U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-25-2014, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Effort, PA
11 posts, read 13,921 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

I'm curious, does anyone have issues with stinkbugs?

The reason I ask is, I'm originally from NJ, and when I lived in NJ (about 60 miles south of where I am now) the stinkbugs were out of control. I still work in NJ, and also visited my grandmother the other day, and they are all over her windows and doors.

However, since I've lived in the Poconos, I've never had a problem with them. In fact, between the house I live in now in Effort, and my previous house in DWG, I don't think I've even seen one.

Is there a particular reason why they could be so much more prevalent just 60 miles to the southeast in NJ? Is there something here they don't like or something?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2014, 02:34 PM
 
2,654 posts, read 2,820,009 times
Reputation: 2115
Quote:
Originally Posted by truenamebrand View Post
I'm curious, does anyone have issues with stinkbugs?

The reason I ask is, I'm originally from NJ, and when I lived in NJ (about 60 miles south of where I am now) the stinkbugs were out of control. I still work in NJ, and also visited my grandmother the other day, and they are all over her windows and doors.

However, since I've lived in the Poconos, I've never had a problem with them. In fact, between the house I live in now in Effort, and my previous house in DWG, I don't think I've even seen one.

Is there a particular reason why they could be so much more prevalent just 60 miles to the southeast in NJ? Is there something here they don't like or something?
Hmmm....it could be the pizza (Check the old threads on this topic here...there are quite a few).

On a more serious note, people I know in areas near Scranton have a few but nothing that would be considered an regular infestation. Maybe they are coming!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2014, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Reputation: 9284
We had a very hard winter last winter. Perhaps that cut down their numbers? Just when you think your in the clear; the little stinkers will show up. I think that they also go through cycles where you see more sometimes than other times?

I also have not seen the infestations of the Asian lady bugs this year - but it might be a little early?

I have found some gypsy moth eggs - hopefully that will not hurt us next year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2014, 05:43 PM
 
37,069 posts, read 38,262,371 times
Reputation: 14831
I'm at a higher elevation and have only seen a handful of them around the house through the past few years. I'm temporarily at lower elevation and haven't seen one yet this year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2014, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
1,693 posts, read 3,105,847 times
Reputation: 1233
Not sure either, I had a few years where I was finding quite a few in the drapes and then last year I seemed to have very little. By now this year I should have seen one or two and I haven't seen any.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2014, 05:36 AM
 
151 posts, read 139,643 times
Reputation: 274
Is it true that these things suck blood, and transmit communicable diseases? Did the epidemic of these bugs that's been occurring in New Jersey over the past several years actually begin in or around Lyme, Connecticut?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2014, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
1,693 posts, read 3,105,847 times
Reputation: 1233
They are harmless to people and pets, they don't bite, sting, swarm, suck blood or spread disease. They are just a nuisance and smell if you try to move them, it is a defense mechanism to scare off predators who might eat them. They do however eat leaves off of crops and can damage the plants and introduce other pests to the damaged leaves. Overall, to the normal person they are just an annoyance.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2014, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Reputation: 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
They are harmless to people and pets, they don't bite, sting, swarm, suck blood or spread disease. They are just a nuisance and smell if you try to move them, it is a defense mechanism to scare off predators who might eat them. They do however eat leaves off of crops and can damage the plants and introduce other pests to the damaged leaves. Overall, to the normal person they are just an annoyance.
About 20% of the people are allergic to the Asian Lady bugs: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20060307/ladybug-allergies-on-rise. There is some evidence to suggest that our stink bugs also increase you chance of an allergenic reaction: http://www.aanma.org/2011/02/little-stinkers-patients-report-worsening-asthma-and-allergy-symptoms-around-stink-bugs/. So they are not entirely harmless - it depends on your definition of "normal" people?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2014, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
1,693 posts, read 3,105,847 times
Reputation: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
- it depends on your definition of "normal" people?
OK, I guess I could have written "most" if that makes you happier. I was more responding to what sounded like Entomophobia and trying reassure that they are not vampiric shape shifting warlocks with a penchant for human flesh.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2014, 04:50 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Reputation: 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
OK, I guess I could have written "most" if that makes you happier. I was more responding to what sounded like Entomophobia and trying reassure that they are not vampiric shape shifting warlocks with a penchant for human flesh.
I agree that I'm splitting hairs. Some people will argue that Deer Kegs are harmless compared to deer ticks. But when you have one fly onto your hair and start crawling around on your head; you don't feel they are harmless. They might only want a little blood - but they are still very creepy. Even if you have no allergenic reactions to the Asian Lady Bugs or Stink Bugs; you don't like to be awakened with one crawling on you. I'm still splitting hairs - sorry!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top