love them even though they smell so bad! I presume that most people have never met our Deer Kegs? They really make my skin crawl. They have wings and fly to get on you and then walk across you like a dog tick. Plus they are persistent - you knock them off and they fly back. Fortunately I have only encountered them around our swamps.

Where have you been and how many ducks do you want as pets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania