Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 11:55 AM

36 posts, read 40,465 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a house in our community, Emerald Lakes. We loves the neighbors and the way everyone is so nice. The community has so many events that allows our family to particpate. My friend who is renting a house in the community can't stand to buy a house the community. She feels it too many rules and regulations. I think the community is fun. Are there disadvantage to owning a house in a community compared to non-community property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 10:01 PM

671 posts, read 890,513 times
Yes,,,Different strokes for different folks...
If a community property's rules,regulations,cost and services/facilities are a fit for you is the considerations that have to be decided on..Along with this one should ask if it will be a fit down the road...
DO your homework,take your time and keep intellect over a summer love affair...

Old 10-14-2014, 05:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
HOA's are like government on steroids and can be a huge problem if you get some overzealous busy body Hitler wannabe on the board. They often dictate a lot about what you can and cannot do especially where the outside of your house is concerned. They might for example have rules that you can't park an RV or a boat on your property, if you can put up a fence, how high the fence can be, if you can have garden, where you can put the garden, the size of the garden or whether or not you can put a pink plastic flamingo in your lawn.

There is going to be varying degrees of control these Associations have, for example my Uncle belongs to one on a private lake. The dues are primarily used for maintenance on the lake, they set the rules for the lake like boat motor size and also take care of the community water well. Other than that they are pretty much like any community, there is not a great deal of control of what you o on your personal property unless you have property that borders the lake in which case modest rules are in place such as the size of the dock you can have.

If that amount of control is what you want so be it, carefully read before signing anything.

I'm off to plant some plastic pink flamingo's in the lawn.....

Old 10-14-2014, 07:29 AM

13 posts, read 17,632 times
Just do yourself a favor and don't move into a gated community. Gated communities are the biggest load of crap in the world.

Im not going to get elaborate too much about community vs. non-community (as the other person said, different strokes different folks) but as stated already moving into a community is going to come with its own set of rules and regulations. However the trade off you get for that may be as you listed, the events going on. Most communities do have numerous events happening and some people may find that alluring.

The problem with a gated community is that they trick the potential buyer into believing there is going to be a stronger sense of security and protection. This couldn't be further from the truth. The only ones who will be patrolling your streets are going to be mostly part-time security guards who are trying to make some extra bucks. They are mostly going to be focusing on nabbing you (the homeowner) on breaking regulations and such. When there is a REAL problem, the security isnt going to do anything. They are going to rely on the State Police, and in order for the State Police to get into your gated community, they need permission from the community first (unless of course its an extreme emergency, your life is in immediate danger).

In addition to that, most crime stays within the community itself. Most drug dealers try to use gated communities as safe havens for the reason I just listed. And most home break ins happen from within the community as well. Seldom do people from outside commit the crimes.

And lastly getting guests and visitors to your house is horrible. You have to call them in to get them through the gate. People cant come freely. On the plus side, it does stop unwanted visitors from getting to your house, but it doesnt stop them from parking the car at the gate building and just walking in. The security doesnt stop or question walk-ins. So the supposed 'gated' community isnt giving any sense of protection, just headaches and nightmares.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:31 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Get the Covenants, rules and regulations. See how much you are allowed to do with your home. See if there are restrictions you don't like, parking, for example. Go to a few HOA meetings; get some back minutes. Talk to several people and ask for specific situations that caused trouble or are good. See how it meshes with what you want.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 AM

300 posts, read 441,269 times
Being on the east coast most people aren't into HOAs especially in northern PA. If it was a second home I would personally not want it near others and not have to deal with others and pay a fee. I could see if it was my main home how it could be nice to have others to hang out with, enforce rules about having junk on the lawn, and decreased crime.

On the west coast many people don't give living in "community" or gated area another thought. It has a lower crime rate, they're surrounded by others of similar income, and keeps annoyances out. I think one of the best rules many HOAs enforce is loud vehicles. In NEPA there are all of these roughnecks with jacked up loud pickups that never go off road, but floor it at every stop sign. I love being in areas where people can't do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania