Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:14 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times

Advertisements

OK Paul. Points well taken. I'm going to go now and start in on some festivities for the New Year. I wish everyone on the forum a Happy and healthy New Year. Though all of use may not agree on everything, wouldn't it be boring if we all did. That's variety and that's the spice of life. Be well all!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 03:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
OK Paul. Points well taken. I'm going to go now and start in on some festivities for the New Year. I wish everyone on the forum a Happy and healthy New Year. Though all of use may not agree on everything, wouldn't it be boring if we all did. That's variety and that's the spice of life. Be well all!!!!!!!
Happy New Year to everyone as well. If nothing else remember that the dawn of 2008 means just one more year until 2009...and the election of a new mayor in the Electric City.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:19 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Harbor House has great seafood and so does Jilly's. Call ahead to Jilly's to see what they have for specials. They have fresh oysters regularly and some of their entrees rock. Harbor House I think has the best seafood in the area. I haven't eaten at Coopers for a very long time. The food sucks and if you are going to compare the seafood at Coopers to seafood in the gulf then your eating at the wrong places at both ends of the country. Years of working on sportfish yachts in the Virgin Islands, Florida and the Bahamas has given me great taste for fresh fish and I will say that Coopers is the worst I have ever had not to mention that they cook the FROZEN lobster till its like chewing rubber flavored with butter. I would expect to find better seafood in Fargo, ND.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Harbor House has great seafood and so does Jilly's. Call ahead to Jilly's to see what they have for specials. They have fresh oysters regularly and some of their entrees rock. Harbor House I think has the best seafood in the area. I haven't eaten at Coopers for a very long time. The food sucks and if you are going to compare the seafood at Coopers to seafood in the gulf then your eating at the wrong places at both ends of the country. Years of working on sportfish yachts in the Virgin Islands, Florida and the Bahamas has given me great taste for fresh fish and I will say that Coopers is the worst I have ever had not to mention that they cook the FROZEN lobster till its like chewing rubber flavored with butter. I would expect to find better seafood in Fargo, ND.
I'll have to keep Harbor House, Vic-Mar's, and Hottle's in mind then on my travels. I've never eaten the lobster at Cooper's (I can't afford it), but their fish never impressed me. Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 AM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
Cooper's has the best crab bisque, which is a cream-based soup. I actually have the recipe and make it at home alot. I haven't been there in a year or so, but I don't even remember seeing a lobster bisque on the menu. I don't usually order anything at a new restaurant unless there is a good description of it in the menu or the server can describe it. It cuts down on being disappointed.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:36 AM

113 posts, read 414,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
Cooper's has the best crab bisque, which is a cream-based soup. I actually have the recipe and make it at home alot. I haven't been there in a year or so, but I don't even remember seeing a lobster bisque on the menu. I don't usually order anything at a new restaurant unless there is a good description of it in the menu or the server can describe it. It cuts down on being disappointed.
Well, I wish I had ordered the crab bisque then! Yes, lobster bisque is on the menu. Frankly, it never occured to me that a chef and/or restaurant would call a chowder a bisque, but it is Scranton after all...

CHS389, please don't get bent out of shape over that comment as I say it with affection. My husband is from Scranton and he's actually the one who has pointed out to me various, shall we say, oddities and/or differences, in the area. For instance, during my first visit, we went out for pizza in Jessup, I think. Maybe Olyphant. Anyway, when I ordered a salad, I got a strange look from the waitress, who told me they didn't have salad. Now, my husband had told me that I wouldn't find salad on the same menu as pizza before the visit, but I didn't believe him! I mean, really -- why wouldn't someone want a salad with their pizza? Also, I had never heard of pizza being ordered by the "tray" before. And who "closes" the lights? Lights get turned off!

I could go on, but will spare everyone.

So, where in the area CAN I get authentic Lobster Bisque?

Last edited by MsMilford; 01-01-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-01-2008, 11:43 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,082 times
an oil barge in the north Atlantic. They have salad too.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:04 PM

113 posts, read 414,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
an oil barge in the north Atlantic. They have salad too.
No thanks -- too far, too cold!

Maybe I'll just make my own lobster bisque. Can anyone recommend a good recipe?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:28 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Try the Harbor House. Its on Keyser Ave.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:31 PM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMilford View Post
Well, I wish I had ordered the crab bisque then! Yes, lobster bisque is on the menu. Frankly, it never occured to me that a chef and/or restaurant would call a chowder a bisque, but it is Scranton after all...

CHS389, please don't get bent out of shape over that comment as I say it with affection. My husband is from Scranton and he's actually the one who has pointed out to me various, shall we say, oddities and/or differences, in the area. For instance, during my first visit, we went out for pizza in Jessup, I think. Maybe Olyphant. Anyway, when I ordered a salad, I got a strange look from the waitress, who told me they didn't have salad. Now, my husband had told me that I wouldn't find salad on the same menu as pizza before the visit, but I didn't believe him! I mean, really -- why wouldn't someone want a salad with their pizza? Also, I had never heard of pizza being ordered by the "tray" before. And who "closes" the lights? Lights get turned off!

I could go on, but will spare everyone.

So, where in the area CAN I get authentic Lobster Bisque?
I guess all areas have their oddities. We vacationed once at Cape Cod and had a very hard time finding a restaurant that served French dressing with their salads. I think we found one or two the whole week we were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania