Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,457 times

Advertisements

hello all i am looking to move to the east strousburg area and was wondering if anyone can advice of some good areas i have heard some bad and some good about the penn estates area and same of the lake of pines area i have a autistic son and don't need to move him to a area or school system that he is going to have problems in or that is a high crime area so please any advice would be helpful thank you all so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:27 AM

191 posts, read 394,019 times
Some of the places you mentioned sound like they have an east stroudsburg mailing address but aren't actually in east stroudsburg.I live in the area, east stroudsburg isn't a huge town and is relatively descent place.Id stay away from the busier areas, the area around walmart and past their by the highschool and the chrystal street. and lackawanna ave area has some steady crime, mostly drug addicts and low lifes causing problems.The area around the college is nice and past their off milford rd is some nice areas.Most of this seeps into cresco or bushkill which are different towns but retain a east stroudsburg mailing address.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:31 AM

191 posts, read 394,019 times
I would do some sightseeing with a gps and figure out what would be your best bet.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:43 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Sugashane raises a good point about the mailing address. We live in Shawnee which has an East Stroudsburg mailing address but we are in Smithfield Township.

Another thing to keep in mind is which schools your son would attend. East Stroudsburg school district is split between North and South. Try for South, where the high school and middle school is "in town". The North counterparts are in Pike County.

My wife used to work for an agency serving families with autistic kids, so I know there are services in the area.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 AM

7 posts, read 14,693 times
I used to live in Monroe County PA. The crime rate is not as bad as people make it out to be, it is Pennsylvania after all. Penn States and Lake of the Pines are going to have cheaper rent, but with that comes people who can only afford so much each month for rent. South has a better school system. Finding work in East Stroudsburg on the other hand, now that would be a challenge. I left and went back to the City. Nice place to visit, but you need to work outside the area.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,705 times
I lived in the Poconos for 20 years and I can tell you that Lake of the Pines had trouble with their water. Penn Estates has very high taxes and dues. By the time all is said and done you will be paying $6000+ to live there. Very woodsy with lots of mosquitoes. I would stay out of all developments where you would have to pay dues. Pocono Country Place up in Tobyhanna is especially bad. Bad elements in many of these developments. My wife worked with Autistic Children for many years as a TSS (Therapeutic Support Staff). PA has excellent Autism services. She worked for Youth Advocate Programs down in Kresgeville. If you are renting there are nice apartments in East Stroudsburg and Stroudsburg. Homes are good in Pocono Highland Lake Estates. It's quiet up there, about 4 mi down a hill to get to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania