U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What National/Regional Chain(s) Would You Most Like to See Come to NEPA in 2008?
Apple Store 14 15.91%
Armani Exchange 4 4.55%
Benihana 3 3.41%
Bucca di Beppo 3 3.41%
Cheesecake Factory 18 20.45%
Costco 19 21.59%
Crate & Barrel 15 17.05%
Dave & Buster's 16 18.18%
Discovery Channel Store 5 5.68%
Dolce & Gabbana 4 4.55%
Filene's 2 2.27%
Godiva 3 3.41%
Hard Rock Cafe 7 7.95%
Hooters 11 12.50%
Hoss's Steak & Sea House 3 3.41%
Ikea 30 34.09%
IMAX Theater 16 18.18%
Linens-N-Things 7 7.95%
Nordstrom 7 7.95%
P.F. Chang's 7 7.95%
Planet Hollywood 2 2.27%
Pottery Barn 12 13.64%
Sam Goody 2 2.27%
Sharper Image 3 3.41%
Shoney's 3 3.41%
Virgin 4 4.55%
Whole Foods 25 28.41%
Williams-Sonoma 12 13.64%
Other (Please Specify Below) 11 12.50%
We Have Enough Chains in NEPA 11 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2008, 02:24 PM

128 posts, read 225,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLie View Post
You made my day! The only Sonic I have been to was in a Walmart in Orlando. If the food was good there, I can imgaine how great it is w/ the full drive in experience!
While we're at it, they should plop down a White Castle in the valley too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 02:39 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,147,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skijmpr View Post
While we're at it, they should plop down a White Castle in the valley too.
I stated that on this forum when I first joined. NEPA needs a White Castle. People who haven't eaten there don't know what they're missing. I would love a sack of "belly bombers" right about now.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 AM

25,852 posts, read 44,096,869 times
Default Sonic

The Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader has a more detailed and extensive article regarding Sonic. Apparently the Oklahoma City-based franchise will be opening 8 to 12 new locations in Columbia, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Monroe, and Schuylkill Counties by 2013.

As with every new business that comes into the region it has its fair share of proponents and detractors. There are already 34 comments online about this article, and they are a mixture of those saying "can't wait" and those saying "this sucks."

Old 05-11-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader has a more detailed and extensive article regarding Sonic. Apparently the Oklahoma City-based franchise will be opening 8 to 12 new locations in Columbia, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Monroe, and Schuylkill Counties by 2013.

As with every new business that comes into the region it has its fair share of proponents and detractors. There are already 34 comments online about this article, and they are a mixture of those saying "can't wait" and those saying "this sucks."
Given those five counties and the promise of up to 12 locations in five years, I'll throw my hat in the ring in an attempt to predict just where these franchises may pop up.

Columbia County
Buckhorn

Lackawanna County
Dickson City/Viewmont Mall Area
Montage Mountain
Northern Blvd., Chinchilla
O'Neill Highway, Dunmore

Luzerne County
Hazle Twp., Route 93
Back Mountain, Route 309
Wilkes-Barre Twp., Highland Park/Mundy Street
Pittston Twp., Pittston Crossings

Monroe County
Stroudsburg Area
Mt. Pocono Area

Schuylkill County
Route 61, Pottsville

We'll soon see how accurate my predictions are.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 AM

3,234 posts, read 4,147,323 times
Paul, I would say your predictions seem very accurate. I'm looking forward to Sonic coming to the area. As I stated before, they would be a welcome alternative to BK and McDonald's when you want to get something quick to eat.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 AM

620 posts, read 1,296,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

Put me down for...this sucks. This is the eleventh hour and if our culture wants to move into the future we've got to kick this obsession with cheap, unhealthy food. Try to remember that we are building the world our kids and grandkids will live in. Build something that can sustain them, not just something that fulfills your personal compulsion for cheap food and that doesn't support healthy lives or a healthy planet.

The CEO of shell predicts peak oil before 2015, anybody listening?

Old 05-11-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Put me down for...this sucks. This is the eleventh hour and if our culture wants to move into the future we've got to kick this obsession with cheap, unhealthy food. Try to remember that we are building the world our kids and grandkids will live in. Build something that can sustain them, not just something that fulfills your personal compulsion for cheap food and that doesn't support healthy lives or a healthy planet.

I consider myself a very healthy person. I run nearly daily, use my AbLounge, Total Gym, and Tae-Bo, etc. I have very little body fat, have a flat stomach, don't smoke, very rarely drink, and take good care of my teeth and skin. What's my dirty little secret? I can sit down and devour half a cheesecake without thinking twice. I can down an entire bag of Doritos during one televised baseball game. I ask for extra salt and butter on my overpriced popcorn when I head up to Cinemark, occasionally capped off by a "Love It" sized shake at Cold Stone Creamery.

The difference between me and the "obese" people in this country is that while I have developed a very rapid metabolism rate due to my active lifestyle that permits me to indulge myself, those who lead very sedentary lifestyles tend to also have much lower metabolic rates that are conducive to the accumulation of body fat. I myself don't "judge" people based on their weight, as my own ex-boyfriend had a few extra pounds of "fluffiness." However, it HAS become a major public health issue for so many people to have permitted themselves to become so obese that heart disease now outpaces cancer in terms of cause of death. On the plus side I've noticed more and more people strolling the streets of Downtown Wilkes-Barre on their lunch hours, indicating that more people are trying to get their recommended daily half-hour of physical exercise.

When Sonic comes to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre I'm going to order a double bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a shake and savor every moment of it. I can "compensate" for it later by working out, flossing, etc. Just because you occasionally eat unhealthy foods doesn't necessarily mean you lead an unhealthy lifestyle.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 AM

2,563 posts, read 1,401,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post

You off course are correct, BUT...nothing beats a white castle "belly bomb" on the way home fromtypo a night of adult fun....Just my buck fifty!

Last edited by bloominscranton; 05-15-2008 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 AM

4,167 posts, read 6,735,245 times
Oh white castle is great ; once in a while.

Now that it is baseball season, it is the nights of fast food in our house.

d

Old 05-15-2008, 08:29 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,168,019 times
From the Times Leader article:

Quote:
He estimated his company will invest approximately $1.5 million in each of the locations. The first, to be opened next year, will be located in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area and NEPA Burgers is close to closing on a site.
This is FANTASTIC news! The only thing that worries me is that Sonics seem to be more dependent on quality control than other fast food places, and reviews can vary based on which location you visit. I hope they go the extra step and really make this a success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania