Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:51 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
LOL I'm from North Jersey and never been told to "go home" by a local even when wearing NY Mets gear!

And there are still plenty of locals around, at least from what I can see. People named Van Why, Fish, Kresge, Decker, and a few others are from families that go back generations in Monroe County. My kids have been in school, Scouts, Little League, and youth football with all of the above.
I'll take Manhattan, the Bronx and Staten Island too, it's lovely going through... North Jersey. Well, except for the traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 04:34 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
Fish, there's quite a few in my own neighborhood. Good people too.

If they are 'good' people why are they telling you to go back to where you came from? All I know is that if you went into Shoprite or WalMart in Mt. Pocono and told the first customer to go back home; they would probably stone you to death right where you stood. You would be hard pressed to find any local to back you up.

Many people from our area moved to Florida and then moved back; they could not stand the heat and humidity. Also there is a culture shock; some people don't fit in with the Born Again crowd, Holly Rollers, conservative Christians or the Cubans in Miami. Some people don't like the bugs, snakes and gators. I use to drive truck to Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa and Miami. Almost every time I was outside of my truck at night in Miami I heard shooting or I saw helicopters flying over with searchlights on the ground. The very last trip I made down there the police were after somebody only feet behind my rig as I pulled out of our guarded parking lot. Even though the weather statistics do not back up my observations; I found the West Coast of Florida (the Tampa area) had unbearable heat and humidity. I could no sooner step out of my air - conditioned truck cab and the sweat would start flowing -- even in the very early morning/late night hours.

Many of our locals also move to Tennessee and are now facing growing problems with crime. some of the same problems facing Tennessee are now affecting North and South Carolina.

I hear you; I know that you are unhappy hear. I was born in the late 1940's and have seen many changes in my lifetime. I legally carried my gun to school on the school bus and I kept a pocketknife in my pocket from the time I was in third grade. I used to take a gun and my dog and walk a mile in the woods when I was eight without seeing another house. But change was inevitable; you cannot stop it. You also have to go with the flow and take advantage of opportunities when they open up.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:02 PM

161 posts, read 262,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If they are 'good' people why are they telling you to go back to where you came from?

Many people from our area moved to Florida and then moved back; they could not stand the heat and humidity. Also there is a culture shock; some people don't fit in with the Born Again crowd, Holly Rollers, conservative Christians or the Cubans in Miami. Some people don't like the bugs, snakes and gators.

Many of our locals also move to Tennessee and are now facing growing problems with crime. some of the same problems facing Tennessee are now affecting North and South Carolina.

I hear you; I know that you are unhappy hear. I was born in the late 1940's and have seen many changes in my lifetime. I legally carried my gun to school on the school bus and I kept a pocketknife in my pocket from the time I was in third grade. I used to take a gun and my dog and walk a mile in the woods when I was eight without seeing another house. But change was inevitable; you cannot stop it. You also have to go with the flow and take advantage of opportunities when they open up.
Fish, it isn't my neighbors who are the ones telling me to go back. By default, they had to get to know me because they were stuck with me. They realized that I wasn't the enemy. I wasn't much different from them and didn't like the changes here either.

Now when I talk about moving, they're the ones saying "don't go..." lol

I was in FL in late June. It was around 100 for the week I was there. It was certainly hot and humid, but my friends have a big pool, and being in and out of the pool and the air conditioned house all day made it bearable.

I think of it this way: here I am stuck in the house 6 months a year because of snow, ice and cold. In FL, even if I was stuck inside 3 months a year because of heat, I'd be outside the other 9 months a year so I'd still be ahead of the game.

And where my friends live, there is always an ocean breeze, 365 days a year. It helps.

I practically live on my deck all summer long. So when I'm stuck in the house I'm utterly miserable.

We certainly don't fit in with the holy roller crowd. I know they're rampant down there. But again, it depends on where you are. My friends on Merritt found that the majority of their neighbors are transplants from the northeast, mostly from NY. They have more friends down there now than they ever did when they lived in Penn Estates.

As far as crime- you can't escape it. It's everywhere. And as poverty escalates, so does crime. So I guess being in a good neighborhood in FL is safer than being in a poor neighborhood here? I dunno. I've been down there 3 times, and never had any issues even late at night, at least in that area. Miami or Jax, probably another story altogether. Or Orlando... ugh.

My friend told me Brevard county, Space Coast area is the best.

I just really can't stand it here anymore, hate the cold, am in constant pain due to arthritis, and I'm just itching to be somewhere else- someplace warm. And in that FL heat, for the first time in months, my joints didn't hurt.

And yes, I know the grass is always greener... but that's life I guess. lol

Old 09-09-2015, 07:06 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
Sorry, but as someone who moved out of Brevard County when I graduated high school and never looked back, I would *never* move there year-round.

Every winter I still visit my mom in the same house in Cocoa that I spent my youth, and despite the gorgeous colors and warmth, I know that it's not like that most of the time.

I argue the opposite of you: I have three months of unbearable cold/snow/ice here and 9 months of great weather, ranging from chilly yet sunny & hopeful spring, to clear and warm and sunny summer, to amazingly colorful, crisp fall. In Florida, you will have three, maybe four, maybe five months of bearable warmth (depending on your tolerance for pain), and at least six months, often nine months, of unbearable oven-like temperatures with steam to boot.

I used to hate getting out of the shower and toweling off sweat. I would shower two, three times a day. I got summer colds from the constant blasting heat-to-icy-A/C-to-blasting heat-to icy A/C all day long (I worked jobs that required travel and inside-outside, and that made it exponentially worse)

In terms of people, yeah, it's heavily conservative Christian and not particularly tolerant, though with time, things will change, I believe. Even though I wasn't a Northerner, I always talked too fast for most people, and was highly impatient with the slower pace of life.

Culturally speaking, there's not a heck of a lot to look forward to in Brevard County. There's a zoo. I think some spring training baseball games. There might be a small museum or two; oh, there's a planetarium in Cocoa at BCC. There's little in the way of nightlife beyond bars. I do love the space center and the launches; miss those terribly.

The area does have a great range of water-based activities, but I also know from experience that going in the ocean in August-September is pretty much like taking a warm bath, and not refreshing at all when you're about to die of hyperthermia from doing anything active at all, like, say, walking on the lava-like sand to get to the water.

Insects: huge flying roaches and fire ants. Need I say more?

I've never been in a body of fresh water in Florida because of copperheads and gators. And because I no longer live full time on the Indian River, when I visit now, I notice the near-complete dearth of marine life in it. It used to be teeming with fish and horseshoe crabs when I was a kid, and, more rarely, manatee and even the occasional gator (yes, they will go in salt water). Now, I presume because of warmer temperatures and agricultural runoff (lawn fertilizer, etc.), it's close to barren around my mother's house.

All in all, Florida is great for a visit, even a long visit. But I love seasons; love how special spring is in comparison with the dead of winter. Even fall, despite what's around the corner, is a beautiful time of year. I would miss too much living there year-round.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Sorry, but as someone who moved out of Brevard County when I graduated high school and never looked back, I would *never* move there year-round.

Every winter I still visit my mom in the same house in Cocoa that I spent my youth, and despite the gorgeous colors and warmth, I know that it's not like that most of the time.

I argue the opposite of you: I have three months of unbearable cold/snow/ice here and 9 months of great weather, ranging from chilly yet sunny & hopeful spring, to clear and warm and sunny summer, to amazingly colorful, crisp fall. In Florida, you will have three, maybe four, maybe five months of bearable warmth (depending on your tolerance for pain), and at least six months, often nine months, of unbearable oven-like temperatures with steam to boot.

I used to hate getting out of the shower and toweling off sweat. I would shower two, three times a day. I got summer colds from the constant blasting heat-to-icy-A/C-to-blasting heat-to icy A/C all day long (I worked jobs that required travel and inside-outside, and that made it exponentially worse)

In terms of people, yeah, it's heavily conservative Christian and not particularly tolerant, though with time, things will change, I believe. Even though I wasn't a Northerner, I always talked too fast for most people, and was highly impatient with the slower pace of life.

Culturally speaking, there's not a heck of a lot to look forward to in Brevard County. There's a zoo. I think some spring training baseball games. There might be a small museum or two; oh, there's a planetarium in Cocoa at BCC. There's little in the way of nightlife beyond bars. I do love the space center and the launches; miss those terribly.

The area does have a great range of water-based activities, but I also know from experience that going in the ocean in August-September is pretty much like taking a warm bath, and not refreshing at all when you're about to die of hyperthermia from doing anything active at all, like, say, walking on the lava-like sand to get to the water.

Insects: huge flying roaches and fire ants. Need I say more?

I've never been in a body of fresh water in Florida because of copperheads and gators. And because I no longer live full time on the Indian River, when I visit now, I notice the near-complete dearth of marine life in it. It used to be teeming with fish and horseshoe crabs when I was a kid, and, more rarely, manatee and even the occasional gator (yes, they will go in salt water). Now, I presume because of warmer temperatures and agricultural runoff (lawn fertilizer, etc.), it's close to barren around my mother's house.

All in all, Florida is great for a visit, even a long visit. But I love seasons; love how special spring is in comparison with the dead of winter. Even fall, despite what's around the corner, is a beautiful time of year. I would miss too much living there year-round.
You make a lot of very good points. Particularly the one about the huge flying roaches.

Yes- I know those quite well. I grew up in Brooklyn and had to deal with them all the time I lived there. They call them "palmetto bugs" in FL. We called them "waterbugs" in Brooklyn. They are the same- the American cockroach, one of the largest species of roach on earth.

Yes- I will give you that one. I am horrified of them and that IS a major concern for me. On my 3 trips down there I didn't see a single one though. But I know they're around. And way too big for those little anole/gecko lizards to eat... :-O

My friend does say she misses the seasons. I think I would too.

About things to do, we're both retirement age. We're looking for nature related activities, maybe some live theater and concerts. We're not the nightlife type. I can't stand bars. We like the quiet life.

I hear ya about the conservative Christians types. We have plenty of them here as well. They are best avoided.

But this is why we plan on renting before making any commitment.

I would also consider Greenville, SC, which is also the Bible belt. But the climate is much better there, and they do have 4 seasons. Greenville is in the mountains, and it looks a LOT like PA.

All I know is I can no longer tolerate the winters here. Arthritis + cold = unbearable pain. Even "chilly" is a major problem for me now...

And like I said, if some tourist monstrosity goes up next to us we're gone...

Who knows what the future holds? Nobody. Life can change in the blink of an eye and then all bets are off...

I appreciate you're taking the time to respond, and you made some very valid points.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:19 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
A palmetto bug is not the same as an American cockroach (Periplaneta americana). It's actual name is a Florida woods cockroach (Eurycotis floridana). They're easily confused for one another. Palmetto bugs are not generally found indoors or considered a home pest. The adults actually spray when startled.

My grandmother spent over 20s years in the Tampa area and left due to increasing crime rates. My aunt who lives in Melbourne has said crime is rising rapidly there as well.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Palmetto bugs are not generally found indoors or considered a home pest.
I beg to differ. In most of high school, when I got up earlier than anyone else in the house, my daily routine was to creep from my bedroom and down the hall, downstairs, and in each room on my way to the kitchen, I would gingerly put my arm into the next room and feel for the light switch, turn it on and jump back to let the insects scuttle into hiding. One morning, I got to the kitchen and turned on the light in that manner and saw a monstrous roach fly up to the ceiling (this was not unusual). I got out the Raid, and a step-stool and climbed up for maximum spray effect.

Just as I sprayed it, a huge spider dropped down on a web right in front of my eyes. I can still see that scene and hear my shrieks.

That was pretty routine for Florida. You won't necessarily see the bugs in broad daylight. Night-time? All bets are off.

I had to walk down the road to the bus stop in darkness, and back then it wasn't solidly built up and I was walking with swamp jungle on either side of me and omg, the noises I heard and the rustlings... Nothing ever attacked me, though, so there's that....

Then I waited for the bus alongside the river and the dock there was the frequent stopping point for a local manatee, and that was simply awesome to behold.

We have a pond in the front of our house and we often find gators in it and have to call the authorities to come wrassle them out and take them away. This is not a rural area, mind you, it's in a suburban area on a heavily traveled road.

Lots of extremes in Florida....

ETA: Hurricanes. Not to be messed with. I personally love weather extremes like hurricanes, but they are dangerous and many folks are legitimately unnerved by them. Don't leave those out of your equation.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
A palmetto bug is not the same as an American cockroach (Periplaneta americana). It's actual name is a Florida woods cockroach (Eurycotis floridana). They're easily confused for one another. Palmetto bugs are not generally found indoors or considered a home pest. The adults actually spray when startled.

My grandmother spent over 20s years in the Tampa area and left due to increasing crime rates. My aunt who lives in Melbourne has said crime is rising rapidly there as well.
Really? Well I stand corrected then. I appreciate the info.

However, I'm sure I will be just as horrified of the species you mention as the American version... :-O

They spray? Oh dear lord... insert shriek here... :-/

My friend said they generally don't come indoors, unlike the ones in cities. She said if you get rid of any "palmetto" palms near your house you shouldn't have a problem. I don't know if this is true or not.

They DO have fire ants and have to spray around the house to keep them under control. Their house is concrete block, and pretty tight, so they don't have a bug problem there.

Crime- yeah, it's everywhere. You can't get away from it anymore unfortunately.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ. In most of high school, when I got up earlier than anyone else in the house, my daily routine was to creep from my bedroom and down the hall, downstairs, and in each room on my way to the kitchen, I would gingerly put my arm into the next room and feel for the light switch, turn it on and jump back to let the insects scuttle into hiding. One morning, I got to the kitchen and turned on the light in that manner and saw a monstrous roach fly up to the ceiling (this was not unusual). I got out the Raid, and a step-stool and climbed up for maximum spray effect.

Just as I sprayed it, a huge spider dropped down on a web right in front of my eyes. I can still see that scene and hear my shrieks.

That was pretty routine for Florida. You won't necessarily see the bugs in broad daylight. Night-time? All bets are off.
Eeeeeek!!!!!

That's how it was in Brooklyn! OMG!

Maybe it depends on how tight your house is? I spent a month on Merritt Island and never once saw a bug in my friends house. Lizards, yes, they were all over the place and would run into the house when you opened the door.

But then, they are so darn cute...

Quote:

I had to walk down the road to the bus stop in darkness, and back then it wasn't solidly built up and I was walking with swamp jungle on either side of me and omg, the noises I heard and the rustlings... Nothing ever attacked me, though, so there's that....

Then I waited for the bus alongside the river and the dock there was the frequent stopping point for a local manatee, and that was simply awesome to behold.

We have a pond in the front of our house and we often find gators in it and have to call the authorities to come wrassle them out and take them away. This is not a rural area, mind you, it's in a suburban area on a heavily traveled road.

Lots of extremes in Florida....

ETA: Hurricanes. Not to be messed with. I personally love weather extremes like hurricanes, but they are dangerous and many folks are legitimately unnerved by them. Don't leave those out of your equation.
My friends have a large man made pond in their back yard also, and they have had a gator once or twice. I'm aware of that.

We did see a manatee cow and her calf on Merritt, it was an awesome sight. What lovely, placid, delightful creatures they are.

About the weather, yes, hurricanes will be a problem. But a lot of the homes I see down there have steel hurricane shutters. I don't know how well these help, but I would think they would be a good thing to have anyway.

The things that scare me about FL are flooding, and sinkholes... and the bugs, of course. We've been through several hurricanes and 1 tornado here in PA. We've spent a week without power more times than I care to count, especially in winter with the blizzards. Living here without at least a portable generator is unwise.

However, I have never been through a FL hurricane, and no doubt that a whole other level of scary...

Old 09-11-2015, 07:55 AM

Insurance is also a huge problem in Fla. Many companies have pulled out and the ones that remain charge thousands of dollars, even for inland homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania